    interpreter (please excuse my ignorance in this matter) to effectively
    and reliably play all media types? If so, please recommend for both.

    Thanks

    slaphappy, Dec 20, 2003

  2. slaphappy

    slaphappy Guest

    slaphappy wrote:

    > Is it necessary to have both a media player and a separate codec
    > interpreter (please excuse my ignorance in this matter) to effectively
    > and reliably play all media types? If so, please recommend for both.
    >
    > Thanks

    Specific problem is that I cannot play avi on WMP.

    slaphappy, Dec 20, 2003

  3. slaphappy

    Richard Guest

    slaphappy wrote:

    > slaphappy wrote:

    >> Is it necessary to have both a media player and a separate codec
    >> interpreter (please excuse my ignorance in this matter) to effectively
    >> and reliably play all media types? If so, please recommend for both.
    >>
    >> Thanks

    > Specific problem is that I cannot play avi on WMP.

    www.divx.com

    Or obtain a viewer which will understand AVI's.
    The divx viewer has gone spyware so be careful with it.

    www.virtualdub.com
    virtualdub will play most avi's. As will "real player".

    If you still can't view the file, then you'll need to find the proper codec
    for it.
    A handy utility called gspot will get the information from the file and tell
    you what you need.
    You could also try using irfanview www.irfanview.com

    Richard, Dec 20, 2003
  4. slaphappy

    gangle Guest

    WMP will play all avis and mpgs if the appropriate codecs
    are installed on the computer. There are many different
    codecs used to compress avi files, the most common
    being a type of DivX. GSpot is a program that lets you
    drag a file into it so that you can determine the codec
    needed and whether it's on the computer.
    http://www.headbands.com/gspot/download.html

    gangle, Dec 21, 2003
  5. slaphappy

    Unk Guest

    On Sat, 20 Dec 2003 17:01:46 GMT, slaphappy <> wrote:

    >Is it necessary to have both a media player and a separate codec
    >interpreter (please excuse my ignorance in this matter) to effectively
    >and reliably play all media types? If so, please recommend for both.
    >
    >Thanks

    There are several types of avi files, each using a different codec.

    Codec resources:

    First, download "Gspot" to determine exactly which codec you need.
    http://www.headbands.com/gspot/

    DivX 3.11:
    http://www.divx-digest.com/software/divxcodec.html

    DivX 5.0.5
    http://www.divx.com/divx/

    MPEG2 Decoder Package
    http://www.elecard.com/download/

    http://video-codec.8m.com/codecs.htm

    http://www.xvid.org/
    http://www.xvidmovies.com/codec/

    Nimo pack.
    http://www.divx-digest.com/software/nimo_pack.html

    FFDSHOW.
    http://www.divx-digest.com/software/ffdshow.html

    Download the MS-MPEG-4v3 codec fix (Win9x/NT4)
    on: http://www.moviecodec.com/download/codecs.shtml

    Compression Codecs (Huge list)
    http://dshow.narod.ru/

    Download the K-Lite Codec pack. This contrains the most uptodate video and
    audio codecs.
    http://home.hccnet.nl/h.edskes/mirror.htm

    ACE Mega Codec Pack Professional Edition has practically every codec you
    need or ever wanted. As of 7/13/03, this contains the latest version of
    every codec including DivX and XviD. (Also has Gspot)
    http://www.click-now.net/downloads.htm

    http://abmefaq.net for all your Multimedia answers

    Unk, Dec 21, 2003