Meging two BGP autonomous systems

Discussion in 'Cisco' started by Patrick Colbeck, Nov 26, 2003.

  1. Hi

    I have searched and can't find much documentation on doing this anywhere
    so if anyone has any pointers they would be gratefully received.
    I have a customer who is a small ISP with their own AS and they are now
    merging with another small ISP also with their own AS. What they need to
    do is integrate the two ASs into one whilst causing as little disturbance
    to customer conectivity as possible. I think they need to do the following
    but am not entirely sure:

    1) Get some backend links between the two companies and get their IGP
    (OSPF to talk to each other).

    2) For the AS thats going to dissapear reconfigure the border routers BGP
    to use the AA thats going to stay but use the local-as feature to continue
    feeding the old AS number to the upstream ISPs until they can reconfigure
    their routers.

    3) Configure IBGP between the two sites.

    Anything wrong with this or anything I have missed ?

    Thanks

    Pat

    Patrick Colbeck, Nov 26, 2003

  2. Patrick Colbeck

    Ivan Guest

    "Patrick Colbeck" <> wrote in message
    > Hi
    >
    > I have searched and can't find much documentation on doing this anywhere
    > so if anyone has any pointers they would be gratefully received.
    > I have a customer who is a small ISP with their own AS and they are now
    > merging with another small ISP also with their own AS. What they need to
    > do is integrate the two ASs into one whilst causing as little disturbance
    > to customer conectivity as possible. I think they need to do the following
    > but am not entirely sure:

    IMHO, what they need is an Consultant that will create strategy for them...

    Ivan

    Ivan, Nov 27, 2003

  3. In article <bq4g73$1tjj9k$-berlin.de>,
    "Ivan" <> wrote:

    > "Patrick Colbeck" <> wrote in message
    > > Hi
    > >
    > > I have searched and can't find much documentation on doing this anywhere
    > > so if anyone has any pointers they would be gratefully received.
    > > I have a customer who is a small ISP with their own AS and they are now
    > > merging with another small ISP also with their own AS. What they need to
    > > do is integrate the two ASs into one whilst causing as little disturbance
    > > to customer conectivity as possible. I think they need to do the following
    > > but am not entirely sure:

    > IMHO, what they need is an Consultant that will create strategy for them...

    I'm available now, since Level(3) just closed the former Genuity
    offices. In my 9 years with BBN Planet/GTE
    Internetworking/Genuity/Level 3 I've seen a number of AS mergers.
    Although I haven't generally been involved in doing the mergers, I've
    frequently had to help customers deal with the consequences.

    --
    Barry Margolin,
    Woburn, MA

    Barry Margolin, Dec 5, 2003