  1. Could someone please tell me the difference between smart media memory
    cards and sd memory cards. Is there a difference in size, compatability,
    etc? Thanks

    Pamela Bailey via PhotoKB.com, Apr 23, 2005

  2. Pamela Bailey via PhotoKB.com

    JohnR66 Guest

    Smart media is about as thick as a credit card and has a relatively large
    outline of about 1-3/4 X 1-1/2 inches. SD cards have a much smaller outline,
    but are thicker. Smart Media format went obsolete 2 years ago. manufactures
    have not used it in new camera designs.
    John

    JohnR66, Apr 23, 2005

  3. Pamela Bailey via PhotoKB.com

    Craig Flory Guest

    I just joined this group. The best is the Flash Card. The pro model digital
    cameras use it & I like it because it's bigger in size. I would not want a
    camera with a really small card. The bigger size is less likely to be lost.
    Camera manufacturers seem to keep wanting to go smaller & lighter. I want a
    nice big & fairly heavy camera for stability too. The lighter, smaller ones
    are to easy to jerk around and get out of focus images.

    Craig Flory

    Craig Flory, Apr 23, 2005
  4. Pamela Bailey via PhotoKB.com

    George Kerby Guest

    On 4/23/05 8:49 AM, in article
    Jnsae.10524$, "Craig Flory"
    <> wrote:

    > I just joined this group. The best is the Flash Card. The pro model digital
    > cameras use it & I like it because it's bigger in size. I would not want a
    > camera with a really small card. The bigger size is less likely to be lost.
    > Camera manufacturers seem to keep wanting to go smaller & lighter. I want a
    > nice big & fairly heavy camera for stability too. The lighter, smaller ones
    > are to easy to jerk around and get out of focus images.
    >
    > Craig Flory

    Then you'd love toting around an EOS-1 Ds Mark II with a 200mm 1.8 L?
    I know I would.

    George Kerby, Apr 23, 2005
  5. Pamela Bailey via PhotoKB.com

    Ron Hunter Guest

    Pamela Bailey via PhotoKB.com wrote:
    > Could someone please tell me the difference between smart media memory
    > cards and sd memory cards. Is there a difference in size, compatability,
    > etc? Thanks

    VAST. The SM cards are an old, and MUCH less sophisticated media. They
    are about 3 times as large, store much less (I believe they maxed out at
    128 Meg), and are a lot more subject to damage. The SD cards come in
    larger capacity, faster transfer rates, and are much smaller, thicker,
    and the contacts are somewhat protected by plastic ridges. They are in
    no sense compatible.

    --
    Ron Hunter

    Ron Hunter, Apr 23, 2005
  6. Pamela Bailey via PhotoKB.com

    Ron Hunter Guest

    Craig Flory wrote:
    > I just joined this group. The best is the Flash Card. The pro model digital
    > cameras use it & I like it because it's bigger in size. I would not want a
    > camera with a really small card. The bigger size is less likely to be lost.
    > Camera manufacturers seem to keep wanting to go smaller & lighter. I want a
    > nice big & fairly heavy camera for stability too. The lighter, smaller ones
    > are to easy to jerk around and get out of focus images.
    >
    > Craig Flory

    I think you meant to say 'CompactFlash card'. They are bigger than the
    SD card, and about the same area, but more 'squareish' than the SM
    cards, and much thicker, and more robust than the SM card. I also find
    them easier to handle. As for a heavy camera, you are welcome to it. I
    am smart enough to hold my small, light, camera still.

    --
    Ron Hunter

    Ron Hunter, Apr 23, 2005
  7. Pamela Bailey via PhotoKB.com

    Gizmo Guest

    "Ron Hunter" <> wrote in message
    > and are a lot more subject to damage.

    I can vouch for that ;o)

    Tip of the day: Don't sit on a Smartmedia card :eek:/

    Gizmo, Apr 23, 2005
  8. Pamela Bailey via PhotoKB.com

    Ron Hunter Guest

    Gizmo wrote:
    > "Ron Hunter" <> wrote in message
    >
    >> and are a lot more subject to damage.

    > I can vouch for that ;o)
    >
    > Tip of the day: Don't sit on a Smartmedia card :eek:/

    When they were popular, there were a lot of sad stories about people
    putting them in their wallet, and pulling them out in pieces...

    --
    Ron Hunter

    Ron Hunter, Apr 23, 2005
  9. Pamela Bailey via PhotoKB.com

    Gizmo Guest

    "Ron Hunter" <> wrote in message
    > Gizmo wrote:
    >> "Ron Hunter" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >>> and are a lot more subject to damage.

    >> I can vouch for that ;o)
    >>
    >> Tip of the day: Don't sit on a Smartmedia card :eek:/

    > When they were popular, there were a lot of sad stories about people
    > putting them in their wallet, and pulling them out in pieces...

    Not only do they look like wafer thin crackers, but they sound like one when
    snapped ;o)

    Gizmo, Apr 23, 2005
  10. Pamela Bailey via PhotoKB.com

    Ron Hunter Guest

    Gizmo wrote:
    > "Ron Hunter" <> wrote in message
    >
    >>Gizmo wrote:
    >>
    >>>"Ron Hunter" <> wrote in message

    >>>I can vouch for that ;o)
    >>>
    >>>Tip of the day: Don't sit on a Smartmedia card :eek:/

    >>When they were popular, there were a lot of sad stories about people
    >>putting them in their wallet, and pulling them out in pieces...

    > Not only do they look like wafer thin crackers, but they sound like one when
    > snapped ;o)

    If only they were edible, at least those with 4 meg versions could sell
    them for something. Grin.

    --
    Ron Hunter

    Ron Hunter, Apr 23, 2005
  11. Pamela Bailey via PhotoKB.com

    Pete D Guest

    They are also very prone to failure.

    Pete D, Apr 24, 2005
  12. Pamela Bailey via PhotoKB.com

    Pete D Guest

    I used about 20 x 32meg cards with a couple of S2Pro's on a job last year
    and had about 5-6 of them fail, not good.

    Pete D, Apr 24, 2005
  13. Pamela Bailey via PhotoKB.com

    Stewy Guest

    In article <D5uae.14645$>,
    Ron Hunter <> wrote:

    > Craig Flory wrote:
    > > I just joined this group. The best is the Flash Card. The pro model digital
    > > cameras use it & I like it because it's bigger in size. I would not want a
    > > camera with a really small card. The bigger size is less likely to be lost.
    > > Camera manufacturers seem to keep wanting to go smaller & lighter. I want a
    > > nice big & fairly heavy camera for stability too. The lighter, smaller ones
    > > are to easy to jerk around and get out of focus images.
    > >
    > > Craig Flory
    > >

    > I think you meant to say 'CompactFlash card'. They are bigger than the
    > SD card, and about the same area, but more 'squareish' than the SM
    > cards, and much thicker, and more robust than the SM card. I also find
    > them easier to handle. As for a heavy camera, you are welcome to it. I
    > am smart enough to hold my small, light, camera still.

    Yeah CF cards are a good size small enough to use but big enough to get
    a hold on. My fingers are not precision instuments - 10 thumbs would be
    an apt description and xD cards are way too small - I'm so afraid of
    losing it I bought a 512mb for my Fuji so I wouldn't have to change it.
    BTW the latest CF cards run to 10gb - try doing that with memory sticks,
    Sony!

    IMHO I think the future is in xD, SD and Compact Flash - all the others
    will become the millenium 'betamax'

    Stewy, Apr 24, 2005
  14. Pamela Bailey via PhotoKB.com

    Nostrobino Guest

    > Could someone please tell me the difference between smart media memory
    > cards and sd memory cards. Is there a difference in size, compatability,
    > etc? Thanks

    SmartMedia is limited to 128 MB and will never go higher than that, since
    it's an obsolete technology and no camera maker uses it anymore. The cards
    are about matchbook size and very thin.

    SD (Secure Digital) is by far the most common type of memory card used today
    in compact and ultracompact digital cameras. It's made by all the flash
    memory card manufacturers and because there's so much competition in this
    type, SD cards are often (in fact almost always) available at bargain prices
    and/or with rebates. Maximum capacity is practically whatever you're willing
    to pay for, up to at least 1 GB so far and will almost certainly go higher.
    The cards are roughly postage-stamp size and reasonably thin.

    I don't think there's any camera that accepts both types of card, so
    compatibility in that sense is nonexistent.

    If choosing between digital cameras in these card types, that's a
    no-brainer. Go for SD, don't even think about a camera using SmartMedia.

    N.

    Nostrobino, Apr 24, 2005
  15. Pamela Bailey via PhotoKB.com

    Nostrobino Guest

    "Stewy" <> wrote in message
    [ . . . ]

    > IMHO I think the future is in xD, SD and Compact Flash - all the others
    > will become the millenium 'betamax'

    I agree with that in connection with SD and CompactFlash. As far as xD goes,
    that seems to me to have been a bad mistake on the part of Fuji and Olympus.
    Both are excellent camera makers, but why the xD card for heaven's sake? It
    offers no real advantage over SD, and I don't think any manufacturer other
    than those two has any interest in using it in *any* sort of device--digital
    camera, PDA, MP3 player or whatever. It's an SD world out there for most
    such devices, with CompactFlash taking over the larger camera field. It
    seems to me that this makes the xD card the "Betamax" of flash memory cards.

    N.

    Nostrobino, Apr 24, 2005
  16. Pamela Bailey via PhotoKB.com

    Nostrobino Guest

    "Nostrobino" <> wrote in message
    [ . . . ]

    > If choosing between digital cameras in these card types, that's a
    > no-brainer. Go for SD, don't even think about a camera using SmartMedia.

    Actually I put that much too strongly. I should have said, "all other things
    being equal." But there have been many excellent cameras made that used
    SmartMedia, and if you find a good one at a good price, assuming the 128MB
    card limit is not a problem for you (and for many people that's more than
    enough capacity), then there's no reason not to consider it.

    N.

    Nostrobino, Apr 24, 2005