    various burning programs. Am I missing something obvious? My Fuji +R blanks
    don't have any RW logo, so it seems to be unique to the Memorex. Anyone?

    Thanks.

    ttfg, Dec 31, 2003

  2. ttfg

    Dan P. Guest

    "ttfg" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > I'm new to DVD burning, but have recently bought some Memorex DVD+R

    blanks. I
    > noticed something strange -- first on the outer label --just to the left

    of the
    > large letters saying DVD+R is a small "RW" logo. In addition, that logo is

    also
    > on the discs, to the left of the center hole, next to the speed rating

    (4X),
    > while to the right of the hole they are clearly labeled DVD+R.
    >
    > So, why the RW label? They are clearly not re-writables, as identified by
    > various burning programs. Am I missing something obvious? My Fuji +R

    blanks
    > don't have any RW logo, so it seems to be unique to the Memorex. Anyone?
    >
    > Thanks.

    Yeah it is a little misleading... The "RW" represents the format logo, not
    whether the disc is rewritable or not. It's similar to the DVD forum's
    "DVD" logo.

    On my Memorex +R discs, they have the "RW" logo, but underneath it, it says
    "DVD +R" to indicate it is a write-once disc.

    Dan

    Dan P., Dec 31, 2003

  3. ttfg

    Big Easy Guest

    I think to RW Logo means you can read &
    write not re-write.
    A re-writable disk would show DVD+RW or
    DVD-RW and the write once is DVD+R and
    DVD-R
    Big Easy

    "ttfg" <> wrote
    in message

    Big Easy, Dec 31, 2003
  4. ttfg

    ttfg Guest

    On Wed, 31 Dec 2003 05:51:17 GMT, "Dan P." <> wrote:

    >"ttfg" <> wrote in message
    >> I'm new to DVD burning, but have recently bought some Memorex DVD+R

    >blanks. I
    >> noticed something strange -- first on the outer label --just to the left

    >of the
    >> large letters saying DVD+R is a small "RW" logo. In addition, that logo is

    >also
    >> on the discs, to the left of the center hole, next to the speed rating

    >(4X),
    >> while to the right of the hole they are clearly labeled DVD+R.
    >>
    >> So, why the RW label? They are clearly not re-writables, as identified by
    >> various burning programs. Am I missing something obvious? My Fuji +R

    >blanks
    >> don't have any RW logo, so it seems to be unique to the Memorex. Anyone?
    >>
    >> Thanks.

    >Yeah it is a little misleading... The "RW" represents the format logo, not
    >whether the disc is rewritable or not. It's similar to the DVD forum's
    >"DVD" logo.
    >
    >On my Memorex +R discs, they have the "RW" logo, but underneath it, it says
    >"DVD +R" to indicate it is a write-once disc.
    >

    > Dan

    Mine too, just was confused. Figured it was something I was just not familiar
    with. Thanks to both of you.

    ttfg, Dec 31, 2003
  5. ttfg

    Philip Guest

    "ttfg" <> wrote in message
    > I'm new to DVD burning, but have recently bought some Memorex DVD+R

    blanks. I
    > noticed something strange -- first on the outer label --just to the left

    of the
    > large letters saying DVD+R is a small "RW" logo. In addition, that logo is

    also
    > on the discs, to the left of the center hole, next to the speed rating

    (4X),
    > while to the right of the hole they are clearly labeled DVD+R.
    >
    > So, why the RW label? They are clearly not re-writables, as identified by
    > various burning programs. Am I missing something obvious? My Fuji +R

    blanks
    > don't have any RW logo, so it seems to be unique to the Memorex. Anyone?
    >
    > Thanks.

    Hi

    Branding and marketing! Originally Philips had no plans for a write once
    disc, so produced marketing and logos and built brand awareness around the
    "RW" logo. When +R came along to compete with DVD-R, they couldn't afford
    the time to build brand awareness around another logo, so the RW logo
    stayed, even if misleading, for the write-once discs.

    The RW logo is a branding and advertising logo, the DVD forum logos are to
    show compliance to the specification and that a licence is owned by the
    manufacturer to support that format, which is why they have one for each
    type of disc.

    Regards

    Philip

    Philip, Dec 31, 2003
  6. ttfg

    Guest

    Philip wrote:

    > "ttfg" <> wrote in message
    > > I'm new to DVD burning, but have recently bought some Memorex DVD+R

    > blanks. I
    > > noticed something strange -- first on the outer label --just to the left

    > of the
    > > large letters saying DVD+R is a small "RW" logo. In addition, that logo is

    > also
    > > on the discs, to the left of the center hole, next to the speed rating

    > (4X),
    > > while to the right of the hole they are clearly labeled DVD+R.
    > >
    > > So, why the RW label? They are clearly not re-writables, as identified by
    > > various burning programs. Am I missing something obvious? My Fuji +R

    > blanks
    > > don't have any RW logo, so it seems to be unique to the Memorex. Anyone?
    > >
    > > Thanks.

    > Hi
    >
    > Branding and marketing! Originally Philips had no plans for a write once
    > disc, so produced marketing and logos and built brand awareness around the
    > "RW" logo. When +R came along to compete with DVD-R, they couldn't afford
    > the time to build brand awareness around another logo, so the RW logo
    > stayed, even if misleading, for the write-once discs.
    >
    > The RW logo is a branding and advertising logo, the DVD forum logos are to
    > show compliance to the specification and that a licence is owned by the
    > manufacturer to support that format, which is why they have one for each
    > type of disc.
    >
    > Regards
    >
    > Philip+

    I think if you look further, you will find that if a DVD player is "RW"
    compatible, it will play the non-standard VR mode DVD's, at least that
    is what my Pioneer 210S manual says.

    , Jan 3, 2004
  7. ttfg

    Philip Guest

    <> wrote in message
    > I think if you look further, you will find that if a DVD player is "RW"
    > compatible, it will play the non-standard VR mode DVD's, at least that
    > is what my Pioneer 210S manual says.

    Hi

    That is a completely different thing. Unfortunately the industry was too
    greedy to standardise on one set of recordable DVD specifications, so we now
    have a confusing array of formats and logos.

    The Pioneer RW logo (which arrived before +RW) denotes that a DVD Player or
    Recorder will play or record to DVD-RW discs using the VR mode. The VR mode
    is a real-time recording method approved by the DVD Forum and used on DVD-RW
    (and DVD-RAM) in set-top recorders. Philips later came up with their own
    recording standard for recorders using +RW, and to further baffle everyone
    they call this recording method VR!

    You might wonder if Philips have deliberately set out to confuse the general
    public over what format does what and what disc works in what with their
    copying of naming conventions from already existing formats, and you might
    be right. It smacks of, "If you can't beat the competition, confuse the
    customer completely so no one buys anything at all" mentality. Either that
    or Philips have not been able to name anything with originality. Some how I
    think the latter is the least likely :)

    The question from this is why the DVD Forum has allowed Philips to confuse
    the public in this way. Well they did try and stop it, however some clever
    lawyers argued that you can not trademark letters of the alphabet, (logos
    yes which is why you will not see a DVD logo on +RW discs), hence Philips
    are able to use the letters D, V, D, and R, W, and V, R, on their own
    products despite it being obvious that they are using already well know
    existing tradenames from products that do the same thing. Provided they use
    different fonts and do not copy logos they can get away with it and do. It
    is us the consumer who suffers from being completely confused by it all.

    Thankfully as time goes on more and more hardware will support all the
    formats so will work with whatever disc you throw in, and Philips themselves
    are now manufacturing components to support the "other" formats they tried
    hard to usurp. I just wonder if DVD Players will have enough room on the
    front to print all the logos!

    Regards

    Philip

    Philip, Jan 3, 2004
  8. ttfg

    Jorg Guest

    The DVD+RW and DVD+R logos are by far the most shittiest system logos
    ever designed. Especially the DVD+R logo with the RW in the square is
    of course very misleading to unaware customers. Then again, one could
    even argue about the name of the format (plus). But let's get used to
    it, there's no way back now.

    > Branding and marketing! Originally Philips had no plans for a write once
    > disc, so produced marketing and logos and built brand awareness around the
    > "RW" logo.

    The DVD+RW (and DVD+R) logos were designed by Sony, back in 1997. Not
    Philips! This is strange, because Sony also designed the most
    beautiful system logo ever, namely the one for SACD.

    > The RW logo is a branding and advertising logo, the DVD forum logos are to
    > show compliance to the specification and that a licence is owned by the
    > manufacturer to support that format,

    Of course, this is bull shit. the DVD+RW and DVD+R logos are no
    branding or advertising logos (at least, not more than the DVD-Video
    logos are). When a product carries the DVD+RW or DVD+R logo, it
    confirms to the DVD+RW or DVD+R specification. And that a license has
    been payed to the DVD+R/+RW format owners.

    Jorg, Jan 3, 2004
  9. ttfg

    Trevor S Guest

    "Philip" <> wrote in

    <snip>

    > of the alphabet, (logos yes which is why you will not see a DVD logo
    > on +RW discs), hence Philips are able to use the letters D, V, D, and
    > R, W, and V, R, on their own products despite it being obvious that
    > they are using already well know existing tradenames from products
    > that do the same thing. Provided they use different fonts and do not
    > copy logos they can get away with it and do. It is us the consumer
    > who suffers from being completely confused by it all.

    mmm.. I should have no problems using the letters C O C A C O L and A on
    a softdrink beverage then ?

    --
    Trevor S

    -Albert Einstein

    Trevor S, Jan 4, 2004
  10. ttfg

    Philip Guest

    "Trevor S" <> wrote in message
    > "Philip" <> wrote in
    > mmm.. I should have no problems using the letters C O C A C O L and A on
    > a softdrink beverage then ?
    >
    > --

    Hi, Lol..

    This wouldn't work as it is "Coca Cola", i.e. they are words, a tradename,
    and not just letters of the alphabet that do not make up a word. Although
    having said that you can still get around it, for example I can buy "Cola"
    at the local supermarket that isn't Coca Cola. Another example, you could
    try and use IBM as your company name, but would still get into trouble as
    IBM are initials for International Business Machines, i.e. an abbreviation
    of a registered company, with IBM registered as a tradename of that company.
    Where the DVD forum went wrong is DVD doesn't actually stand for anything,
    we may refer to it as Digital Versatile Disc, but it never meant this
    officially, it just become D.V.D and that was that, so it is very hard to
    stop somebody else using the letters.

    Now you know why BluRay is called BluRay and not some other abbreviation or
    acronym. You can also guess way 'Blu' is missing the "e", easier to claim
    ownership on the name!

    Regards

    Philip

    Philip, Jan 4, 2004
  11. ttfg

    Jorg Guest

    > You might wonder if Philips have deliberately set out to confuse the general
    > public over what format does what and what disc works in what with their
    > copying of naming conventions from already existing formats, and you might
    > be right. It smacks of, "If you can't beat the competition, confuse the
    > customer completely so no one buys anything at all" mentality. Either that
    > or Philips have not been able to name anything with originality. Some how I
    > think the latter is the least likely :)

    I find it pretty amazing that you accuse Philips and the DVD+RW of
    "confusing the market". May I remind you, Philip, that DVD+RW is the
    only format out there that is completely based on the DVD-Video
    format? That it is the only format that offer only one recording mode,
    which is always DVD-Video compatible? That is does not require
    additional "VR" modes to offer the simplest things like overwriting,
    chapter placement, etc., but thereby completely sacrificing DVD-Video
    compatibility? If there is one format that is "confusing the customer"
    with needless, technical shit, completely going beond everything that
    was ever decided upon in the DVD-Video spec, then it is the official
    "DVD Forum" standard DVD-RW. Com'on, are you realy going to believe
    that the ultimate VHS replacement will be a machine so difficult to
    operate (various recording "modes", finalization options, formatting
    options, etc. --- DVD-RW), that the everage customer would not even
    dare to touch one.

    > The question from this is why the DVD Forum has allowed Philips to confuse
    > the public in this way.

    Allowed? What!? Because the holy DVD Forum is just a group of Japanese
    companies trying to promote a format, just as the DVD+RW Alliance
    does. The DVD Forum is no official body whatsoever. This is why
    Pioneer (the DVD-RW guys) support SACD (not an official DVD Forum
    format), or why Panasonic supports Blu-Ray Disc (not an official DVD
    Forum format). They only shout about formats being "officially
    approved" when they like to. And then again: What is "official"? Like
    I said before: The only format completely based on the original DVD
    Forum-approved DVD-Video standard is DVD+RW. The others just invent
    new "official standards", and then claim to follow the official rules.
    DVD-RAM anyone!? :)

    > Thankfully as time goes on more and more hardware will support all the
    > formats

    You are refering to...? VR mode? DVD-RAM?
    Are you realizing that inventing a format and then claiming something
    like "our future players will play this", is a completely different
    approach than inventing a format that can be played on the millions of
    DVD players already outthere?

    Jorg, Jan 4, 2004