    Most of them did fail to get through two additional tests - being
    smashed by a sledgehammer and being nailed to a tree. Even then, data
    experts were able to retrieve photos from the xD and Smartmedia cards.

    Steve, Aug 5, 2004

  2. "Steve" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > (BBC News)---The memory cards in most cameras are virtually
    > indestructible, found Digital Camera Shopper magazine.
    >
    > They were dipped into cola, put through a washing machine, dunked in
    > coffee, trampled by a skateboard, run over by a child's toy car and
    > given to a six-year-old boy to destroy. All the cards survived these
    > six tests.

    By accident, I once ran a 512MB Compactflash card through a single washer
    cycle in a jeans pocket, and it failed complexly. It was a very expensive
    mistake.

    I assume the wash water got inside and shorted it out. I even tried opening
    the compactflash card shell to clean and dry it out, but still no go. A
    complete loss.

    Bruce.

    Bruce Chastain, Aug 5, 2004

  3. Steve

    Ron Hunter Guest

    Bruce Chastain wrote:
    > "Steve" <> wrote in message
    >
    >>(BBC News)---The memory cards in most cameras are virtually
    >>indestructible, found Digital Camera Shopper magazine.
    >>
    >>They were dipped into cola, put through a washing machine, dunked in
    >>coffee, trampled by a skateboard, run over by a child's toy car and
    >>given to a six-year-old boy to destroy. All the cards survived these
    >>six tests.

    > By accident, I once ran a 512MB Compactflash card through a single washer
    > cycle in a jeans pocket, and it failed complexly. It was a very expensive
    > mistake.
    >
    > I assume the wash water got inside and shorted it out. I even tried opening
    > the compactflash card shell to clean and dry it out, but still no go. A
    > complete loss.
    >
    > Bruce.

    What probably happened was that it wasn't completely dry when you tried
    to read it.

    Ron Hunter, Aug 5, 2004
  4. Steve

    Steve Guest

    "Bruce Chastain" <> wrote:
    >By accident, I once ran a 512MB Compactflash card through a single washer
    >cycle in a jeans pocket, and it failed completely. It was a very expensive
    >mistake.

    See, shoulda bought that extended warranty. Or maybe the Levis
    warranty would cover this. :)

    Steve, Aug 5, 2004
  5. "Steve" <> wrote in message

    > (BBC News)---The memory cards in most cameras are virtually
    > indestructible, found Digital Camera Shopper magazine.
    >
    > They were dipped into cola, put through a washing machine, dunked in
    > coffee, trampled by a skateboard, run over by a child's toy car and
    > given to a six-year-old boy to destroy. All the cards survived these
    > six tests.
    >
    > Most of them did fail to get through two additional tests - being
    > smashed by a sledgehammer and being nailed to a tree. Even then, data
    > experts were able to retrieve photos from the xD and Smartmedia cards.

    I must be the most unlucky person in the world as I have had four smart
    media cards fail over a four-year period and they were never abused at all.
    They were not all the same brand.

    Charles Schuler, Aug 5, 2004
  6. Steve

    Steve Guest

    "Charles Schuler" <> wrote:
    >> (BBC News)---The memory cards in most cameras are virtually
    >> indestructible, found Digital Camera Shopper magazine.

    >I must be the most unlucky person in the world as I have had four smart
    >media cards fail over a four-year period and they were never abused at all.
    >They were not all the same brand.

    See, the trick is to abuse them, then they'll last forever! :)

    Steve, Aug 5, 2004
  7. Steve

    Ron Hunter Guest

    Charles Schuler wrote:
    > "Steve" <> wrote in message
    >
    >>(BBC News)---The memory cards in most cameras are virtually
    >>indestructible, found Digital Camera Shopper magazine.
    >>
    >>They were dipped into cola, put through a washing machine, dunked in
    >>coffee, trampled by a skateboard, run over by a child's toy car and
    >>given to a six-year-old boy to destroy. All the cards survived these
    >>six tests.
    >>
    >>Most of them did fail to get through two additional tests - being
    >>smashed by a sledgehammer and being nailed to a tree. Even then, data
    >>experts were able to retrieve photos from the xD and Smartmedia cards.

    > I must be the most unlucky person in the world as I have had four smart
    > media cards fail over a four-year period and they were never abused at all.
    > They were not all the same brand.

    The weak point with SM cards is the rather large contacts on the back.
    Also, they are rather large (as such things go), and quite thin, so they
    may flex than is healthy.

    Ron Hunter, Aug 5, 2004
  8. In article <>, Steve
    <> wrote:

    > They were dipped into cola, put through a washing machine, dunked in
    > coffee, trampled by a skateboard, run over by a child's toy car and
    > given to a six-year-old boy to destroy. All the cards survived these
    > six tests.

    I can speak from experience that CF cards will not survive being played
    with by a 13-year old Amazon parrot. Don't ask...

    Scott Schuckert, Aug 6, 2004
  9. "Ron Hunter" <> wrote in message
    > What probably happened was that it wasn't completely dry when you tried
    > to read it.

    It was as dry as it was possible to make it, which may or may not have been
    good enough. Anyway, my wash "test" cona CompactFlash was a failure.

    Bruce.

    Bruce Chastain, Aug 6, 2004
  10. Steve

    Steve Guest

    Scott Schuckert <> wrote:
    >> They were dipped into cola, put through a washing machine, dunked in
    >> coffee, trampled by a skateboard, run over by a child's toy car and
    >> given to a six-year-old boy to destroy. All the cards survived these
    >> six tests.

    >I can speak from experience that CF cards will not survive being played
    >with by a 13-year old Amazon parrot. Don't ask...

    Have you noticed any improvement in the parrot's memory?

    Steve, Aug 6, 2004
  11. Steve

    Mark Guest

    "Steve" <> wrote in message
    > >I can speak from experience that CF cards will not survive being played
    > >with by a 13-year old Amazon parrot. Don't ask...

    > Have you noticed any improvement in the parrot's memory?

    Or is he just more likely to byte now?

    Mark, Aug 6, 2004
  12. Steve

    Steve Guest

    "Mark" <> wrote:
    >> >I can speak from experience that CF cards will not survive being played
    >> >with by a 13-year old Amazon parrot. Don't ask...

    >> Have you noticed any improvement in the parrot's memory?
    >>

    >Or is he just more likely to byte now?

    Ouch, I can see where this is gonna go downhill fast. :)

    Steve, Aug 6, 2004
  13. Steve

    Ron Hunter Guest

    Bruce Chastain wrote:
    > "Ron Hunter" <> wrote in message
    >
    >>What probably happened was that it wasn't completely dry when you tried
    >>to read it.

    > It was as dry as it was possible to make it, which may or may not have been
    > good enough. Anyway, my wash "test" cona CompactFlash was a failure.
    >
    > Bruce.

    Maybe it was the bleach. Grin.

    Ron Hunter, Aug 6, 2004
  14. Steve

    Ron Hunter Guest

    Steve wrote:

    > Scott Schuckert <> wrote:
    >
    >>>They were dipped into cola, put through a washing machine, dunked in
    >>>coffee, trampled by a skateboard, run over by a child's toy car and
    >>>given to a six-year-old boy to destroy. All the cards survived these
    >>>six tests.

    >>I can speak from experience that CF cards will not survive being played
    >>with by a 13-year old Amazon parrot. Don't ask...

    > Have you noticed any improvement in the parrot's memory?

    Since a parrot is quite capable of biting through a rather large branch,
    I am not surprised that a CF card 'bit the dust' under its tender
    mercies....

    Ron Hunter, Aug 6, 2004
  15. Steve

    Ron G Guest

    I heard about a guy whose parrot swallowed a card with MP3 files backed
    up on it. Damn bird couldn't get past the Star Spangled Banner and they
    had to shoot him.

    Ron G, Aug 7, 2004