    the images to my PC, then burn all of the images to the CD with no
    unused space left over on the CD.

    Alan
    Alan, Nov 20, 2004

  2. Alan

    Ken Weitzel Guest

    Alan wrote:
    > Has anyone heard of memory cards for digital cameras that come in the
    > same capacities as CDs?
    >
    > Rather than jump from 512 megabytes to 1 gig, I would prefer a memory
    > card with a capacity of 700 megabytes.
    >
    > That way, I could fill up the memory card on my camera, copy all of
    > the images to my PC, then burn all of the images to the CD with no
    > unused space left over on the CD.
    >
    > Alan

    Hi Alan...

    Sounds great in theory; but I respectfully think it
    might not work out quite as good as we think it might.
    Unless, that is, you're thinking of just burning them
    to carry them home, without really looking at them.

    Otherwise, it leaves no room at all for those pics
    (my specialty) of people with their eyes closed;
    those slightly out of focus; and so on. It also
    ignores bracketed shots, where after all is said and
    done you'll get one picture for each three or more
    taken. And that 'special' shot, where you take a
    half dozen just to be absolutely certain of a
    'perfect' one :)

    Just thinking out loud.

    Ken
    Ken Weitzel, Nov 20, 2004

  3. You could always take a 1GB card and copy 300MB of data on it to take
    up space. Just don't format the card in the camera after doing so...

    --------------------------------
    Leith Cassone, Nov 21, 2004
  4. Memory card capacity and CD capacity are totally irrelevant. Burn pictures
    to CD until it is full. It is also foolish to wait until your camera card is
    full, unless you are on a vacation without access to your computer. You
    should take pictures, load them to you computer and burn them to CD as
    backup. If you run out of room on you computer then duplicate all your CD
    and delete the oldest pictures from your HD.

    It is always better to have several smaller cards than one big one. If you
    loose or crash the big one then it is a big disaster. Lost small card is
    small disaster (usually).

    Jan

    Jan Nademlejnsky, Nov 21, 2004
  5. Alan

    Matt Ion Guest

    Alan wrote:

    > Has anyone heard of memory cards for digital cameras that come in the
    > same capacities as CDs?
    >
    > Rather than jump from 512 megabytes to 1 gig, I would prefer a memory
    > card with a capacity of 700 megabytes.
    >
    > That way, I could fill up the memory card on my camera, copy all of
    > the images to my PC, then burn all of the images to the CD with no
    > unused space left over on the CD.

    Why not just dump 512MB onto a CD and be done with it? So there's a bit
    of unused capacity, so what? That's only about 30% "wasted" space,
    assuming a full card (even if the max capacities did match, any
    less-than-full cards would be "wasting" CD space). Blank CD-Rs can be
    had for as little as 30 cents in bulk, certainly less than a dollar each
    for even high-quality media.

    Or go all-out and get a 4GB card and DVD burner (4.7GB)... a DVD burner
    should pay for itself (extra cost of the drive and additional media)
    over CD-R/W within a few dozen discs burned.
    Matt Ion, Nov 21, 2004
  6. Alan

    zeitgeist Guest

    cd's are cheap enough not to worry about a 100mb or so left unused.
    I think i once saw a 640mb card.

    zeitgeist, Nov 22, 2004
  7. Alan

    zeitgeist Guest

    It is also foolish to wait until your camera card is
    > full, unless you are on a vacation without access to your computer.

    that of course depends on how big your files are and how many pictures you
    take... I get about 30 frames on a 512 card
    zeitgeist, Nov 22, 2004