media state........................media disconnected

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by Illuzion, Feb 7, 2009.

  1. Illuzion

    Illuzion Guest

    Using a wired lan connection and also tried a wireless adapter to my router .
    On attempting to get an Advent 7801 laptop that was given to my son working
    correctly .
    It has no recovery partition nor recovery disk the OS is Windows XP Pro
    The problem is with the LAN card an SIS 900 Based PCI Fast Ethernet Adapter.
    on attempting to get online with no success and noting the Local Area
    Network A network cable is unplugged message I investigated further
    On trying IPCONFIG I see the message Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:
    Media State....................:media state disconnected
    IPCONFIG/RELEASE does not work
    IPCONFIG/ALL shows this
    Host name Jaffas-toy
    Primary DNS Suffix :
    Node Type.............:Broadcast
    IP Routing Enabled.............:No
    Wins Proxy Enabled............:No

    Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:
    Media State...............:Media dissconnected
    Description.................SIS 900-Based PCI Fast Ethernet Adapter
    Pysical Address.............00-12=2a=9d-71-e8
    with WINternals on checking the disk and networking options I find using
    IPCONFIG/ALL shows an IP 169.254.0.0
    Subnet Mask 255.255.0.0
    But unable to manually assign an IP Address
    The laptop will not use a wireless adapter for the same reasons as above it
    seems
    So Guys and Gals any clues would be very very much appreciated
    Am not allways online so any fixes if you might email me @

    In Advance Many Many thanks
    Illuzionz(Dennis)

    Illuzion, Feb 7, 2009

  2. Assuming both wireless and wired have the same problem, make sure you have a
    good connection. For example, check the NIC light is on and green. Also make
    sure the wireless light is on too.

    --
    Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
    http://www.ChicagoTech.net

    Robert L. \(MS-MVP\), Feb 7, 2009

  3. Illuzion

    vmorris Guest

    Dennis: Did you get help in solving this? I have the same problem, I think.
    Have linksys router wrt54g and d-link 1320 adapter in one computer, and
    direct connex through router with the vista64. worked until i moved the
    d-link card to xp computer and direct connex of vista64 to router. Message
    says i have good connex, but i can't get online. checking many sources, but
    iconfig says 'media stte' disconnected. Where to go? Any help from your
    situation?

    vmorris, Feb 27, 2009