    don't understand the meaning. For example, why can a 32 bit OS only
    "address" a maximum of 2 gig of RAM?

    Thanks.

    Rob, May 27, 2004

  2. "Addressing" memory means to describe a location in memory by using an
    address. Let's say that your operating system only uses four bits for
    memory addresses, and let's assume further that each address refers to
    one byte of memory.

    You have sixteen possible memory addresses that you can refer to (0000
    binary through 1111 binary). Each address refers to one byte of
    memory, so this particular operating system would only be able to
    "address" sixteen bytes of memory. If you allow the memory addresses
    to be 32 bits long, you can specify a little over 4 billion different
    addresses. If each address refers to one byte of RAM, then you can
    address 4 GB of RAM.

    While a 32-bit operating system might be able to address 4 GB of
    memory, individual applications running under the operating system
    might only be able to address 2GB of memory. As an example, I believe
    Windows XP Home can recognize 4 GB of RAM, but I don't think
    individual applications can access more than 2GB each.

    In short, the amount of memory an operating system can "address" is
    dependent on how many addresses are available, and how much memory is
    located at each address.

    Scott Gardner

    Scott Gardner, May 27, 2004

  3. Rob

    Rob Guest

    Re: MEMORY ADDRESSING QUESTION; Thanks!

    Scott:

    Thank you very much; I do appreciate it.

    Rob, May 27, 2004