Memory and backup

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Sylvia M, Aug 9, 2006.

  1. Sylvia M

    Sylvia M Guest

    Windows XP , Media Center 2005, with
    250 GB HD The tower label also says 1 GB Memory.
    DVD+- RW / CD Writer slot and DVD ROM.slot
    also external Zip drive.
    most wiped clean. I trashed all floppies ;-)

    1. Is 1 GB memory really all I really have?
    In My Documents folder alone, it reads that the
    'size' is 1.02 GBs and the 'Size' on Disc is 1.03 GBs.
    I mainly store documents and some photos.

    2. This makes me think that I need to get some stuff out!

    I've been backing up documents on some zips (100MBs)
    and I own about 40 100MB zip disks.
    Should I just use those?
    I also own:
    4x DVD-RWdiscs
    DVD+R 4.7 4X discs
    CD-R 4.7GB 4X discs

    OR should I buy an external drive or
    a Memory Stick (I have a slot for it)?

    So much stuff and so little clues as to which is appropriate for what.

    Pleeeese advise!

    Also, is there a tutorial available?

    Sylvia M.

    Sylvia M, Aug 9, 2006

  2. Sylvia M

    Toolman Tim Guest

    Sylvia M wrote:
    > Windows XP , Media Center 2005, with
    > 250 GB HD The tower label also says 1 GB Memory.
    > DVD+- RW / CD Writer slot and DVD ROM.slot
    > also external Zip drive.
    > most wiped clean. I trashed all floppies ;-)
    >
    > 1. Is 1 GB memory really all I really have?
    > In My Documents folder alone, it reads that the
    > 'size' is 1.02 GBs and the 'Size' on Disc is 1.03 GBs.
    > I mainly store documents and some photos.

    You're looking in the WRONG place. Open "My Computer", right-click on the C:
    drive (it probably says "Local disk (C:)", select "Properties". It will show
    you a nice pie-chart showing how much of your hard drive is used and how
    much is available.

    Toolman Tim, Aug 9, 2006

  3. Sylvia M

    John Holmes Guest

    Sylvia M "contributed" in 24hoursupport.helpdesk:

    > Windows XP , Media Center 2005, with
    > 250 GB HD The tower label also says 1 GB Memory.
    > DVD+- RW / CD Writer slot and DVD ROM.slot
    > also external Zip drive.
    > most wiped clean. I trashed all floppies ;-)
    >
    > 1. Is 1 GB memory really all I really have?
    > In My Documents folder alone, it reads that the
    > 'size' is 1.02 GBs and the 'Size' on Disc is 1.03 GBs.
    > I mainly store documents and some photos.
    >
    > 2. This makes me think that I need to get some stuff out!
    >
    > I've been backing up documents on some zips (100MBs)
    > and I own about 40 100MB zip disks.
    > Should I just use those?
    > I also own:
    > 4x DVD-RWdiscs
    > DVD+R 4.7 4X discs
    > CD-R 4.7GB 4X discs
    >
    > OR should I buy an external drive or
    > a Memory Stick (I have a slot for it)?
    >
    > So much stuff and so little clues as to which is appropriate for what.
    >
    > Pleeeese advise!
    >
    > Also, is there a tutorial available?
    >
    > Sylvia M.

    Damn. Is that you?
    http://www.panam.edu/dept/rehabser/Enhance/images/Sylvia.jpg

    --
    Your mother was a dwarven clod who got stoned every day amongst cavemen
    in a time loop.

    John Holmes, Aug 10, 2006
  4. Toolman Tim wrote:

    > Sylvia M wrote:
    >> Windows XP , Media Center 2005, with
    >> 250 GB HD The tower label also says 1 GB Memory.
    >> DVD+- RW / CD Writer slot and DVD ROM.slot
    >> also external Zip drive.
    >> most wiped clean. I trashed all floppies ;-)
    >>
    >> 1. Is 1 GB memory really all I really have?
    >> In My Documents folder alone, it reads that the
    >> 'size' is 1.02 GBs and the 'Size' on Disc is 1.03 GBs.
    >> I mainly store documents and some photos.

    > You're looking in the WRONG place. Open "My Computer", right-click on the C:
    > drive (it probably says "Local disk (C:)", select "Properties". It will show
    > you a nice pie-chart showing how much of your hard drive is used and how
    > much is available.

    She is also confusing "memory" [RAM] with "hard disk space".

    --
    -bts
    -Warning: I brake for lawn deer

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Aug 10, 2006
  5. Sylvia M

    Toolman Tim Guest

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty wrote:
    > Toolman Tim wrote:
    >
    >> Sylvia M wrote:
    >>> Windows XP , Media Center 2005, with
    >>> 250 GB HD The tower label also says 1 GB Memory.
    >>> DVD+- RW / CD Writer slot and DVD ROM.slot
    >>> also external Zip drive.
    >>> most wiped clean. I trashed all floppies ;-)
    >>>
    >>> 1. Is 1 GB memory really all I really have?
    >>> In My Documents folder alone, it reads that the
    >>> 'size' is 1.02 GBs and the 'Size' on Disc is 1.03 GBs.
    >>> I mainly store documents and some photos.

    >> You're looking in the WRONG place. Open "My Computer", right-click
    >> on the C: drive (it probably says "Local disk (C:)", select
    >> "Properties". It will show you a nice pie-chart showing how much of
    >> your hard drive is used and how much is available.

    > She is also confusing "memory" [RAM] with "hard disk space".

    Exactly - common "newbie" error :)

    Toolman Tim, Aug 10, 2006
  6. Sylvia M

    thanatoid Guest

    "Sylvia M" <> wrote in

    > Windows XP , Media Center 2005, with
    > 250 GB HD The tower label also says 1 GB Memory.
    > DVD+- RW / CD Writer slot and DVD ROM.slot
    > also external Zip drive.
    > most wiped clean. I trashed all floppies ;-)

    A whole book can fit on a floppy, not to mention most well-
    written programs. I have 15 year old floppies that work fine.
    You will be buying a box sooner or later.

    > 1. Is 1 GB memory really all I really have?
    > In My Documents folder alone, it reads that the
    > 'size' is 1.02 GBs and the 'Size' on Disc is 1.03 GBs.
    > I mainly store documents and some photos.

    You are confusing the amount of space in megabytes (MB) or
    gigabytes (GB) that stuff takes up on your big-ass (250 GB) hard
    drive and the 1 GB memory your computer has which is Random
    Access Memory used for operations and has NOTHING to do with the
    size of your hard drive or the amount of stuff on it. 1 GB RAM
    is PLENTY.

    > 2. This makes me think that I need to get some stuff out!

    Get Scanner from http://www.steffengerlach.de/freeware/ and you
    will see exactly how much space is taken up by what.

    > I've been backing up documents on some zips (100MBs)
    > and I own about 40 100MB zip disks.
    > Should I just use those?

    A lot of Zip disks fail. About the same failure rate as
    floppies, I think. I would back up the REALLY important stuff
    TWICE onto CD-R or DVD-R and store them in two separate places
    (the two copies I mean).

    > OR should I buy an external drive or
    > a Memory Stick (I have a slot for it)?

    Theoretically, a good Memory stick should never fail, but we've
    heard that before, huh? But they are relatively low-capacity.
    And CD/DVD-R's are SO cheap. Just get a good brand name (TDK,
    Fuji).

    There are no tutorials but the web has thousands of places where
    you can read up on all sorts of how-to-with-a-computer things.
    Google.

    thanatoid, Aug 10, 2006
  7. Sylvia M

    me Guest

    "thanatoid" <> wrote in message
    > "Sylvia M" <> wrote in
    >
    >> Windows XP , Media Center 2005, with
    >> 250 GB HD The tower label also says 1 GB Memory.
    >> DVD+- RW / CD Writer slot and DVD ROM.slot
    >> also external Zip drive.
    >> most wiped clean. I trashed all floppies ;-)

    > A whole book can fit on a floppy, not to mention most well-
    > written programs. I have 15 year old floppies that work fine.
    > You will be buying a box sooner or later.
    >
    >> 1. Is 1 GB memory really all I really have?
    >> In My Documents folder alone, it reads that the
    >> 'size' is 1.02 GBs and the 'Size' on Disc is 1.03 GBs.
    >> I mainly store documents and some photos.

    > You are confusing the amount of space in megabytes (MB) or
    > gigabytes (GB) that stuff takes up on your big-ass (250 GB) hard
    > drive and the 1 GB memory your computer has which is Random
    > Access Memory used for operations and has NOTHING to do with the
    > size of your hard drive or the amount of stuff on it. 1 GB RAM
    > is PLENTY.
    >
    >> 2. This makes me think that I need to get some stuff out!

    > Get Scanner from http://www.steffengerlach.de/freeware/ and you
    > will see exactly how much space is taken up by what.
    >
    >> I've been backing up documents on some zips (100MBs)
    >> and I own about 40 100MB zip disks.
    >> Should I just use those?

    > A lot of Zip disks fail. About the same failure rate as
    > floppies, I think. I would back up the REALLY important stuff
    > TWICE onto CD-R or DVD-R and store them in two separate places
    > (the two copies I mean).
    >
    >> OR should I buy an external drive or
    >> a Memory Stick (I have a slot for it)?

    > Theoretically, a good Memory stick should never fail, but we've
    > heard that before, huh? But they are relatively low-capacity.
    > And CD/DVD-R's are SO cheap. Just get a good brand name (TDK,
    > Fuji).

    Good brand names don't mean much. It depends which factory they get their
    discs from that makes the difference. I've had "good" brands made by CMC
    Magnetics,utter crap and high failure rate. Taiyo Yuden and Ritek discs are
    the ones to go for.

    me, Aug 10, 2006
  8. Sylvia M

    Sylvia M Guest

    me wrote:
    > "thanatoid" <> wrote in message
    >> "Sylvia M" <> wrote in
    >>
    >>> Windows XP , Media Center 2005, with
    >>> 250 GB HD The tower label also says 1 GB Memory.
    >>> DVD+- RW / CD Writer slot and DVD ROM.slot
    >>> also external Zip drive.
    >>> most wiped clean. I trashed all floppies ;-)

    >> A whole book can fit on a floppy, not to mention most well-
    >> written programs. I have 15 year old floppies that work fine.
    >> You will be buying a box sooner or later.
    >>
    >>> 1. Is 1 GB memory really all I really have?
    >>> In My Documents folder alone, it reads that the
    >>> 'size' is 1.02 GBs and the 'Size' on Disc is 1.03 GBs.
    >>> I mainly store documents and some photos.

    >> You are confusing the amount of space in megabytes (MB) or
    >> gigabytes (GB) that stuff takes up on your big-ass (250 GB) hard
    >> drive and the 1 GB memory your computer has which is Random
    >> Access Memory used for operations and has NOTHING to do with the
    >> size of your hard drive or the amount of stuff on it. 1 GB RAM
    >> is PLENTY.
    >>
    >>> 2. This makes me think that I need to get some stuff out!

    >> Get Scanner from http://www.steffengerlach.de/freeware/ and you
    >> will see exactly how much space is taken up by what.
    >>
    >>> I've been backing up documents on some zips (100MBs)
    >>> and I own about 40 100MB zip disks.
    >>> Should I just use those?

    >> A lot of Zip disks fail. About the same failure rate as
    >> floppies, I think. I would back up the REALLY important stuff
    >> TWICE onto CD-R or DVD-R and store them in two separate places
    >> (the two copies I mean).
    >>
    >>> OR should I buy an external drive or
    >>> a Memory Stick (I have a slot for it)?

    >> Theoretically, a good Memory stick should never fail, but we've
    >> heard that before, huh? But they are relatively low-capacity.
    >> And CD/DVD-R's are SO cheap. Just get a good brand name (TDK,
    >> Fuji).
    >>

    > Good brand names don't mean much. It depends which factory they get
    > their discs from that makes the difference. I've had "good" brands
    > made by CMC Magnetics,utter crap and high failure rate. Taiyo Yuden
    > and Ritek discs are the ones to go for.

    What was available to me was HP, CompUSA, Office Depot, and Sony.
    Since my computer didn't recognize one, I tried others. They are all
    recognized now, I was using the wrong slot ;-/

    I'll be taking all inputs into consideration as I back-up...probly twice.

    Thanks to all.

    Sylvia

    Sylvia M, Aug 10, 2006
  9. Sylvia M

    thanatoid Guest

    "me" <> wrote
    in news:9GyCg.81$y61.26@fed1read05:

    > "thanatoid" <> wrote in message
    >> "Sylvia M" <> wrote in
    >>
    >>> Windows XP , Media Center 2005, with
    >>> 250 GB HD The tower label also says 1 GB Memory.
    >>> DVD+- RW / CD Writer slot and DVD ROM.slot
    >>> also external Zip drive.
    >>> most wiped clean. I trashed all floppies ;-)

    >> A whole book can fit on a floppy, not to mention most
    >> well- written programs. I have 15 year old floppies that
    >> work fine. You will be buying a box sooner or later.
    >>
    >>> 1. Is 1 GB memory really all I really have?
    >>> In My Documents folder alone, it reads that the
    >>> 'size' is 1.02 GBs and the 'Size' on Disc is 1.03 GBs.
    >>> I mainly store documents and some photos.

    >> You are confusing the amount of space in megabytes (MB) or
    >> gigabytes (GB) that stuff takes up on your big-ass (250
    >> GB) hard drive and the 1 GB memory your computer has which
    >> is Random Access Memory used for operations and has
    >> NOTHING to do with the size of your hard drive or the
    >> amount of stuff on it. 1 GB RAM is PLENTY.
    >>
    >>> 2. This makes me think that I need to get some stuff out!

    >> Get Scanner from http://www.steffengerlach.de/freeware/
    >> and you will see exactly how much space is taken up by
    >> what.
    >>
    >>> I've been backing up documents on some zips (100MBs)
    >>> and I own about 40 100MB zip disks.
    >>> Should I just use those?

    >> A lot of Zip disks fail. About the same failure rate as
    >> floppies, I think. I would back up the REALLY important
    >> stuff TWICE onto CD-R or DVD-R and store them in two
    >> separate places (the two copies I mean).
    >>
    >>> OR should I buy an external drive or
    >>> a Memory Stick (I have a slot for it)?

    >> Theoretically, a good Memory stick should never fail, but
    >> we've heard that before, huh? But they are relatively
    >> low-capacity. And CD/DVD-R's are SO cheap. Just get a good
    >> brand name (TDK, Fuji).
    >>

    > Good brand names don't mean much. It depends which factory
    > they get their discs from that makes the difference. I've
    > had "good" brands made by CMC Magnetics,utter crap and high
    > failure rate. Taiyo Yuden and Ritek discs are the ones to
    > go for.

    AFAIK, Fujis are made by TY. I can't get the Fujis where I live,
    but I have used a couple hundred of the TDK's and Costco
    generally offers the best quality stuff - the elimination of the
    hours spent staring at 30 CD-R brands (or 30 paper towel brands)
    is almost as great a benefit of shopping there as the prices
    are. And most people do not have the skill and patience to find
    a program that tells them where the discs were made - and it's
    the masters that matter, anyway, and THEY could have been made
    anywhere. TDK has an excellent track record. I've been using
    their cassettes since the late 70's and not one has ever failed.
    Still have them.

    thanatoid, Aug 10, 2006
  10. thanatoid wrote:

    > A whole book can fit on a floppy, not to mention most well- written
    > programs. I have 15 year old floppies that work fine. You will be
    > buying a box sooner or later.

    I'm curious as to what kind of document that "whole book" is - what
    format, etc - that will fit on a floppy disk. 1.44 MB, right?

    And to find a program - application - that small is also quite rare.

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Aug 10, 2006
  11. Sylvia M

    Jimchip Guest

    On 2006-08-09, Sylvia M <> wrote:
    > Windows XP , Media Center 2005, with
    > 250 GB HD The tower label also says 1 GB Memory.
    > DVD+- RW / CD Writer slot and DVD ROM.slot
    > also external Zip drive.
    > most wiped clean. I trashed all floppies ;-)

    [snip]
    > I've been backing up documents on some zips (100MBs)
    > and I own about 40 100MB zip disks.
    > Should I just use those?
    > I also own:
    > 4x DVD-RWdiscs
    > DVD+R 4.7 4X discs

    Use the DVD disks...4.7GB a disk. Use DVD+R or DVD -R (whatever is on
    sale at the time) when you have full ~4GB chunks of data. Use DVD RW
    when you want to slowly increment the files on the disk but not finish
    it until it's full.

    > CD-R 4.7GB 4X discs

    -------^^^^^
    CD: Not bad to use and they're much less expensive...usually ~600MB

    > OR should I buy an external drive or
    > a Memory Stick (I have a slot for it)?

    External drives are not very expensive. Look for a sale. I have a
    Seagate that works fine. It has decent backup software. Routinely backup
    to the external drive and then burn DVD's at your leisure. It does sound
    like you want to keep your data.

    [snip]

    --
    Variables don't; constants aren't.

    Jimchip, Aug 10, 2006
  12. Sylvia M

    thanatoid Guest

    "Beauregard T. Shagnasty" <> wrote
    in

    > thanatoid wrote:
    >
    >> A whole book can fit on a floppy, not to mention most
    >> well- written programs. I have 15 year old floppies that
    >> work fine. You will be buying a box sooner or later.

    > I'm curious as to what kind of document that "whole book"
    > is - what format, etc - that will fit on a floppy disk.
    > 1.44 MB, right?
    >
    > And to find a program - application - that small is also
    > quite rare.

    The specific example I am using is a 300-page book my father
    wrote which was translated and the said translation was given to
    me on one floppy (1.44 MB, yes, that's what they hold) in Word.
    Knowing the bloat of Word documents, I was surprised myself, but
    there it is. Had it been my preferred format, TXT, you could
    probably fit a 1,200 page book on one. You know a lot more than
    I do, you do the math.

    AFA programs - most new programs, given the lovely example set
    by MS, and all the programs which need 20 MB to do what a 1MB
    program will do better, what you are saying is true, they are
    not as common as they were 15 ago. But they still exist, and
    they are usually better than the fat alternatives.

    A couple examples since you insist: One of my faves, CDRWin (the
    Arnold one, not the German crap), Total Commander, older (ie
    good) versions of ACDSee, i.Mage, GoldWave 4, Unique Filer, WS-
    FTP, FoxIt (pdf) Reader (faster and easier to use than Acrobat)
    and countless notepad/wordpad replacements, to name a few.

    Of course, many programs are between 5 and 10 MB or more and
    NEED to be that, especially advanced music editing, multimedia
    and such. But many programs are even bigger and don't need to be
    that size. I read recently that someone did an analysis of MS
    Office and found that it contained over 60% unnecessary or
    redundant code.

    You may have heard of Floppy Office.
    www.xtort.net/office/floppyoffice.php

    15 freeware programs on a floppy which do pretty much most of
    what an average Office user ever needs to get done - and a few
    extra programs of the kind MS does not even make. All GUI's, not
    command lines.
    Of course, they do not provide the dancing paperclip, useless
    eye candy, and lot of other SO essential elements of modern
    programming - so I guess they're not for everyone.

    BTW I visited the playpen and read your internet tips page -
    very nice, but you should have included my all-time favorite -
    the smallest, fastest browser there is, with NO java, NO flash
    (I consider those to be advantages), no pop-ups, no redirects,
    etc etc.
    www.offbyone.com

    For the morons that make their first page (or the whole site)
    all-flash, I use Opera - or just don't bother.

    Fits on a floppy, too.

    Also, for several years now I have been using nPop for email.
    The exe is under 200 KB and I prefer it to Eudora I was using
    before. I tried MANY others and they were all slow and stupid.
    Except Popcorn, but nPop does more.

    Anyway...

    In the remote event that I ever have sex again, how does one
    "SHAG NASTY", exactly? ;-)

    Regards
    t.

    P.S. Nice to see someone tell the truth about "accelerators",
    too. Although, as I am constantly told, "everyone" has broadband
    now. Right.

    thanatoid, Aug 10, 2006
  13. thanatoid wrote:

    > "Beauregard T. Shagnasty" <> wrote:
    >
    >> thanatoid wrote:
    >>
    >>> A whole book can fit on a floppy, not to mention most well- written
    >>> programs. I have 15 year old floppies that work fine. You will be
    >>> buying a box sooner or later.

    >> I'm curious as to what kind of document that "whole book" is - what
    >> format, etc - that will fit on a floppy disk. 1.44 MB, right?
    >>
    >> And to find a program - application - that small is also quite rare.

    > The specific example I am using is a 300-page book my father wrote
    > which was translated and the said translation was given to me on one
    > floppy (1.44 MB, yes, that's what they hold) in Word. Knowing the
    > bloat of Word documents, I was surprised myself, but there it is. Had
    > it been my preferred format, TXT, you could probably fit a 1,200 page
    > book on one. You know a lot more than I do, you do the math.

    My wife writes short stories, and the majority of her .doc files seem to
    average around 12KB per page, what with formatting, page numbers and the
    like. I can see a text document of 300 pages fitting, but - as you say -
    Word bloat makes them much larger.

    I use Oo.o

    > recently that someone did an analysis of MS Office and found that it
    > contained over 60% unnecessary or redundant code.

    Heh! They get even worse after being passed around an office for
    editing, don't they?

    > You may have heard of Floppy Office.
    > www.xtort.net/office/floppyoffice.php

    No I hadn't, but it looks interesting. Thanks.

    > BTW I visited the playpen and read your internet tips page - very
    > nice, but you should have included my all-time favorite - the
    > smallest, fastest browser there is, with NO java, NO flash (I
    > consider those to be advantages), no pop-ups, no redirects, etc etc.
    > www.offbyone.com

    I use OffByOne myself occasionally, but didn't include it there, so I
    added it. <g>

    > For the morons that make their first page (or the whole site)
    > all-flash, I use Opera - or just don't bother.
    >
    > Fits on a floppy, too.

    Yeah, I use Opera quite a bit. Version 9 is about 4.7MB download.

    > In the remote event that I ever have sex again, how does one "SHAG
    > NASTY", exactly? ;-)

    That would be two words ... I don't know.

    > P.S. Nice to see someone tell the truth about "accelerators", too.
    > Although, as I am constantly told, "everyone" has broadband now.
    > Right.

    Believe I read 40% of US citizens who are internet-aware, are on
    broadband.

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Aug 10, 2006
  14. Sylvia M

    thanatoid Guest

    :

    > thanatoid wrote:
    >
    >> "Beauregard T. Shagnasty" <>
    >> wrote:

    >>> I'm curious as to what kind of document that "whole book"
    >>> is - what format, etc - that will fit on a floppy disk.
    >>> 1.44 MB, right?
    >>>
    >>> And to find a program - application - that small is also
    >>> quite rare.

    >> The specific example I am using is a 300-page book my
    >> father wrote which was translated and the said translation
    >> was given to me on one floppy (1.44 MB, yes, that's what
    >> they hold) in Word. Knowing the bloat of Word documents, I
    >> was surprised myself, but there it is. Had it been my
    >> preferred format, TXT, you could probably fit a 1,200 page
    >> book on one. You know a lot more than I do, you do the
    >> math.

    > My wife writes short stories, and the majority of her .doc
    > files seem to average around 12KB per page, what with
    > formatting, page numbers and the like. I can see a text
    > document of 300 pages fitting, but - as you say - Word
    > bloat makes them much larger.
    >
    > I use Oo.o

    Care to elaborate? Rather cryptic...

    >> recently that someone did an analysis of MS Office and
    >> found that it contained over 60% unnecessary or redundant
    >> code.

    > Heh! They get even worse after being passed around an
    > office for editing, don't they?

    No, they meant the PROGRAM itself, not the ridiculous over-
    edited files with all the editions and corrections and
    expletives still in them, just hidden...

    >> You may have heard of Floppy Office.
    >> www.xtort.net/office/floppyoffice.php

    > No I hadn't, but it looks interesting. Thanks.
    >
    >> BTW I visited the playpen and read your internet tips page
    >> - very nice, but you should have included my all-time
    >> favorite - the smallest, fastest browser there is, with NO
    >> java, NO flash (I consider those to be advantages), no
    >> pop-ups, no redirects, etc etc. www.offbyone.com

    > I use OffByOne myself occasionally, but didn't include it
    > there, so I added it. <g>
    >
    >> For the morons that make their first page (or the whole
    >> site) all-flash, I use Opera - or just don't bother.
    >>
    >> Fits on a floppy, too.

    I meant Ob1 without the ssl files.

    > Yeah, I use Opera quite a bit. Version 9 is about 4.7MB
    > download.

    I use 7.23 and the exe is 1.4 MB. After glancing at the
    directories, something tells me it might run without most if not
    all of the other extra files. I might try it one of these days.

    >> P.S. Nice to see someone tell the truth about
    >> "accelerators", too. Although, as I am constantly told,
    >> "everyone" has broadband now. Right.

    > Believe I read 40% of US citizens who are internet-aware,
    > are on broadband.

    And that's the US. I think in Holland it's like almost 100%, but
    most of the world is not either of those two countries.

    Regards,
    t.

    thanatoid, Aug 10, 2006
  15. thanatoid wrote:

    > "Beauregard T. Shagnasty" <> wrote:
    >> I use Oo.o

    > Care to elaborate? Rather cryptic...

    OpenOffice.org

    [Word]
    >> Heh! They get even worse after being passed around an
    >> office for editing, don't they?

    > No, they meant the PROGRAM itself, not the ridiculous over-
    > edited files with all the editions and corrections and
    > expletives still in them, just hidden...

    Oh, the program. Yesss, much bloat.

    >>> Fits on a floppy, too.

    > I meant Ob1 without the ssl files.

    Sorry. That was just under your Opera paragraph.

    >> Believe I read 40% of US citizens who are internet-aware, are on
    >> broadband.

    > And that's the US. I think in Holland it's like almost 100%, but most
    > of the world is not either of those two countries.

    Holland is small enough for one wireless access point, isn't it? <g>

    There is a lot of rural space in the U.S. that won't have broadband for
    quite some time (if ever), unless one uses satellite. And as I
    understand it, that still requires a phone line for upload.

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Aug 10, 2006