    become available? Any recommendations? Used only for video playback on TV.

    Ta!

    Nick

    NRENNIE, Mar 9, 2008

  2. NRENNIE

    Richard Guest

    NRENNIE wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > My Altech MG-350HD media player has finally received one knock too many and
    > has given up the ghost. Anyone know of any new types or models that have
    > become available? Any recommendations? Used only for video playback on TV.

    Im looking into getting the popcorn hour - they still have a few
    firmware issues to resolve but the hardware can do whats needed and they
    are promising a fix for the aspect problems so fingers crossed.

    Richard, Mar 9, 2008

  3. NRENNIE

    RL Guest

    Richard wrote:
    > NRENNIE wrote:
    >> Hi,
    >>
    >> My Altech MG-350HD media player has finally received one knock too
    >> many and has given up the ghost. Anyone know of any new types or
    >> models that have become available? Any recommendations? Used only
    >> for video playback on TV.

    > Im looking into getting the popcorn hour - they still have a few
    > firmware issues to resolve but the hardware can do whats needed and they
    > are promising a fix for the aspect problems so fingers crossed.

    The MediaGate is still the best solution I have found at present. The
    MG-350HD is still widely available, although you may be able to find the
    MG-350SHD now as well. It is just the SATA version of the MG-350HD, and
    may also have HDMI in place of DVI.

    The MG-450HD will be out later this year.

    I am personally interested in HTPC for my projects, rather than any of
    these all-in-one solutions. It may be a little more expensive, but I'm a
    forward-thinking person who will no doubt want to play full HD content
    on there soon enough.

    RL

    RL, Mar 9, 2008
  4. NRENNIE

    Craig Shore Guest

    On Sun, 9 Mar 2008 16:33:01 +1300, "NRENNIE" <>
    wrote:

    >Hi,
    >
    >My Altech MG-350HD media player has finally received one knock too many and
    >has given up the ghost. Anyone know of any new types or models that have
    >become available? Any recommendations? Used only for video playback on TV.

    I thought the DVico players looked really good and was considering
    getting one, but a couple of things put me off. The new one not here
    yet supports H.264, and none of them let you play from anywhere on
    your network, the files need to be shared from a specific folder.

    So i'm still moving my Zensonic (now called Ziova) between rooms - it
    just does network playing which is all I really need, and that also
    eliminates any HD noise - the thing has no fans and runs silent.

    Links
    http://www.tvix.co.kr/eng/
    http://www.ziova.com/
    http://www.tastech.co.nz/enclosures.htm
    http://www.ascent.co.nz/search.aspx?T1=dvico&D1=2101

    Craig Shore, Mar 9, 2008
  5. NRENNIE

    Nho Whei Guest

    wrote:

    >Hi,
    >
    >My Altech MG-350HD media player has finally received one knock too many and
    >has given up the ghost. Anyone know of any new types or models that have
    >become available? Any recommendations? Used only for video playback on TV.
    >

    >Ta!
    >
    >Nick

    This performs a similar function.....Linksys Media Extender DMA2100 at
    Dick Smith. Looks tempting

    Nho Whei, Mar 9, 2008
  6. NRENNIE

    J Brockley Guest

    "NRENNIE" <> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    >
    > My Altech MG-350HD media player has finally received one knock too many
    > and has given up the ghost. Anyone know of any new types or models that
    > have become available? Any recommendations? Used only for video playback
    > on TV.
    >

    > Ta!
    >
    > Nick

    Popcorn Hour NMT A-100 seems to get reasonable reviews but there's a waiting
    list.

    J Brockley, Mar 10, 2008