    its' unlocked, I tried to reset the camera, that didnt work, is my
    card destroyed or have I missed some simple task?

    Thanks in advance!

    Club_obi_wan, Apr 6, 2008

  2. Club_obi_wan

    Ray Fischer Guest

    Club_obi_wan <> wrote:
    >I've a nikon coolpix camera with a lexar 128mb digital film card. I
    >just cut and pasted 100 or so pictures of my camera and onto my hard
    >drive - unplugged the camera and took 2 pictures and now i get an out
    >of memory icon on the view screen of the camera? I checked the card,
    >its' unlocked, I tried to reset the camera, that didnt work, is my
    >card destroyed or have I missed some simple task?

    I suspect that you did a COPY and paste, which wouldn't remove the
    photos from the card? Regardless, formatting the card should clean it
    up and is a good pratice as well.

    --
    Ray Fischer

    Ray Fischer, Apr 6, 2008

  3. ? "Club_obi_wan" <> ?????? ??? ??????
    > I've a nikon coolpix camera with a lexar 128mb digital film card. I
    > just cut and pasted 100 or so pictures of my camera and onto my hard
    > drive - unplugged the camera and took 2 pictures and now i get an out
    > of memory icon on the view screen of the camera? I checked the card,
    > its' unlocked, I tried to reset the camera, that didnt work, is my
    > card destroyed or have I missed some simple task?

    Maybe your card has reached the end of its capacity? You copied the photos
    from the camera to your hard drive, but you didn't delete the originals in
    the camera card, so maybe (128 MB) 102 photos is all that can fit in it?

    HTH,

    --
    Tzortzakakis Dimitrios
    major in electrical engineering

    Tzortzakakis Dimitrios, Apr 6, 2008
  4. Club_obi_wan <> wrote:
    >I've a nikon coolpix camera with a lexar 128mb digital film card.

    "Digital film" is missleading at best. It's probably a SD (SecureData)
    or a CF (CompactFlash) card. The generic term would be flash memory.

    BTW: 128MB is tiny by today's standards. 2-4GB is the lowest most people
    would even consider today.

    >just cut and pasted 100 or so pictures of my camera and onto my hard
    >drive -

    Are you sure you "cut" or did you just "copy"?

    >unplugged the camera

    Many people prefer using a simple flash card reader permanently hooked
    up to the computer instead of fiddling around with the cable and running
    the batteries low every time they transfer photos to the computer.

    >and took 2 pictures and now i get an out
    >of memory icon on the view screen of the camera? I checked the card,
    >its' unlocked, I tried to reset the camera, that didnt work, is my
    >card destroyed or have I missed some simple task?

    Relax! It is really hard to destroy a flash card. And resetting the
    camera doesn't do anything to the data that is stored on the flash card.
    Just delete whatever files are left on the flash card (easiest to plug
    the card into a card reader and then do it in whatever file management
    tool your operating system provides).
    If that doesn't work then reformat the card.

    Only if that doesn't work you may have problem with the actual card.

    jue

    Jürgen Exner, Apr 6, 2008
  5. Club_obi_wan

    er Guest

    >> I've a nikon coolpix camera with a lexar 128mb digital film card. I
    >> just cut and pasted 100 or so pictures of my camera and onto my hard
    >> drive - unplugged the camera and took 2 pictures and now i get an out
    >> of memory icon on the view screen of the camera? I checked the card,
    >> its' unlocked, I tried to reset the camera, that didnt work, is my
    >> card destroyed or have I missed some simple task?

    I'm late to the party, but wonder if you have deleted the pictures while the
    card was in the computer or a reader.

    Perhaps there is a recycle bin created on the card, containing the deleted
    pictures. If so, I'm pretty sure that they are taking up the same amount of
    space on the card until the recycle bin is emptied.

    Best to reformat the card IN THE CAMERA. I do it automatically each time I
    transfer pictures from the card to the computer, just to be sure I'm
    starting again with a fresh empty card.

    DS

    er, Apr 7, 2008
  6. Club_obi_wan

    Bigguy Guest

    Club_obi_wan wrote:
    > I've a nikon coolpix camera with a lexar 128mb digital film card. I
    > just cut and pasted 100 or so pictures of my camera and onto my hard
    > drive - unplugged the camera and took 2 pictures and now i get an out
    > of memory icon on the view screen of the camera? I checked the card,
    > its' unlocked, I tried to reset the camera, that didnt work, is my
    > card destroyed or have I missed some simple task?
    >
    > Thanks in advance!

    1. Reformat the card IN THE CAMERA...

    2. Go online and buy a bigger card - they are so cheap.

    3. Enjoy

    Guy

    Bigguy, Apr 7, 2008
  7. Club_obi_wan

    Roy G Guest

    "Club_obi_wan" <> wrote in message
    > I've a nikon coolpix camera with a lexar 128mb digital film card. I
    > just cut and pasted 100 or so pictures of my camera and onto my hard
    > drive - unplugged the camera and took 2 pictures and now i get an out
    > of memory icon on the view screen of the camera? I checked the card,
    > its' unlocked, I tried to reset the camera, that didnt work, is my
    > card destroyed or have I missed some simple task?
    >
    > Thanks in advance!

    Hi Folks.

    Do remember this is a 128Mb Card, and at its current price it is hardly
    worth the effort to fix.

    I have just binned 2 of them, because they are far too small to be of much
    use to any-one.

    Roy G

    Roy G, Apr 7, 2008
  8. Club_obi_wan

    Esteban Guest

    "Roy G" <> wrote in message

    > "Club_obi_wan" <> wrote in message
    >> I've a nikon coolpix camera with a lexar 128mb digital film card. I
    >> just cut and pasted 100 or so pictures of my camera and onto my hard
    >> drive - unplugged the camera and took 2 pictures and now i get an out
    >> of memory icon on the view screen of the camera? I checked the card,
    >> its' unlocked, I tried to reset the camera, that didnt work, is my
    >> card destroyed or have I missed some simple task?
    >>
    >> Thanks in advance!

    > Hi Folks.
    >
    > Do remember this is a 128Mb Card, and at its current price it is hardly
    > worth the effort to fix.
    >
    > I have just binned 2 of them, because they are far too small to be of much
    > use to any-one.
    >
    > Roy G

    Hi folks,
    I am new to this group so go easy on me. <G> When you talk of reformatting
    the SD memory, does that mean erasing all the photos on it?
    Thanks,
    Steve

    Esteban, Apr 7, 2008
  9. "Esteban" <> wrote:
    >When you talk of reformatting
    >the SD memory, does that mean erasing all the photos on it?

    Well, no. Just erasing the photos isn't sufficient.

    "Formatting" is the technical term for (re-)create the whole file system
    from scratch on new and used device like a hard disk or floppy or flash
    memory card or CDR or USB memory stick. It creates the infrastructure
    like e.g. directories(*) on the media that allows the operating system
    to store files on it.
    *: technically that is not totally accurate because depending on the
    file system directories are typically just files, too.

    While there are different levels of format for experts the one we are
    talking about here will basically recreate all the meta data on the
    media, such that afterwards the pre-existing old files cannot be
    referenced or found any longer and the space previously occupied by them
    is cleared for new use. However experts with the proper tools can still
    recover the old data.

    jue

    Jürgen Exner, Apr 7, 2008
  10. Club_obi_wan

    Esteban Guest

    "Jürgen Exner" <> wrote in message
    > "Esteban" <> wrote:
    >>When you talk of reformatting
    >>the SD memory, does that mean erasing all the photos on it?

    > Well, no. Just erasing the photos isn't sufficient.
    >
    > "Formatting" is the technical term for (re-)create the whole file system
    > from scratch on new and used device like a hard disk or floppy or flash
    > memory card or CDR or USB memory stick. It creates the infrastructure
    > like e.g. directories(*) on the media that allows the operating system
    > to store files on it.
    > *: technically that is not totally accurate because depending on the
    > file system directories are typically just files, too.
    >
    > While there are different levels of format for experts the one we are
    > talking about here will basically recreate all the meta data on the
    > media, such that afterwards the pre-existing old files cannot be
    > referenced or found any longer and the space previously occupied by them
    > is cleared for new use. However experts with the proper tools can still
    > recover the old data.
    >
    > jue

    Thanks for the quick response jue.
    Steve

    Esteban, Apr 7, 2008
  11. Esteban wrote:
    []
    > Hi folks,
    > I am new to this group so go easy on me. <G> When you talk of
    > reformatting the SD memory, does that mean erasing all the photos on
    > it? Thanks,
    > Steve

    Put simply, as you ask, it means using the camera's Card, Format command.
    This will have the side effect of erasing the photos on the card.

    Cheers,
    David

    David J Taylor, Apr 7, 2008
  12. Club_obi_wan

    aea985

    Joined:
    Apr 2, 2009
    Messages:
    1
    What is the camera model and was the card previously working??

    aea985, Mar 24, 2014