    I'm not sure what this means and since I am a newbie to the digital world I
    was wondering if a Canon Powershot A 510 could handle these and if one would
    be better than another. Thanks in advance for any info.

    Carol L, Apr 11, 2005

  2. Carol L

    Bryan Heit Guest

    Carol L wrote:
    > Could someone please explain the difference in Kingston SD 512 MB memory
    > cards. I've found one with speed Approx. 51x and another with speed
    > approx.10x.
    >
    > I'm not sure what this means and since I am a newbie to the digital world I
    > was wondering if a Canon Powershot A 510 could handle these and if one would
    > be better than another. Thanks in advance for any info.

    In your camera these speeds don't amount to much, as most cameras are
    quite slow when it comes to writing to the card. The biggest difference
    is during file transfer to your computer - if you use a card reader,
    rather then the USB cable for your camera, file transfers will be faster
    with the 51x card. This can make a huge difference with the amount of
    time it takes to dump larger cards.

    Bryan

    Bryan Heit, Apr 11, 2005

  3. Carol L

    Jim Guest

    "Carol L" <> wrote in message
    > Could someone please explain the difference in Kingston SD 512 MB memory
    > cards. I've found one with speed Approx. 51x and another with speed
    > approx.10x.
    >
    > I'm not sure what this means and since I am a newbie to the digital world

    > was wondering if a Canon Powershot A 510 could handle these and if one

    would
    > be better than another. Thanks in advance for any info.

    There is no industry standard that deals with the card speed. However, you
    are supposed to multiply 150kbits/sec by the indicated factor.

    Most people find that the limiting factor is really the speed at which the
    camera writes.
    Jim

    Jim, Apr 12, 2005