    performance!

    Also, how do I get the best from my processor? I suspect I am operating at
    32bit.
    =?Utf-8?B?TWF0dA==?=, Jul 29, 2007

  2. =?Utf-8?B?TWF0dA==?=

    XS11E Guest

    Matt <> wrote:

    > Just treated myself to a new laptop. it claims to have a 1 gig
    > memory, but when I check my properties, it only show 766mb. BIOS
    > shows even less at 633. Have I been duped by Acer, or is this
    > something in Vista (home prem)? My taskmanager memory is running
    > at 70% with no apps running, v poor performance!

    There's memory (probably 256mb?) dedicated to the video so 766 is
    probably about right.

    > Also, how do I get the best from my processor? I suspect I am
    > operating at 32bit.

    You probably have Vista 32 bit installed. Changing to 64 bit won't
    help at all as there are very few 64 bit applications available and
    most laptops won't handle enough memory to justify a 64 bit OS.

    Your best move might be to remove unneeded applications.

    XS11E, Jul 29, 2007

  3. "XS11E" wrote:

    > Matt <> wrote:
    >
    > > Just treated myself to a new laptop. it claims to have a 1 gig
    > > memory, but when I check my properties, it only show 766mb. BIOS
    > > shows even less at 633. Have I been duped by Acer, or is this
    > > something in Vista (home prem)? My taskmanager memory is running
    > > at 70% with no apps running, v poor performance!

    > There's memory (probably 256mb?) dedicated to the video so 766 is
    > probably about right.
    >
    > > Also, how do I get the best from my processor? I suspect I am
    > > operating at 32bit.

    > You probably have Vista 32 bit installed. Changing to 64 bit won't
    > help at all as there are very few 64 bit applications available and
    > most laptops won't handle enough memory to justify a 64 bit OS.
    >
    > Your best move might be to remove unneeded applications.

    > The Usenet Improvement Project: http://blinkynet.net/comp/uip5.html

    Taken it down to the bone, application wise. Think I will call Acer, see
    what they say. Don't see the point in buying a laptop that states 64bit in
    the specs, but does not deliver. Put this one down to experiance
    =?Utf-8?B?TWF0dA==?=, Jul 30, 2007
  4. =?Utf-8?B?TWF0dA==?=

    XS11E Guest

    Matt <> wrote:

    > Think I will call Acer, see what they say. Don't see the point in
    > buying a laptop that states 64bit in the specs, but does not
    > deliver. Put this one down to experiance

    You're OK, you didn't get shafted.

    First, I doubt that you can buy a 32 bit laptop today.

    Second, although almost all new desktops and laptops are 64 bit, most
    come with a 32 bit OS for a lot of reasons, one being that there are no
    64 bit applications so far. That will change in the future but as of
    now almost every application you'll probably need is available as 32
    bit only. Another reason is that many suppliers do not have 64 bit
    drivers for their hardware yet, you might find no 64 bit driver for the
    modem or soundcard or touchpad or ????? in your laptop.

    Third, the biggest single advantage of a 64 bit OS right now is the
    ability to address more memory but laptops cannot take advantage of
    that as the manufacturers of laptop memory don't have larger SODIMMS
    available yet. It's not Acer's doing, it's the way things are.

    BTW, if you ask, Acer will probably replace your 32 bit version of
    Vista with a 64 bit version and if so, you'll learn all the above the
    hard way! <G>

    XS11E, Jul 30, 2007
  5. see what you mean, good point. microsoft are to send me the 64bit o/s, may
    try it anyway just for the hell of it. thanks for your reply, most helpful.

    =?Utf-8?B?TWF0dA==?=, Jul 31, 2007