Memory Allocation Failed

Discussion in 'Windows 64bit' started by Gary MCSE, Jun 26, 2005.

  1. Gary MCSE

    Gary MCSE Guest

    I have been having problems with my Sony CD-RW of late.
    It records extremely slow, (4X but it has a 52X Max), and sometimes it wont
    record at all.
    The built in XP burning software will not work at all.

    I ran Checkit Suite and all checks good but I get a Memory Allocation Failed
    error.
    I have 1.5gb of DDR 2700 and a 30gb HDD with roughly 20gb free.
    Tried changing page file settings, (Increase) but still the error persists.

    Problems may be unrelated and the system runs absolutely great with the X64
    version.
    I am using a generic brand of CD-RW blanks and it sems that this issue with
    the CD burner started with the acquisition of these blanks.
    But I had also just done a Format/Reload of my 32 bit system and installed
    the x64 as well.
    Lots of variables to contend with.
    I have also d/l'd the Highmat update for the onboard burning software but I
    thought that is primarily for ISO's.

    Maybe step 1 is to try different CD-RW media.
    Funny part is I get the exact same problems on the 32 bit as the 64 bit.
    Also have tried Roxio Easy CD as well as the software that came with the
    Sony both give the same results.

    I am able to burn disks but it usually takes a lot longer than it should,
    running at 4X is a big part of it, but it takes a very long time for it to
    even start the writing phase.

    Any input will definitely be appreciated.

    Gary

    Gary MCSE, Jun 26, 2005

  2. Gary MCSE

    M. Murcek Guest

    I found that a Sony DVD writer would lock the Explorer (not IE) completely
    just trying to read a CD. Seems like Sony's firmware might not be playing
    nice. I was told in a reply to a post below that a plain old Lite-On DVD
    writer works fine. I've always been partial to Plextor, but I'm told they
    also cause problems.

    I don't believe that's really any help, resolution wise, but it is what I've
    read here so far.

    M. Murcek, Jun 26, 2005

  3. I would recommend you give NERO a try, http://www.nero.com
    --
    Andre
    Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com

    Andre Da Costa [Extended64], Jun 26, 2005
  4. Gary MCSE

    John Barnes Guest

    Just to clarify, the Plextor that locks my system on x64 is a SATA model not
    an IDE model. Both the Lite-on and NEC that work on x64 are IDE.

    John Barnes, Jun 27, 2005