    memory cards in a camera.
    Thanks.
    Jim.
    Jim, Jun 3, 2005

  2. Jim

    Sheldon Guest

    "Jim" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > Wonder if you can tell me what the difference is between the MMC and the
    > SD memory cards in a camera.
    > Thanks.
    > Jim.

    "A number of consumer portable device companies manufacture their products
    with slot(s) supporting both MMC and SD formats. Beside price, the biggest
    advantage of the MultiMediaCard standard -it was developed for all the
    leading open systems platforms. This technology is an open standard
    available to any company who wants to improve upon it or develop products
    for it. This includes Linux and all other Unix variants. Linux companies
    will easily be able to develop products for MMC cards. The SD standard was
    developed essentially for the Microsoft Windows platform. Sometimes, to get
    at the real difference between two competing standards, one must also view
    the forces driving their adoption."

    From http://www.memoryx.net/multimediacard.html
    Sheldon, Jun 3, 2005

  3. David J Taylor, Jun 4, 2005
  4. Jim

    Ron Hunter Guest

    Sheldon wrote:
    > "Jim" <> wrote in message
    >
    >>Wonder if you can tell me what the difference is between the MMC and the
    >>SD memory cards in a camera.
    >>Thanks.
    >>Jim.

    > "A number of consumer portable device companies manufacture their products
    > with slot(s) supporting both MMC and SD formats. Beside price, the biggest
    > advantage of the MultiMediaCard standard -it was developed for all the
    > leading open systems platforms. This technology is an open standard
    > available to any company who wants to improve upon it or develop products
    > for it. This includes Linux and all other Unix variants. Linux companies
    > will easily be able to develop products for MMC cards. The SD standard was
    > developed essentially for the Microsoft Windows platform. Sometimes, to get
    > at the real difference between two competing standards, one must also view
    > the forces driving their adoption."
    >
    > From http://www.memoryx.net/multimediacard.html

    Perhaps that is why SD cards outnumber MMC cards by about 90:1. Grin.
    Worse, they cost more, and are less, physically, robust, being somewhat
    thinner. Their advantage is lack of DRM features.

    --
    Ron Hunter
    Ron Hunter, Jun 4, 2005
  5. Jim

    Jim Guest

    "David J Taylor" <-this-bit.nor-this-part.uk>
    wrote in message news:pIcoe.45038$...
    > Jim wrote:
    >> Wonder if you can tell me what the difference is between the MMC and
    >> the SD memory cards in a camera.
    >> Thanks.
    >> Jim.

    > SD is the more modern version of the MMC - cheaper, faster, and with
    > larger memory capacities:
    >
    > http://www.sdcard.org/sd_memorycard/index.html
    >
    > SD has a different number of contacts as well.
    >
    > http://www.vivitar.com/Products/DigCams/techpops/SD-MMCcards.html
    >
    > Today, I would only recommend SD.
    >
    > David

    Thanks to all who replied. I hadn't expected getting this much technical
    info.
    I had been trying to find out if there were any benefits to be had by using,
    say a 256Mb SD card as against a 256Mb MMC card in my camera as they both
    hold the same number of pictures and don't appear to have any different
    quallity. Doe's faster speed come into it when using them in a camera.
    The camera is a Konica Z10.
    Jim

    Jim, Jun 4, 2005