    trick being pushed by microshaft?

    First time I've ever run across this crap.
    Anyone know what the scoop is on this shit?
    confused, May 22, 2009

  2. confused

    Evan Platt Guest

    On 22 May 2009 06:47:00 -0700, confused <>
    wrote:

    >WTF is this bullshit?
    >In an adult newsgroup I just downloaded a video using agent and launched it.
    >Both real player and WMP wants to connect for "media usage rights"?
    >Is this bullshit being done by the posters of the video or is this some new shit
    >trick being pushed by microshaft?
    >
    >First time I've ever run across this crap.
    >Anyone know what the scoop is on this shit?

    From a google search for media usage rights:

    http://www.techsupportforum.com/mic...rt/209702-media-usage-rights-acquisition.html

    And

    http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/Windows/en-US/help/7e241b1f-1019-43c1-868d-cafc718d16011033.mspx
    should get you started.
    Evan Platt, May 22, 2009

  3. Hello,

    Most probably it is ''...being done by the posters of the video ..'

    Sometimes the licence may be free, then you just need to obtain it through
    the web.
    ___
    http://www.tompangbuddy.com
    Share Cab, Carpool and Save Earth in Singapore
    Video Conversion Service VHS Video8 Hi8 miniDv Digital8 VHS-C S-VHS tapes to
    VCD/DVD

    TompangBuddy.Com, May 22, 2009
  4. confused

    richard Guest

    wrote:

    >WTF is this bullshit?
    >In an adult newsgroup I just downloaded a video using agent and launched it.
    >Both real player and WMP wants to connect for "media usage rights"?
    >Is this bullshit being done by the posters of the video or is this some new shit
    >trick being pushed by microshaft?
    >
    >First time I've ever run across this crap.
    >Anyone know what the scoop is on this shit?

    Yet another attempt by the microsoft legal department to appease the
    RIAA and MPAA gods. Since DRM came about, any attempt in using the
    WMV/WMA formats, causes this action to take place if the uneducated
    user thereof, did not turn off the "rights" before production.

    In my personal puny little opinion, this action by M$ violates the
    copyright laws of the USA. M$ claims that YOU need a license to hear
    music or watch a video. Not in accordance with the copyright laws.

    The copyright laws clearly state that as long as you purchased, or
    obtained, the item legally, you have an unlimited license to use that
    item at your discretion for as long as you want, as many times as you
    want.

    When you go to buy a book or check one out from the local library, are
    you required to purchase a license that limits your use of that book?
    No you are not.

    Let's say you are in a high school band and your band plays some Bach
    or Beethoven music which is then recorded using the WMA format. M$
    will insist that you are required to have a license to do this. Well
    excuse me Mr. Gates, but you can't license something that isn't even
    copyrighted.

    DRM and "MUR" is a crock of shit and should be shot down by the courts
    of the United States.

    In my experiences, trying to get a license has been futile. I haven't
    been able to get one yet online.
    richard, May 22, 2009
  5. confused

    Jordon Guest

    richard wrote:

    > When you go to buy a book or check one out from the local library, are
    > you required to purchase a license that limits your use of that book?
    > No you are not.

    But when you steal the book from the book store or the
    library, you go to jail.

    > Let's say you are in a high school band and your band plays some Bach
    > or Beethoven music which is then recorded using the WMA format. M$
    > will insist that you are required to have a license to do this. Well
    > excuse me Mr. Gates, but you can't license something that isn't even
    > copyrighted.

    So you think that when a performer goes to the effort and
    expense to record a cover that's in the public domain, that
    it should be free? Why would anyone ever record covers?

    Everyone has the right to make a product and sell it for
    whatever they want to. And you have the right to buy it or
    not.

    Come up with a better system or shut your pie hole.

    --
    Jordon
    Jordon, May 22, 2009
  6. confused

    Justin Guest

    Jordon wrote:
    > richard wrote:
    >
    >> When you go to buy a book or check one out from the local library, are
    >> you required to purchase a license that limits your use of that book?
    >> No you are not.

    > But when you steal the book from the book store or the
    > library, you go to jail.
    >
    > > Let's say you are in a high school band and your band plays some Bach
    > > or Beethoven music which is then recorded using the WMA format. M$
    > > will insist that you are required to have a license to do this. Well
    > > excuse me Mr. Gates, but you can't license something that isn't even
    > > copyrighted.

    > So you think that when a performer goes to the effort and
    > expense to record a cover that's in the public domain, that
    > it should be free? Why would anyone ever record covers?
    >
    > Everyone has the right to make a product and sell it for
    > whatever they want to. And you have the right to buy it or
    > not.
    >
    > Come up with a better system or shut your pie hole.

    I got it!
    How about when you buy something, you buy it and have a right to do what
    I want with it?
    Nah, that makes too much sense. I think all the major car companies
    should adopt the same system as DRM and MUR. When you purchase car you
    should have to slide your credit card though so you have a right to
    drive it to the store.
    Apparently by your definition because one purchased it one doesn't have
    the license to use it.
    Justin, May 22, 2009
  7. confused

    Justin Guest

    confused wrote:
    > WTF is this bullshit?
    > In an adult newsgroup I just downloaded a video using agent and launched it.
    > Both real player and WMP wants to connect for "media usage rights"?
    > Is this bullshit being done by the posters of the video or is this some new shit
    > trick being pushed by microshaft?
    >
    > First time I've ever run across this crap.
    > Anyone know what the scoop is on this shit?

    Easily hackable - you just have to know where to look.
    No I won't tell you where to look.
    Justin, May 22, 2009
  8. confused

    VanguardLH Guest

    confused wrote:

    > WTF is this bullshit?
    > In an adult newsgroup I just downloaded a video using agent and launched it.
    > Both real player and WMP wants to connect for "media usage rights"?
    > Is this bullshit being done by the posters of the video or is this some new shit
    > trick being pushed by microshaft?
    >
    > First time I've ever run across this crap.
    > Anyone know what the scoop is on this shit?

    Don't know about RealPlayer. Haven't used it in many years. For WMP,
    and for security reasons, make sure you disable all its Internet access
    options (Privacy tab in its options). Maybe you did that and that is
    why you now get a prompt asking to check if you have permission to view
    the digital content.

    Never heard of DRM (Digital Rights Management)? Microsoft has been
    embracing that for years. See:

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_rights_management
    http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windowsmedia/forpros/DRM/FAQ.aspx

    It means someone illegally uploaded a video of a movie (gee, like that
    never happens, uh huh) that uses DRM to restrict who can view the
    digital content. My guess is the player sees DRM is used in the video
    and is trying to contact a server to validate you have permission to
    view it because a license for it wasn't installed on your host.

    Move on to the next porn video. Or go to the porn site from where the
    other user stole it. Or Google around to see if something lets you
    circumvent whatever DRM scheme is employed by that particular digital
    content.
    VanguardLH, May 22, 2009
  9. confused

    Jordon Guest

    Justin wrote:
    > Jordon wrote:
    >> But when you steal the book from the book store or the
    >> library, you go to jail.
    >>
    >> So you think that when a performer goes to the effort and
    >> expense to record a cover that's in the public domain, that
    >> it should be free? Why would anyone ever record covers?
    >>
    >> Everyone has the right to make a product and sell it for
    >> whatever they want to. And you have the right to buy it or
    >> not.
    >>
    >> Come up with a better system or shut your pie hole.

    > I got it!
    > How about when you buy something, you buy it and have a right to do what
    > I want with it?
    > Nah, that makes too much sense. I think all the major car companies
    > should adopt the same system as DRM and MUR. When you purchase car you
    > should have to slide your credit card though so you have a right to
    > drive it to the store.
    > Apparently by your definition because one purchased it one doesn't have
    > the license to use it.

    I don't understand the analogy. I never said the system was
    perfect. I just pointed out that braindead's analogy was,
    well, brain dead.

    Is being a musician a legitimate profession? Should they
    give their music away for free? If so, what would motivate
    talented people to create art? If not, how would you propose
    they get paid? What's your solution?

    --
    Jordon
    Jordon, May 22, 2009
  10. richard wrote:

    > Yet another attempt by the microsoft legal department to appease the
    > RIAA and MPAA gods. Since DRM came about, any attempt in using the
    > WMV/WMA formats, causes this action to take place if the uneducated
    > user thereof, did not turn off the "rights" before production.
    >
    > In my personal puny little opinion, this action by M$ violates the
    > copyright laws of the USA. M$ claims that YOU need a license to hear
    > music or watch a video. Not in accordance with the copyright laws.

    It all depends upon the contract you signed when "buying" the license tied
    to the (physical or not) product.
    What, you couldn't read the smallprint or got it with the already bought
    product? That would be a thing to discuss with your lawyer ... and at least
    (s)he will become a wealthy one *eg*.

    > The copyright laws clearly state that as long as you purchased, or
    > obtained, the item legally, you have an unlimited license to use that
    > item at your discretion for as long as you want, as many times as you
    > want.

    "Pay-per-view" or such schemes are illegal, then?

    > When you go to buy a book or check one out from the local library, are
    > you required to purchase a license that limits your use of that book?
    > No you are not.

    Not yet. But wait ... the electronic form of distribution will change that
    as well (talking about e-book readers becoming popular).

    > DRM and "MUR" is a crock of shit and should be shot down by the courts
    > of the United States.

    You buy the junk, you have the waste and the deposit fees as well. Stay with
    drm-free public domain formats like ogg.

    > In my experiences, trying to get a license has been futile. I haven't
    > been able to get one yet online.

    It's been a freebie download, so what ...
    wisdomkiller & pain, May 23, 2009

    wisdomkiller & pain, May 23, 2009