memory and flash for 4000 series...what's the max?

Discussion in 'Cisco' started by lars, Oct 21, 2003.

  1. lars

    lars Guest

    Hi,

    I've just upgraded a 4700M to 64 MB and no prob. Now I'd like to do 2
    things:

    a) upgrade a 4500M to 64 MB
    b) upgrade the flash on several of each.

    Now Cisco's manuals say that 16 MB is the maximum flash on 4500s and
    4700s and that
    32 MB is the Mx RAM for 4500s.

    Well, what happens if I put more in? Will it work? Will it use all the
    memory?

    I've seen some people selling Flash on eBay for the 4000s saying it was
    part number MEM-4500M-16F
    and that it was one SIMM. Well, the Cisco docs I have say that you need
    2 X 8 MB SIMMS and that
    this part number IS 2 SIMMS of 8 MB not 1 X 16. Well, if I can use 1 16
    MB, what about 2?
    What is it about the 4500 that is different in the 4700 that "doesn't
    allow" more memory? A jumper
    or firmware (ROMs)?

    Can someone clear this up?

    Thanks,

    Lars
    P.S. I suppose it could work but not be "supported" when it was new
    because the IOS wouldn't exceed
    32 MB in a 4500 but could have in a 4700? As these are all EOL
    everything is unsupported, so...
    lars, Oct 21, 2003