    My daughter gave me her 8 year old digital camera a Canon powershot S20
    with a memory card..FC16M..and I want to buy another memory card...that
    would allow me to take more pictures.

    elliot, Jan 31, 2008

  2. elliot

    ray Guest

    On Wed, 30 Jan 2008 20:44:14 -0500, elliot wrote:

    > My daughter gave me her 8 year old digital camera a Canon powershot S20
    > with a memory card..FC16M..and I want to buy another memory card...that
    > would allow me to take more pictures.

    OK - so what's stopping you? BTW - did you mean CF instead of FC? CF is
    Compact Flash - probably an 8mb card - you can now get a 1gb CF card for
    around $10-15.

    ray, Jan 31, 2008

  3. On 31 Jan 2008 01:55:45 GMT, ray wrote:
    > On Wed, 30 Jan 2008 20:44:14 -0500, elliot wrote:
    >
    >> My daughter gave me her 8 year old digital camera a Canon powershot S20
    >> with a memory card..FC16M..and I want to buy another memory card...that
    >> would allow me to take more pictures.

    > OK - so what's stopping you? BTW - did you mean CF instead of FC? CF is
    > Compact Flash - probably an 8mb card - you can now get a 1gb CF card for
    > around $10-15.

    But, I wouldn't go any higher than 1GB on a camera _that_ old. I have
    several cameras a l m o s t that old and one or two of'em go kah-kah
    with even a 2GB card.

    Borrow one -- try it first, before commiting yourself to a 'large'
    purchase.

    Jonesy
    --
    Marvin L Jones | jonz | W3DHJ | linux
    *** Killfiling google posts: <http://jonz.net/ng.htm>

    Allodoxaphobia, Jan 31, 2008
  4. elliot

    Ron Hunter Guest

    elliot wrote:
    > My daughter gave me her 8 year old digital camera a Canon powershot S20
    > with a memory card..FC16M..and I want to buy another memory card...that
    > would allow me to take more pictures.

    The camera uses Compact Flash cards, which are readily available in
    sizes up to 32GB. I suspect that a 1GB card would hold all the pictures
    you will probably ever take with it, at ONCE. Should cost less than $10.
    Enjoy!

    Ron Hunter, Jan 31, 2008
  5. elliot

    ray Guest

    On Thu, 31 Jan 2008 02:26:32 +0000, Allodoxaphobia wrote:

    > On 31 Jan 2008 01:55:45 GMT, ray wrote:
    >> On Wed, 30 Jan 2008 20:44:14 -0500, elliot wrote:
    >>
    >>> My daughter gave me her 8 year old digital camera a Canon powershot
    >>> S20 with a memory card..FC16M..and I want to buy another memory
    >>> card...that would allow me to take more pictures.

    >> OK - so what's stopping you? BTW - did you mean CF instead of FC? CF is
    >> Compact Flash - probably an 8mb card - you can now get a 1gb CF card
    >> for around $10-15.

    > But, I wouldn't go any higher than 1GB on a camera _that_ old. I have
    > several cameras a l m o s t that old and one or two of'em go kah-kah
    > with even a 2GB card.

    I'm somewhat surprised that 1gb works and 2gb doesn't. They are both
    generally formatted fat16.

    ray, Jan 31, 2008
  6. elliot

    elliot Guest

    I think part of the problem is understanding compatability of the many
    memory type cards I a see in the stores..and concern about buying and
    not being able to use...

    Thank you all for the advice...I did find one thought a bit
    funny..."Borrow one"...you would be surprised at my age, 73 how few
    friends or people I know who who even take pictures much less own a
    digitial camera...but Im sure there are quite a few older camera buffs
    around...simply not in my circle..

    elliot, Jan 31, 2008
  7. On 31 Jan 2008 06:54:59 GMT, ray wrote:
    > On Thu, 31 Jan 2008 02:26:32 +0000, Allodoxaphobia wrote:

    >>> OK - so what's stopping you? BTW - did you mean CF instead of FC? CF is
    >>> Compact Flash - probably an 8mb card - you can now get a 1gb CF card
    >>> for around $10-15.

    >> But, I wouldn't go any higher than 1GB on a camera _that_ old. I have
    >> several cameras a l m o s t that old and one or two of'em go kah-kah
    >> with even a 2GB card.

    > I'm somewhat surprised that 1gb works and 2gb doesn't. They are both
    > generally formatted fat16.

    I'm not -- surprised, that is.

    I am an old, Old, OLDE Mainframe _Assembler_ Programmer. The code in
    the on-board logic probably cut corners: using 16-bit counters for
    something where 32-bit counters are (now) more appropriate; ignoring
    OVERFLOW because (when the code was written) it "can't happen"; etc., usw.

    Remember Y2K? Same idiotic programming technique: using a 2-byte field
    for the year .... because the code couldn't possibly still be in use
    when the year 2000 came around.

    So, back when a 64MB CF card was the biggest and the cameras were
    shipping with 8MB cards, guess what played a part in the "design process"?

    Jonesy

    Allodoxaphobia, Jan 31, 2008
  8. elliot

    ray Guest

    On Thu, 31 Jan 2008 18:24:12 +0000, Allodoxaphobia wrote:

    > On 31 Jan 2008 06:54:59 GMT, ray wrote:

    >>> But, I wouldn't go any higher than 1GB on a camera _that_ old. I have
    >>> several cameras a l m o s t that old and one or two of'em go kah-kah
    >>> with even a 2GB card.

    >> I'm somewhat surprised that 1gb works and 2gb doesn't. They are both
    >> generally formatted fat16.

    > I'm not -- surprised, that is.
    >
    > I am an old, Old, OLDE Mainframe _Assembler_ Programmer. The code in
    > the on-board logic probably cut corners: using 16-bit counters for
    > something where 32-bit counters are (now) more appropriate; ignoring
    > OVERFLOW because (when the code was written) it "can't happen"; etc.,
    > usw.

    I've done my share of assembler programming - mostly Univac 1100 series
    and PDP-11, though I've also dabbled in 6502 and Z80. It's usually
    worthwhile doing things 'right'.

    > Remember Y2K? Same idiotic programming technique: using a 2-byte field
    > for the year .... because the code couldn't possibly still be in use
    > when the year 2000 came around.

    Idocy was not in using a 2-byte field, but in carrying it as characters
    rather than numeric - after all 1 byte holds 0-511; 511 years from, say,
    1900 is a long time.

    > So, back when a 64MB CF card was the biggest and the cameras were
    > shipping with 8MB cards, guess what played a part in the "design
    > process"?

    What? Stupidity? It rarely takes much more to get it right.

    ray, Jan 31, 2008
  9. elliot

    Ron Hunter Guest

    Allodoxaphobia wrote:
    > On 31 Jan 2008 06:54:59 GMT, ray wrote:

    >>> But, I wouldn't go any higher than 1GB on a camera _that_ old. I have
    >>> several cameras a l m o s t that old and one or two of'em go kah-kah
    >>> with even a 2GB card.

    >> I'm somewhat surprised that 1gb works and 2gb doesn't. They are both
    >> generally formatted fat16.

    > I'm not -- surprised, that is.
    >
    > I am an old, Old, OLDE Mainframe _Assembler_ Programmer. The code in
    > the on-board logic probably cut corners: using 16-bit counters for
    > something where 32-bit counters are (now) more appropriate; ignoring
    > OVERFLOW because (when the code was written) it "can't happen"; etc., usw.
    >
    > Remember Y2K? Same idiotic programming technique: using a 2-byte field
    > for the year .... because the code couldn't possibly still be in use
    > when the year 2000 came around.
    >
    > So, back when a 64MB CF card was the biggest and the cameras were
    > shipping with 8MB cards, guess what played a part in the "design process"?
    >

    > Jonesy

    Some manufacturers also cut costs by putting fewer address lines on the
    interface than the specifications would indicate. When the biggest
    cards available were 64 meg, why include enough lines for 2 or 4GB? the
    camera in question is said to support 340MG Microdrives. It is a 3.3mp
    camera, and I suspect that a 1GB card would hold about 5000 pictures,
    with average compression.

    Ron Hunter, Jan 31, 2008
  10. elliot

    Nervous Nick Guest

    On Jan 31, 12:24 pm, Allodoxaphobia <> wrote:
    > On 31 Jan 2008 06:54:59 GMT, ray wrote:

    <snip>
    > I am an old, Old, OLDE Mainframe _Assembler_ Programmer. The code in
    > the on-board logic probably cut corners: using 16-bit counters for
    > something where 32-bit counters are (now) more appropriate; ignoring
    > OVERFLOW because (when the code was written) it "can't happen"; etc., usw.

    </snip>

    Pshaw! You aint old, Sir.

    I'm so old that when I was a young un, the term "core dump" meant when
    the weed fell outta your reefer cause you didn't roll the durned thing
    tight enough.

    Now that's Olde.

    --
    YOP...

    Nervous Nick, Jan 31, 2008
  11. elliot

    Dave Cohen Guest

    Ron Hunter wrote:
    > Allodoxaphobia wrote:

    >>> I'm somewhat surprised that 1gb works and 2gb doesn't. They are both
    >>> generally formatted fat16.

    >> I'm not -- surprised, that is.
    >> I am an old, Old, OLDE Mainframe _Assembler_ Programmer. The code in
    >> the on-board logic probably cut corners: using 16-bit counters for
    >> something where 32-bit counters are (now) more appropriate; ignoring
    >> OVERFLOW because (when the code was written) it "can't happen"; etc.,
    >> usw.
    >>
    >> Remember Y2K? Same idiotic programming technique: using a 2-byte
    >> field for the year .... because the code couldn't possibly still be
    >> in use when the year 2000 came around.
    >>
    >> So, back when a 64MB CF card was the biggest and the cameras were
    >> shipping with 8MB cards, guess what played a part in the "design
    >> process"?
    >>

    >> Jonesy

    > Some manufacturers also cut costs by putting fewer address lines on the
    > interface than the specifications would indicate. When the biggest
    > cards available were 64 meg, why include enough lines for 2 or 4GB? the
    > camera in question is said to support 340MG Microdrives. It is a 3.3mp
    > camera, and I suspect that a 1GB card would hold about 5000 pictures,
    > with average compression.

    Quite true, which is why people in this group shouldn't be so quick to
    post recommendations they haven't had a chance to test.
    Dave Cohen

    Dave Cohen, Feb 1, 2008
  12. elliot

    elliot Guest

    I am a bit confused..My present FC16M memory card for the 3.3mp tells me
    I can take 16 pics at maxium level..more if I sacrifice quality...but
    5000..I would love to hear more...

    elliot, Feb 1, 2008
  13. elliot

    Paul Furman Guest

    elliot wrote:
    > Ron Hunter wrote:
    >>
    >> Some manufacturers also cut costs by putting fewer address lines on the
    >> interface than the specifications would indicate. When the biggest
    >> cards available were 64 meg, why include enough lines for 2 or 4GB? the
    >> camera in question is said to support 340MG Microdrives. It is a 3.3mp
    >> camera, and I suspect that a 1GB card would hold about 5000 pictures,
    >> with average compression.

    > I am a bit confused..My present FC16M memory card for the 3.3mp tells me
    > I can take 16 pics at maxium level..more if I sacrifice quality...but
    > 5000..I would love to hear more...

    My old 3.3MP camera makes about 1.5MB jpegs at high quality. I think
    that works out to around 1,300 pictures on a 2GB card (but don't trust
    my math LOL). If that's right, a 32GB card would hold almost 50,000
    pictures.

    Yep, if I set my DSLR to smallest low quality 2.5MP, the 2GB card says
    it'll hold 3,000 shots. Doing time lapse movies, I've filled the card on
    that setting.

    Paul Furman, Feb 1, 2008
  14. (elliot) wrote:
    >I am a bit confused..My present FC16M memory card for the 3.3mp tells me
    >I can take 16 pics at maxium level..more if I sacrifice quality...but
    >5000..I would love to hear more...

    Very basic arithmetic: 16M probably refers to the size of the card, i.e.
    16MB. Assuming typical capacity for 16 pictures means 1MB per picture on
    average which is also a reasonably good match for a 3MP camera at high
    quality compression.
    For a 2GB card this translates into 2000 pictures of 1MB each.

    Actually 2GB is even at the lower end of todays memory card sizes. You can
    get cards as large as 32GB. But for older cameras 2GB is a frequent limit
    because the file system they use (FAT16) cannot support more than 2GB. More
    modern cameras also support FAT32 where the file system size can be way
    higher.

    jue

    Jürgen Exner, Feb 1, 2008
  15. elliot

    elliot Guest

    thank you very much I am impressed...I will buy a 2GB ASAP...now battery
    life next...my daughter complained her battery on the camera she gave me
    didnt last too long..(I dont jknow how long "too long" is)

    I can carry an extra or a charger but wonder if some batteries last
    significantly longer?

    elliot, Feb 1, 2008
  16. elliot

    Ron Hunter Guest

    elliot wrote:
    > I am a bit confused..My present FC16M memory card for the 3.3mp tells me
    > I can take 16 pics at maxium level..more if I sacrifice quality...but
    > 5000..I would love to hear more...

    1GB is is 62.5 times a 16mb card. I can only assume that your camera is
    set to do no compression, or to save in something really wasteful, like
    uncompressed TIFF. My estimate is for compressed .jpg files. On my 3mp
    camera, I usually got files in the 100k to 300k size range, and a LOT of
    them would fit on a 1GB card. In any case, for about $7.95, you should
    be able to find a 1GB CF card, which should work in your camera and give
    you a LOT more than 16 pictures, even at maximum file size.

    Ron Hunter, Feb 1, 2008
  17. (elliot) wrote:
    > battery
    >life next...my daughter complained her battery on the camera she gave me
    >didnt last too long..(I dont jknow how long "too long" is)

    That is an unfortunate truth in particular for older compact cameras. There
    are some technics to prolong batterie life like e.g. to set the LCD to
    shortest possible display because that one drains the batteries fast.

    >I can carry an extra or a charger but wonder if some batteries last
    >significantly longer?

    Too little information. Disposable or rechargable? Standard size or custom
    format? Which technology (Zink-Carbon, Alkaline, Li, ...resp. Ni-Cd, Ni-MH,
    Li-Ion, ...)? Please see
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battery_(electricity)#Classification_of_batteries
    for an overview.

    All batteries, disposables as well as rechargables, are affected by age,
    even if they are not being used. Disposables self-discharge, rechargables
    self-discharge and will have a reduced maximum charge. Of course different
    technologies age in different ways. Also rechargables have a maximum number
    of recharge cycles. So maybe it is time to replace the batterie.

    In addition to that each technology has it's own quirks like e.g. the memory
    effect in Ni-Cd. Some effects can be reversed or at least reduced, but the
    methods are different for each technology.

    This question has been discussed with religious fanatism in the past, please
    see DejaNews (aka Google) for details. Some additional information is
    available at
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battery_(electricity)#Battery_lifetime,
    too. In general it is a good idea to follow the recomendations of the
    manufacturer.

    jue

    Jürgen Exner, Feb 1, 2008
  18. elliot

    measekite Guest

    Ron Hunter wrote:
    > elliot wrote:
    >> I am a bit confused..My present FC16M memory card for the 3.3mp tells me
    >> I can take 16 pics at maxium level..more if I sacrifice quality...but
    >> 5000..I would love to hear more...
    >>

    > 1GB is is 62.5 times a 16mb card. I can only assume that your camera
    > is set to do no compression, or to save in something really wasteful,
    > like uncompressed TIFF.

    It is not wasteful. TIFF is not a lossy format.
    > My estimate is for compressed .jpg files. On my 3mp camera,

    Totally obsolete

    measekite, Feb 1, 2008
  19. "elliot" <> wrote in message
    >I am a bit confused..My present FC16M memory card for the 3.3mp tells me
    > I can take 16 pics at maxium level..more if I sacrifice quality...but
    > 5000..I would love to hear more...

    The 16M probably means it is a 16 meg card. If the 16 meg card holds aprox
    16 images that would imply one image takes up aprox 1 meg. So a 1 gig card
    would then hold aprox 1000 to 1024 (depending on the counting method used by
    the manufacturer) 1 meg images. But memory manufacturers and camera
    manufacturers are terrible about estimating. And if the images are
    compressed things get even more complicated because each image will take a
    slightly different amount of memory to store.

    But most older cameras I have used would, at least, be able to use a 1 gig
    card which would give you an estimated 1000 shots. But don't count on a firm
    number. That would be an estimate only. Even the camera can be off in its
    estimates. One camera I have, when I put a particular card in (blank) it
    shows I have a capacity of 625 images. But from experience I know I
    regualarly get about 1000 images before the camera can't put any more images
    on the card.

    Randy

    Randy Berbaum, Feb 2, 2008
  20. elliot

    jean Guest

    > I've done my share of assembler programming - mostly Univac 1100 series
    > and PDP-11, though I've also dabbled in 6502 and Z80. It's usually
    > worthwhile doing things 'right'.

    I used to fix 1100s and PDPs ;-)

    Jean

    jean, Feb 2, 2008