megapixels or zoom lense? Which is best for wildlife,landscapes?

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by northfork500@netscape.net, Mar 9, 2005.

  1. Guest

    Ok, I am looking at two cameras. They will be primarily for outdoor
    shooting of landscapes, wildlife etc. This is just for personal
    enjoyment.

    The cameras:

    Fuji e550 6 MP 4x zoom
    Fuji s5100 4 MP 10x zoom

    One camera has the longer zoom, one has higher megapixels. For shots of
    eagles, elk etc, and landscapes, which camera will suit my purposes
    better? I read a review at Stevesdigicams which states the digital zoom
    on the e550 actual does not hurt image quality at all, which is
    interesting. The review said you could get another 1.4x at 6 megapixel
    mode, giving the camera an actual zoom of 5.4x.

    So lets say you have captured an eagle with both the e550 and the
    s5100. Would I in effect be able to get as good of a picture as the
    s5100 by digitally zooming into the photo I took on the e550 in
    Photoshop? Would the 6 megapixel clarity of the e550 allow me to zoom
    in and get as nice of a shot as a 10x zoom 4 megapixel?

    Thanks for any help, hints, etc.

    , Mar 9, 2005

  2. Don Guest

    In my experience you would be better of with the 10x zoom if it is optical.
    A 4 meg camera will give you good 5 x 7 prints. Unless you have the
    capacity to get very close to your wildlife the 4 times zoom will not
    generally cut it. I have seen good wildlife shots with 70mm zooms but the
    animals in question were bloody close and very used to people. However, if
    you are trying to get shots of raptors then go with the 10x or spend a lot
    of time at aviaries and zoos. I have a 400mm L series Canon on my 8 meg 20D
    and even that is generally a little short for all the things I would like to
    do.

    regards

    Don from Down Under

    Don, Mar 9, 2005

  3. wrote:
    > Ok, I am looking at two cameras. They will be primarily for outdoor
    > shooting of landscapes, wildlife etc. This is just for personal
    > enjoyment.
    >
    > The cameras:
    >
    > Fuji e550 6 MP 4x zoom
    > Fuji s5100 4 MP 10x zoom

    Let's look at the facts. First totally ignore any reference to digital
    zoom. Only optical zoom counts. I just checked and it appears the 5100
    does have optical 10X.

    That leaves a couple of questions however.

    You asked about two totally different situations. Eagles and
    landscapes. Eagles, in the wild are going to take more than you are even
    close to. Plan on some really expensive equipment. I would suggest that
    10-20,000 dollars might do it. I just don't want you to be disappointed.
    What you are looking at can take some very fine photos and you may even be
    able to get some good wildlife photos if you are good at getting yourself
    close to the wildlife.

    The other end Landscapes generally calls for the opposite end where you
    want not telephotos lenses, but wide angle. Consider looking out over the
    Grand Canyon. Is the excitement seeing that one tree on the far side, or is
    it seeing all of the great vista from side to side top to bottom as wide as
    your eye can see.

    So what exactly is a 10X zoom? Well it is not the same 10X that a pair
    of 10X binoculars will give you. The binoculars will make the image look 10
    times bigger, but a 10X zoom, who knows. What the 10X zoom means is the
    telephoto end will look ten times closer than the wide end. But without
    knowing where the wide end is or the telephoto end is, you know nothing. If
    the zoom is bias towards the wide end the zoom any only be 2X normal That
    would be great for your landscapes, but not so good for the eagle. If it
    were bias towards the telephoto it might mean the eagle may be 5X normal or
    about the equivalent of a 250mm lens on a standard 35mm, far from the 1,000
    mm plus that would normally be considered the starting point for that kind
    of photography.

    Of the two cameras I would suggest that the 550 would have the edge if
    you wanted many 8X10 or larger photos and the 5100 would have the edge
    otherwise, based on what I do know of the two.

    --
    Joseph Meehan

    26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math

    Joseph Meehan, Mar 9, 2005
  4. Guest

    wrote:

    >Ok, I am looking at two cameras. They will be primarily for outdoor
    >shooting of landscapes, wildlife etc. This is just for personal
    >enjoyment.
    >
    >The cameras:
    >
    >Fuji e550 6 MP 4x zoom
    >Fuji s5100 4 MP 10x zoom

    I hope I understand the math here and someone will point out my error
    if I get this wrong. Call camera 1, 1x @ 6mp and camera 2, 2.5x at
    4mp.

    Just to make what I am thinking even easier, let me compare a 1x to a
    2x.

    On the 1x camera an object is from bottom of frame to midpoint of
    frame, at 2x the same object is from bottom of frame to top of frame.
    So, the number of megapixes to allow one to crop the 1x camera to
    match the 2x camera would be twice height x twice width or 4 times the
    megapixes of camera 1. So for a 1 megapixel 1x camera, you could crop
    a 4 megapixed camera 2.

    So, if I am right 4MP x 2.5 effective zoom ratio = 4 x 2.5 * 2.5 = 25
    MP

    I'd go with the 10x zoom assuming it makes good images.

    Wes

    --
    Reply to:
    Lycos address is a spam trap.

    , Mar 9, 2005
  5. M-M Guest

    In article <l_CXd.3064$>,
    "Joseph Meehan" <> wrote:

    > Eagles, in the wild are going to take more than you are even
    > close to. Plan on some really expensive equipment. I would suggest that
    > 10-20,000 dollars might do it.

    Wait just one minute. This eagle was taken with a $200.00 spotting
    scope. Of course it's not National Geographic quality but quite worthy
    of a frame:

    http://www.mhmyers.com/cdjpgs/eagle1L.jpg

    m-m

    M-M, Mar 9, 2005
  6. Darrell Guest

    "Joseph Meehan" <> wrote in message
    > wrote:
    > > Ok, I am looking at two cameras. They will be primarily for outdoor
    > > shooting of landscapes, wildlife etc. This is just for personal
    > > enjoyment.
    > >
    > > The cameras:
    > >
    > > Fuji e550 6 MP 4x zoom
    > > Fuji s5100 4 MP 10x zoom

    > Let's look at the facts. First totally ignore any reference to

    digital
    > zoom. Only optical zoom counts. I just checked and it appears the 5100
    > does have optical 10X.
    >
    > That leaves a couple of questions however.
    >
    > You asked about two totally different situations. Eagles and
    > landscapes. Eagles, in the wild are going to take more than you are even
    > close to. Plan on some really expensive equipment. I would suggest that
    > 10-20,000 dollars might do it. I just don't want you to be disappointed.
    > What you are looking at can take some very fine photos and you may even be
    > able to get some good wildlife photos if you are good at getting yourself
    > close to the wildlife.
    >
    > The other end Landscapes generally calls for the opposite end where

    you
    > want not telephotos lenses, but wide angle. Consider looking out over the
    > Grand Canyon. Is the excitement seeing that one tree on the far side, or

    is
    > it seeing all of the great vista from side to side top to bottom as wide

    as
    > your eye can see.
    >
    > So what exactly is a 10X zoom? Well it is not the same 10X that a

    pair
    > of 10X binoculars will give you. The binoculars will make the image look

    10
    > times bigger, but a 10X zoom, who knows. What the 10X zoom means is the
    > telephoto end will look ten times closer than the wide end. But without
    > knowing where the wide end is or the telephoto end is, you know nothing.

    If
    > the zoom is bias towards the wide end the zoom any only be 2X normal That
    > would be great for your landscapes, but not so good for the eagle. If it
    > were bias towards the telephoto it might mean the eagle may be 5X normal

    or
    > about the equivalent of a 250mm lens on a standard 35mm, far from the

    1,000
    > mm plus that would normally be considered the starting point for that kind
    > of photography.

    Finepix S5100: Fujinon 10x optical zoom (37-370mm equiv.) close to a 7x
    binocular in "pull"
    Finepix E550: Wide angle 4x optical zoom lens (32.5mm - 130mm equiv.)

    You points are well made, I thought I would add the specs.

    Darrell, Mar 9, 2005
  7. Guest

    wrote:

    >On the 1x camera an object is from bottom of frame to midpoint of
    >frame, at 2x the same object is from bottom of frame to top of frame.
    >So, the number of megapixes to allow one to crop the 1x camera to
    >match the 2x camera would be twice height x twice width or 4 times the
    >megapixes of camera 1. So for a 1 megapixel 1x camera, you could crop
    >a 4 megapixed camera 2.

    Darn, blew this.

    So for a 4 megapixel 1x camera, you could crop
    >a 1 megapixed camera 2.

    I hope I got it right this time.

    Wes

    --
    Reply to:
    Lycos address is a spam trap.

    , Mar 9, 2005
  8. Hi,

    If it is of any help, I was recently at Singapore zoo where they have three
    gorgeous white Tigers. I would have given anything to have had a bigger
    optical zoom on my canon A95. I used the dreaded digital zoom, which I knew
    could never give me the quality I wanted, but had no other option to get
    bigger images, short of leaping over the barrier into the water which would
    have given me a cracking photo as the 3 Tigers were closing in! And if I
    had time I could throw the camera back to my partner so at least she could
    enjoy the picture. Not much use to me. Having said that, the digital zoom
    images were better than expected, at least at 6x4 in print size. So I know
    that they would have been brilliantly sharp with one of the 12x optical
    zoom cameras such as the Panasonic FZ20, which has the same number of Mp,
    but with a gem of a zoom lens, I believe.
    I'm torn between getting a FZ20 to prevent a similar occurance, or going
    down the Canon 20D route since with the latter I could also one day do some
    really close up macro work which I find interesting, with the ability of
    course to also stick on a 28-80mm (equiv) for landscapes and general
    photography. Problem is canon lenses are not cheap and only canon lenses
    can go on canon bodies, I think. So by the time you pay for that then a
    possible teleconvertor it's a fair wad of cash, but the quality would be
    there and would last a lifetime with options to add lenses bit by bit.
    It's a dilemma. If I could afford it I would do both since the Panasonic
    would be smaller (but not that much!) for use when you didn't want to carry
    around a lot.

    Mark

    mark.worthington, Mar 9, 2005
  9. justareader Guest

    On Wed, 09 Mar 2005 09:59:00 -0500, wrote:

    > wrote:
    >
    >>On the 1x camera an object is from bottom of frame to midpoint of
    >>frame, at 2x the same object is from bottom of frame to top of frame.
    >>So, the number of megapixes to allow one to crop the 1x camera to
    >>match the 2x camera would be twice height x twice width or 4 times the
    >>megapixes of camera 1. So for a 1 megapixel 1x camera, you could crop
    >>a 4 megapixed camera 2.

    >Darn, blew this.
    >
    >So for a 4 megapixel 1x camera, you could crop
    >>a 1 megapixed camera 2.

    >I hope I got it right this time.
    >
    >Wes

    I have shot osprey in the nest with a long lens but unless you are
    lucky all you will get is tail feathers hanging over the edge.

    Trying to pan a tight shot on an eagle in flight is almost impossible
    unless they are flying toward you or away from you in the open. You
    need all the pixels you can get.

    justareader, Mar 9, 2005
  10. Jim Guest

    "Darrell" <dev/null> wrote in message

    > Finepix S5100: Fujinon 10x optical zoom (37-370mm equiv.) close to a 7x
    > binocular in "pull"
    > Finepix E550: Wide angle 4x optical zoom lens (32.5mm - 130mm equiv.)
    >
    > You points are well made, I thought I would add the specs.

    The OP will find that the S5100 is not quite enough of a telephoto for
    animals such as bear, elk, moose, or deer. In fact, the OP could easily get
    into trouble by getting too close.
    The OP will find that the E550 is not quite enough of a wideangle. My best
    shots have come from using a 24mm lens.
    Jim

    Jim, Mar 9, 2005
  11. KenJr Guest

    In article <>,
    says...
    > Ok, I am looking at two cameras. They will be primarily for outdoor
    > shooting of landscapes, wildlife etc. This is just for personal
    > enjoyment.
    >
    > The cameras:
    >
    > Fuji e550 6 MP 4x zoom
    > Fuji s5100 4 MP 10x zoom
    >
    > One camera has the longer zoom, one has higher megapixels. For shots of
    > eagles, elk etc, and landscapes, which camera will suit my purposes
    > better?

    I'd go with the S5100 because of the zoom. I don't know what you want to
    spend but some other cameras with long zoom are:

    Kodak DX7590 5MP 10x zoom ~$500
    Kodak DX6490 4MP 10x zoom ~$300
    Panasonic DMC-FZ20 5MP 12x zoom ~$600

    I have to agree with others here, don't look at digital zoom when making
    your mind as to which camera to buy. It tends to make pictures look
    "grainy".

    I disagree with some as far as more MP is better. If your not going to
    be printing anything bigger than 8 1/2 x 11 then 4MP is enough. I'm sure
    that there are those who disagree, but make up your own mind. Download
    sample images from Stevesdigicams for the cameras your interested in and
    print them out.

    KenJr, Mar 9, 2005
  12. wrote:
    > Ok, I am looking at two cameras. They will be primarily for outdoor
    > shooting of landscapes, wildlife etc. This is just for personal
    > enjoyment.
    >
    > The cameras:
    >
    > Fuji e550 6 MP 4x zoom
    > Fuji s5100 4 MP 10x zoom
    >
    > One camera has the longer zoom, one has higher megapixels. For shots of
    > eagles, elk etc, and landscapes, which camera will suit my purposes
    > better?

    In my opinion, neither of these cameras is good for wildlife,
    especially birds. In general, you need 500mm and longer
    in 35mm equivalent for wildlife. Moving wildlife need
    fast shutter speeds too. Fast shutter speeds requires
    fast telephoto lenses, and often high iso. Consumer
    P&S cameras with their small pixels fail badly in this
    regard. See:

    http://www.clarkvision.com/imagedetail/does.pixel.size.matter

    The second thing is that P&S cameras generally have long
    shutter lag, making wildlife pictures very difficult.

    You would be better off with a DSLR, which you can add
    lenses to as your budget permits. DSLRs have the fastest
    autofocus speeds and lowest shutter lags of digital
    cameras (and some models even outperform film cameras).

    Here are some eagle and other bird pictures:

    http://www.clarkvision.com/galleries/gallery.bird/index.html

    Four eagle pics are with 700mm focal length (500mm f/4 L IS lens + 1.4x TC),
    the last was 300mm f/5.6 consumer zoom lens and not as sharp and
    the eagle is not as large in the frame. See the other bird
    photos for other focal lengths, f/ratios, shutter speeds,
    and ISO's used.

    Roger

    Roger N. Clark (change username to rnclark), Mar 10, 2005
  13. Guest

    thx for the detailed reply Roger but this is more for fun at this
    point. I may not or may choose to upgrade to a DLR later on with a
    higher end tele lense.

    I managed to ger a few decent wildlife pics with a Fuji s3000 4mp 6x
    optical for the past couple of years.

    Your shots are really nice by the way. Nice work.

    , Mar 10, 2005
  14. Mark² Guest

    <> wrote in message
    > Ok, I am looking at two cameras. They will be primarily for outdoor
    > shooting of landscapes, wildlife etc. This is just for personal
    > enjoyment.
    >
    > The cameras:
    >
    > Fuji e550 6 MP 4x zoom
    > Fuji s5100 4 MP 10x zoom
    >
    > One camera has the longer zoom, one has higher megapixels. For shots of
    > eagles, elk etc, and landscapes, which camera will suit my purposes
    > better? I read a review at Stevesdigicams which states the digital zoom
    > on the e550 actual does not hurt image quality at all, which is
    > interesting. The review said you could get another 1.4x at 6 megapixel
    > mode, giving the camera an actual zoom of 5.4x.
    >
    > So lets say you have captured an eagle with both the e550 and the
    > s5100. Would I in effect be able to get as good of a picture as the
    > s5100 by digitally zooming into the photo I took on the e550 in
    > Photoshop? Would the 6 megapixel clarity of the e550 allow me to zoom
    > in and get as nice of a shot as a 10x zoom 4 megapixel?
    >
    > Thanks for any help, hints, etc.

    You need to know what the maximum aperture will be when shooting at the 10X tele end of
    that lens.
    In most cases, this means you're shooting with a tiny aperture...meaning you need slow
    shutter speeds...meaning animal motion blur is going to disappoint you.

    If the maximum aperture is smaller than 5.6 (a bigger number means a smaller aperture),
    then you'll have to shoot in fairly bright light to freexze motion...and bright light is
    NOT the best time to find/shoot wild-life.

    A lower-res, but SHARP image will beat a high res, but BLURRY image (due to slow shutter)
    every time.

    Mark², Mar 10, 2005
  15. meow Guest

    I just got back from a vacation in New Mexico where I took a lot of
    mountain pictures. I was using a Canon S100 2x zoom. 1st problem I had was
    most of the pictures of the mountains were too far away, because even at 2x
    optical zoom the image was not the same size as the eye sees it. In my 35mm
    camera about 55mm is about normal size as my eye see it. So things looked
    further away in the picture then with my necked eye. Which resulted in me
    having to crop the image with software to get the picture I originally
    wanted which cost resolution.
    So for the scenes I think you would want both optical zoom to get the image
    close to the picture as you see it and pixels so if you crop you still get a
    decent amount of resolution to print and see the objects you were
    photographing. Based on that I bought an E550. The 4x zoom although Fuji
    says its equivalent to a 130mm 35mm equivalent lens only looks about the
    same to me as my 35mm cameras 55mm lens. In other words, if I look through
    the view finder zoomed 4x and look at the scene just above the eye piece the
    distance looks about the same. However I can crop the picture using the 6mp
    without loosing much resolution. You can also use the multiple shot trick.
    Using 4x zoom shoot 2 or 4 slightly overlapping pictures, which gives you a
    very wide angle and combine them with software to get a high MP wide angle
    finished shot.
    The 2nd thing is that the E550 can take an optional Telephoto converter
    lens and wide angle converter. I don't know about the S5100

    meow, Mar 10, 2005
  16. meow Guest

    meow, Mar 10, 2005
  17. Paul Mitchum Guest

    <> wrote:

    > Ok, I am looking at two cameras. They will be primarily for outdoor
    > shooting of landscapes, wildlife etc. This is just for personal
    > enjoyment.
    >
    > The cameras:
    >
    > Fuji e550 6 MP 4x zoom
    > Fuji s5100 4 MP 10x zoom
    >
    > One camera has the longer zoom, one has higher megapixels. For shots of
    > eagles, elk etc, and landscapes, which camera will suit my purposes
    > better?

    If you're shooting wildlife, your primary concern is focal length. A 4MP
    image filled with an eagle is much better than a 6MP image with a tiny
    dot that might be an eagle. The s5100 is said to have a max zoom that
    works out to be something like 370mm in 35mm parlance. The e550 maxes
    out at 130mm, which might fill the frame with blue jays on your back
    deck, if you're lucky. :)

    If the goal is to shoot wildlife, the s5100 wins this round, but results
    will still be mixed.

    Go down to Best Buy or wherever, and try focussing their demo cameras on
    eagle-sized objects at the other end of the store. You'll figure it out
    quick. :)

    Paul Mitchum, Mar 10, 2005
  18. Guest

    the review at stevesdigicams.com on the e550 states the digital zoom
    actuall works without losing image quality, giving you and extra 1.4 at
    6 megapixels, and an extra 2x at 3 megapixels:

    " usually advise against the use of digital zoom, but the Fuji E550's
    is effective. To use it, set the camera to record at less than full
    resolution; digital zoom essentially performs an in-camera crop without
    degrading image quality, digitally zooming up to 1.4x for 6-megapixel
    images, 2x for 3-megapixel, 2.5x for 2-megapixels, or 6.3x at 640x480
    resolution. If you need more magnification than the 130mm telephoto
    offers, and don't require the full 12-megapixel resolution for those
    shots, the E550's digital zoom is worth using. "

    This is interesting since I really enjoyed using a Fuji s3000 3MP 6x
    zoom camera in Glacier National Park the last couple years. I had alot
    of fun with the 6x zom and would feel strange not having that option
    again. So getting 5.4x at 6 MP with no image quality loss in the e550
    is a real bonus IMHO. Then I saw this tele lense for sale that seemed
    to get good remarks, any opinons?

    https://emporium.olympus.com/innards/empProdDetails.asp?sku=103898-410

    Supposedly this will make the e550 around 245mm.

    , Mar 11, 2005
  19. Ohsojourner Guest

    I pretty much have the same question, except I'm tempted to get one of
    the cameras 6 megapixels and over for possible larger prints. The
    Olympus EVolt C-300 (or comparable model) sounds like it might be a
    possibility. However, I'm not looking to spend a fortune on a camera
    at this point, and, of course, I know there are probably additional
    hidden costs (such as needing larger memory cards) for the larger file
    size. These new DSLRs also allow for interchangeable lenses. What
    would be the ideal lenses to use for wildlife and landscape shots?

    Also, can USB flash memory storage devices be used in place of memory
    cards? Say I'm outdoors away from my computer, on the road, and plan
    to take a bunch of pictures. Some of the larger memory cards are as
    expensive as the cameras, while flash memory storage is much less so.
    What's the difference? Any shortcuts to having to buy a $500 memory
    card (e.g. using an iPod maybe, or a laptop with car adaptor?)

    Ohsojourner, Mar 11, 2005
  20. meow Guest

    How do you figure that lens fits the Fuji E550? Its for an Olympus.

    meow, Mar 11, 2005