    cards worth the extra $$? Will I see a difference in performance with my
    camera?

    Thanks

    MedicMan, Jul 25, 2004

  2. MedicMan

    Matt Ion Guest

    from the prejudices of their social environment. Most people are even
    incapable of forming such opinions."
    -- Albert Einstein
    "MedicMan" <> wrote in message
    > I recently bought the Nikon D70. I already had a Lexar 256 (12x) Compact
    > Flash card which works fine. I want to buy a 1gb card. I notice now that
    > some memory cards are offered in a faster speed (ex. Sandisk offers the
    > Ultra II) in addition to their standard compact flash card. Are the

    "faster"
    > cards worth the extra $$? Will I see a difference in performance with my
    > camera?

    Depends on whether the camera is designed to make use of the higher-speed
    cards. I would say it's likely your D70 does, but it's best to check the
    specs. The back of the user's manual should list what types of cards it
    supports with all the other technical data. Whether you'll really see a
    difference will vary - if you do a lot of continuous shooting, then yes, you
    will notice. If you like to flip quickly through your already-taken
    pictures, you'll notice it too. When offloading your pictures to PC, you'll
    most definitely notice it, especially if your machine has USB 2.0 ports
    and/or you're using a card reader that supports the faster card.

    Matt Ion, Jul 25, 2004

  3. MedicMan

    Douglas Guest

    On the D70,you will see the difference.I have a pair of D70s,and use many
    cards.My favorite cards are the SanDisk Ultra IIs.The writes are faster,but
    as always,a lot depends on how you use your camera!Most of my photos are of
    airshows and auto races.The world of speed requires a card with speed! I
    more often use several 512mb cards over one large card.

    Douglas, Jul 25, 2004
  4. MedicMan

    Jimmy G Guest

    My Viking 1g card doesn't seem to noticeably slow my D70!

    Jimmy G, Jul 25, 2004
  5. MedicMan

    larrylook Guest

    Some have said it depends how often you think you'll need to take many
    photos is rapid sequence. I think this feature of the D70 is very helpful,
    to get the right shot. Maybe you rarely take photos in rapid sequence - I
    don't know. I bought the lexar 1gb 40x and am very happy with it in my D70.

    larrylook, Jul 25, 2004
  6. MedicMan

    John Guest

    I also have a query about card speeds. I have a Canon Ixus 5 Megapixel
    camera that came with a 32 Mb (FC-32MH) card. The card has "high speed"
    written on it but no indication of what the speed is and I want to make sure
    that any additional (higher capacity) card that I buy is going to be optimal
    for this camera.
    I have searched the specs in the manual but no mention of card speed. I have
    searched the Canon website and various other sites on the web, trying to
    find some discussion of CF card speed to try and ascertain the speed of the
    FC-32MH or an indication of what speed could be used with this camera. I
    have considered buying a Lexar 4X speed card but need to do my homework
    first.
    If anyone has any comments or answers I would very much appreciate it?

    John

    John, Jul 26, 2004