    512 in one slot and a 128 in another? I have two 128 sticks now and need
    to get some more.

    What is the best practice for upgrading memory?
    Brian Merlini, Feb 19, 2005

  2. Brian Merlini

    Toolman Tim Guest

    "Brian Merlini" <> wrote in message
    news:mu8thcui4ram$...
    | Can I plug different sized sticks of memory in each slot? For example a
    | 512 in one slot and a 128 in another? I have two 128 sticks now and need
    | to get some more.

    That would depend entirely on the motherboard. Some can, some can't. I've
    mixed memory sizes frequently - currently my PC at work has one 512, and two
    256.

    | What is the best practice for upgrading memory?

    Watch speeds...the computer will only access memory at the speed of the
    slowest.

    www.crucial.com
    Toolman Tim, Feb 19, 2005

  3. Brian Merlini

    Ron Martell Guest

    Brian Merlini <> wrote:

    >Can I plug different sized sticks of memory in each slot? For example a
    >512 in one slot and a 128 in another? I have two 128 sticks now and need
    >to get some more.

    Yes, provided your motherboard will support 512 mb modules. Check
    the motherboard documentation or check the manufacturer's web site.

    >What is the best practice for upgrading memory?

    Avoid mismatched modules if possible. Modules with different speed
    ratings, from different manufacturers, or from different production
    lots of the same manufacturer can have differences in the material
    composition and/or the internal layout of the memory chips. These
    differences can affect the strength and/or the timing of the signals
    returned from the RAM and Windows is sensitive to these differences.

    Sometimes these things work out. My system has been running for a
    couple of years now with two 256 mb PC2100 modules in it - one from
    Kingston and the other from Micron. No problems with Windows XP.
    But I may be pushing things a bit in the future. I will be replacing
    one of the 256 mb modules with a 512 mb PC3200 module next week and
    that could trigger some difficulties, forcing me to replace the other
    256 mb module as well. I need to get more than 512 mb on this box
    and there are only two slots on the motherboard.

    Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
    --
    Microsoft MVP
    On-Line Help Computer Service

    Ron Martell, Feb 19, 2005
  4. Brian Merlini

    Plato Guest

    Brian Merlini wrote:

    > Can I plug different sized sticks of memory in each slot? For example a
    > 512 in one slot and a 128 in another? I have two 128 sticks now and need
    > to get some more.

    In theory, yes if your motherboard supports such. In practice often new
    ram just doesn/t like being in bed with old ram.

    --
    http://www.bootdisk.com/
    Plato, Feb 19, 2005
  5. Plato wrote:

    > In theory, yes if your motherboard supports such. In practice often new
    > ram just doesn/t like being in bed with old ram.

    Age aside, ram should be in bed with ewe. But I realize there's a lot
    of that other stuff goin' on.

    --
    Blinky Linux Registered User 297263
    Who has implemented Usenet Solution #45933:
    Blinky the Shark, Feb 19, 2005
  6. Brian Merlini

    niceguy Guest

    always put the largest in the "ist" slot

    niceguy, Feb 19, 2005