    What is the difference between the two cards? Speed, size what? Now
    that I have cards, cables and card readers, I'm disappointed I have to
    change the whole media in just a two year period.

    mike, Oct 19, 2004

  2. mike

    Bryce Guest

    So buy a camera that uses compact flash cards.

    Bryce, Oct 19, 2004

  3. mike

    mike Guest

    >> So I have a Pentax camera that uses compact flash cards CF. That's
    >> great because I have a few big cards. Now I am going to be buying a
    >> new Pentax camera and the model I want only uses secure data SD cards.
    >>
    >> What is the difference between the two cards? Speed, size what? Now
    >> that I have cards, cables and card readers, I'm disappointed I have to
    >> change the whole media in just a two year period.

    >So buy a camera that uses compact flash cards.

    My question regards the technology of the memory cards. Since I am
    somewhat computer literate, I know my Pentium 1 66mhz will not cut the
    mustard so I must upgrade and have over the years. It is now time for
    my digital camera.

    What are the reasons why a company would change from CF to SD cards?
    Is it worth switching over?

    mike, Oct 19, 2004
  4. mike

    Bill Jackson Guest

    mike wrote:
    >>>So I have a Pentax camera that uses compact flash cards CF. That's
    >>>great because I have a few big cards. Now I am going to be buying a
    >>>new Pentax camera and the model I want only uses secure data SD cards.
    >>>
    >>>What is the difference between the two cards? Speed, size what? Now
    >>>that I have cards, cables and card readers, I'm disappointed I have to
    >>>change the whole media in just a two year period.

    >>So buy a camera that uses compact flash cards.

    > My question regards the technology of the memory cards. Since I am
    > somewhat computer literate, I know my Pentium 1 66mhz will not cut the
    > mustard so I must upgrade and have over the years. It is now time for
    > my digital camera.
    >
    > What are the reasons why a company would change from CF to SD cards?
    > Is it worth switching over?

    the reasons, size and cost.

    CF components cost more and drive the size required for the storage slot
    to be larger. Given that size of the camera is a consideration for most
    people when purchasing, allocating more of the size to the card slot
    leaves less ofthe size for the "rest of the stuff"

    I too used to be concerned about taking my "high priced" memory forward
    with me. Now that I can get a 256M CF or SD card for under $25(WAY
    UNDER) , it really doesn't matter anymore does it....

    As for the differences, there are write speed differences, SD can be
    faster but is not always depending on the controller design. the new
    higher speed CF stuff is getting up there as well, as long as the camera
    has been designed to deal with it.

    In the end my advice is to pick the camera you want, the memory will
    come as an afterthought.

    Bill Jackson, Oct 19, 2004
  5. mike

    Bryce Guest

    "Bill Jackson" <> wrote in message

    > >>So buy a camera that uses compact flash cards.

    > > My question regards the technology of the memory cards. Since I am
    > > somewhat computer literate, I know my Pentium 1 66mhz will not cut the
    > > mustard so I must upgrade and have over the years. It is now time for
    > > my digital camera.
    > >
    > > What are the reasons why a company would change from CF to SD cards?
    > > Is it worth switching over?
    > >

    > the reasons, size and cost.
    >
    > CF components cost more and drive the size required for the storage slot
    > to be larger. Given that size of the camera is a consideration for most
    > people when purchasing, allocating more of the size to the card slot
    > leaves less ofthe size for the "rest of the stuff"
    >

    > I too used to be concerned about taking my "high priced" memory forward
    > with me. Now that I can get a 256M CF or SD card for under $25(WAY
    > UNDER) , it really doesn't matter anymore does it....
    >

    > As for the differences, there are write speed differences, SD can be
    > faster but is not always depending on the controller design. the new
    > higher speed CF stuff is getting up there as well, as long as the camera
    > has been designed to deal with it.
    >
    > In the end my advice is to pick the camera you want, the memory will
    > come as an afterthought.

    I'd have to agree. I mean, you wouldn't buy a car based on it's tires or gas
    tank would you?

    Choose the camera first.

    As things always get cheaper, it's easy to second guess yourself on paying
    high prices for media "way back when".

    Bryce, Oct 19, 2004
  6. I am with you 100%. I simply cannot fathom--despite the savings in size
    etc--why the mad rush to SD cards by so many manufacturers.

    To those who say that it's necessary to make the camera small, I
    say--bologney. Look for instance at the Canon Powershot S410, which is
    designated as "ultra-compact," has 4 megapixels, is current as of February
    of this year--and yet, it uses Compact Flash.
    (http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/specs/Canon/canon_s410.asp) Then there's
    the Nikon Coolpix 4300 which is pretty good & small, it too uses Compact
    Flash.

    Where it concerns EXTREMELY small cameras like the Pentax Optio S-series
    cameras, I can see it. But considering what Canon did with its S410 as small
    as it is and it's Compact Flash based, I'm with the OP--I just don't see a
    reason why the mad rush to SD cards. It's ridiculous.

    It surely isn't inheriently quicker-writing medium. Else, why would
    high-speed cameras like the Nikon D70--to say nothing of the Nikon D2H and
    the Canon EOS-1D Mark II D-SLRs--use them. Compact Flash (at least the WA
    cards) must be pretty fast if such cameras like that use them.

    It's upsetting to me. So much so, if I were buying a new point & shoot type
    of digital, I'd consider Canon over Nikon (and I've ALWAYS purchased Nikon,
    though I have toyed with the Digital Rebel and D60 as of late) simply for
    that one reason alone.

    LRH

    Larry R Harrison Jr, Oct 20, 2004
  7. mike

    Derf Guest

    Well good responce to the original question. The #1 rule in life,
    REALLY, the #1 rule when you do not know why things are going the way
    they are is.........................

    FOLLOW THE TRAIL OF MONEY

    So if you buy a new camera that does not use your many CF cards, I
    guess you have to buy new ones now don't you? Applying rule #1 makes
    perfect sence of why companies do things such as this.

    Derf, Oct 20, 2004
  8. mike

    hfs2 Guest

    Is the CF card the one with the 20-40(?) pin socket?
    A camera with a CF connector seems designed to fail although
    I can't say I've ever heard one doing so.

    Unlike the sealed mmc, the sd card guts are open to the environment via
    it's little write protect "lever". The unit we smashed at work
    had unsealed circuity. Given the impedance of the devices simple
    water would take it out. But it should be more rugged than 40(?) pin devices.
    I hated to drop a CF in a bucket of mud. And why would I? :)
    I'd be more worried about a Coke.

    CF cards are bigger. The mmc/sd is small enough to be a pain to deal
    with if you are extremly old like me.

    hfs2, Oct 21, 2004
  9. mike writes:

    > So I have a Pentax camera that uses compact flash cards CF. That's
    > great because I have a few big cards. Now I am going to be buying a
    > new Pentax camera and the model I want only uses secure data SD cards.
    >
    > What is the difference between the two cards? Speed, size what? Now
    > that I have cards, cables and card readers, I'm disappointed I have to
    > change the whole media in just a two year period.

    The SD cards are quite a bit smaller, to the point where it might
    really make a difference for ultra-compace consumer digital cameras.
    CF is still going strong, in all the pro-level cameras and some of the
    others. You could consider shopping for a camera that will still take
    your CF cards....

    David Dyer-Bennet, Oct 24, 2004