    Which is the best card to use and why please.

    TIA

    , Sep 5, 2003

  2. max Guest

    On Fri, 05 Sep 2003 01:16:33 GMT, wrote:

    >I have a digital camera that can accept either a Multi Media memory
    >expansion card or a SD memory card.
    >
    >Which is the best card to use and why please.
    >
    >TIA

    Compact Flash would be my recommendation, and is used for many
    different portable products, as well as in Professional digi cams.
    Reliable and much cheaper than Sony memory stick, which you're paying
    sony tax on.

    max, Sep 5, 2003

  3. Isn't Memory Card (MC) limited to 128MB unless you get the Pro or
    'switchable' variety?

    SD is presently available in 256MB size (maybe 512MB), and 1GB by the end of
    the year.

    A 256MB card should cost you about $130+GST, I recently saw them advertised
    in a catalogue (100%?) tor substancially more than this.

    I can't tell you the difference between the two. SD is available in larger
    capacity, which alone is reason to buy. SD cards also have locks to prevent
    them being overwritten (or at least mine does, my MMC card does not).

    The Other Guy

    "E. Scrooge" < (remove eye)> wrote in message

    > <> wrote in message
    > > I have a digital camera that can accept either a Multi Media memory
    > > expansion card or a SD memory card.
    > >
    > > Which is the best card to use and why please.
    > >
    > > TIA

    > Sony Memory Stick - can have a good size memory for it's small size.
    >
    > It might help saying what brand of camera you've got while still kepping

    the

    The Other Guy, Sep 5, 2003
  4. Brett Moffat Guest

    max <> wrote in

    > On Fri, 05 Sep 2003 01:16:33 GMT, wrote:
    >
    >>I have a digital camera that can accept either a Multi Media memory
    >>expansion card or a SD memory card.
    >>
    >>Which is the best card to use and why please.
    >>
    >>TIA

    > Compact Flash would be my recommendation, and is used for many
    > different portable products, as well as in Professional digi cams.
    > Reliable and much cheaper than Sony memory stick, which you're paying
    > sony tax on.

    Why don't you guys RTFQ, he's asking about the difference between SD Cards
    and Multimedia Cards.

    Max, here's a link that may help
    http://www.geocities.com/romidar/mmcvssd.htm

    Brett Moffat, Sep 5, 2003
  5. max Guest

    On Fri, 5 Sep 2003 10:10:00 +0000 (UTC), Brett Moffat
    <eeek!@mouse.com> wrote:

    >max <> wrote in
    >
    >> On Fri, 05 Sep 2003 01:16:33 GMT, wrote:
    >>
    >>>I have a digital camera that can accept either a Multi Media memory
    >>>expansion card or a SD memory card.
    >>>
    >>>Which is the best card to use and why please.
    >>>
    >>>TIA

    >> Compact Flash would be my recommendation, and is used for many
    >> different portable products, as well as in Professional digi cams.
    >> Reliable and much cheaper than Sony memory stick, which you're paying
    >> sony tax on.

    >Why don't you guys RTFQ, he's asking about the difference between SD Cards
    >and Multimedia Cards.
    >
    >Max, here's a link that may help
    >http://www.geocities.com/romidar/mmcvssd.htm

    Both formats are on the way out and aren't really worth considering.
    SD will last longer than MM(according to my camera shop).

    max, Sep 6, 2003
  6. max wrote:
    > On Fri, 5 Sep 2003 10:10:00 +0000 (UTC), Brett Moffat
    > <eeek!@mouse.com> wrote:
    >
    >> max <> wrote in

    >>> Compact Flash would be my recommendation, and is used for many
    >>> different portable products, as well as in Professional digi cams.
    >>> Reliable and much cheaper than Sony memory stick, which you're
    >>> paying sony tax on.

    >> Why don't you guys RTFQ, he's asking about the difference between SD
    >> Cards and Multimedia Cards.
    >>
    >> Max, here's a link that may help
    >> http://www.geocities.com/romidar/mmcvssd.htm

    > Both formats are on the way out and aren't really worth considering.
    > SD will last longer than MM(according to my camera shop).

    "I have a digital camera that will accept EITHER a MMC or a SD card". He's
    not asking what is the best kind of memory out there. He can have EITHER MMC
    or SD. He can't use anything except for MMC or SD. Got it?

    Cheers,
    Nicholas Sherlock

    Nicholas Sherlock, Sep 6, 2003
  7. max Guest

    On Sat, 6 Sep 2003 13:54:21 +1200, "Nicholas Sherlock"
    <> wrote:

    >max wrote:
    >> On Fri, 5 Sep 2003 10:10:00 +0000 (UTC), Brett Moffat
    >> <eeek!@mouse.com> wrote:
    >>
    >>> max <> wrote in

    >>> Why don't you guys RTFQ, he's asking about the difference between SD
    >>> Cards and Multimedia Cards.
    >>>
    >>> Max, here's a link that may help
    >>> http://www.geocities.com/romidar/mmcvssd.htm

    >> Both formats are on the way out and aren't really worth considering.
    >> SD will last longer than MM(according to my camera shop).

    >"I have a digital camera that will accept EITHER a MMC or a SD card". He's
    >not asking what is the best kind of memory out there. He can have EITHER MMC
    >or SD. He can't use anything except for MMC or SD. Got it?
    >
    >Cheers,
    >Nicholas Sherlock

    OK I haven't come across that type of digital camera before, must be a
    low spec or older model one. The ones I have seem accept almost all
    formats apart from the Sony mem stick.

    max, Sep 6, 2003
  8. Mainlander Guest

    In article <>,
    says...
    > I have a digital camera that can accept either a Multi Media memory
    > expansion card or a SD memory card.
    >
    > Which is the best card to use and why please.

    SD = secure digital, that is the newer standard that the industry has
    brought in.

    Mainlander, Sep 8, 2003
  9. Mainlander Guest

    In article <>,
    says...
    > On Fri, 05 Sep 2003 01:16:33 GMT, wrote:
    >
    > >I have a digital camera that can accept either a Multi Media memory
    > >expansion card or a SD memory card.
    > >
    > >Which is the best card to use and why please.
    > >
    > >TIA

    > Compact Flash would be my recommendation, and is used for many
    > different portable products, as well as in Professional digi cams.
    > Reliable and much cheaper than Sony memory stick, which you're paying
    > sony tax on.

    He didn't say his camera had a memory stick or compact flash slot in it,
    duh!!!!

    Also there are several third party manufacturers of memory stick, which
    is very cost competitive with other types of media.

    Mainlander, Sep 8, 2003
  10. Mainlander Guest

    In article <>,
    says...
    > On Sat, 6 Sep 2003 13:54:21 +1200, "Nicholas Sherlock"
    > <> wrote:
    >
    > >max wrote:

    > >> Both formats are on the way out and aren't really worth considering.
    > >> SD will last longer than MM(according to my camera shop).

    > >"I have a digital camera that will accept EITHER a MMC or a SD card". He's
    > >not asking what is the best kind of memory out there. He can have EITHER MMC
    > >or SD. He can't use anything except for MMC or SD. Got it?
    > >
    > >Cheers,
    > >Nicholas Sherlock
    > >

    > OK I haven't come across that type of digital camera before, must be a
    > low spec or older model one. The ones I have seem accept almost all
    > formats apart from the Sony mem stick.

    Rubbish, there are hardly any cameras (if any at all) that come with
    slots for all the formats (about 6 or 7). They all fit one or two
    compatible types.

    SD is very common and is supported by a wide range of manufacturers with
    among the big names Panasonic and JVC. SD is a collaboration between
    Matsushita, Toshiba and Sandisk.

    Your claims about it being an old format on the way out are also
    nonsense, it is a newer format similar to Magic Gate Memory Stick /
    Memory Stick Pro being designed to offer content copyright management.

    Mainlander, Sep 8, 2003