  1. If it is installed in X64 what may keep it from playing anything? I am told
    to update drivers, etc. I have updated it all. When I have tried to
    redownload the player it says it is not compatable with x64

    =?Utf-8?B?am9yb21v?=, Sep 3, 2005

  2. =?Utf-8?B?am9yb21v?=

    DKI Guest

    Reason WMP10 download will not work
    The Download version of WMP10 is for XP home and pro 32bit editions (which
    is not based on windows server 2003 SP1 like X64 is).

    WMP10 (which is in the X64 setup files) is encluded on XP Pro X64 (which is
    based on windows server 2003 SP1 and not XP),

    As to why its not playing anything any spefics or more information would
    allow other to help you

    DKI, Sep 3, 2005

  3. =?Utf-8?B?am9yb21v?=

    Rick Guest

    The 1st question is: Why did you install Media Player 10? This program
    is not for Win XP x64 - if you would read the information on the
    Microsoft web site, there is absolutely nothing about being for any
    64-bit system:

    System Requirements

    * Supported Operating Systems: Windows XP; Windows XP Professional
    Edition ; Windows XP Service Pack 1; Windows XP Service Pack 2

    Win XP Pro x64 is not listed in the "System Requirements"!

    So, why did you install it in Win x64????????????

    Rick, Sep 3, 2005
  4. Thankyou, In all of my reading, and reading, and reading I did not learn that
    bit of info. It, of course does not solve my problem but that info helps me
    in my understanding of it (I am trying to learn rather than just ask) As was
    suggested by our local "Pro" in XP PRO x64 suggested (with no other thoughts)
    in a previous response (2 days ago) to this I should just
    reinstall........Thankyou, I am most greatful for all who respond.l

    =?Utf-8?B?am9yb21v?=, Sep 4, 2005
  5. =?Utf-8?B?am9yb21v?=

    DKI Guest

    Maybe a reinstall might help or might not. hope it goes well

    DKI, Sep 4, 2005
  6. Hi Rick and thankyou for your question, it stimulates some communication and
    maybe some of the beginners here, like myself will gain a greater
    understanding of how this STUFF works from the inside out.......maybe.
    If one has spent as many hours and as many days reading here there and
    everywhere trying to fix the problems that I have (or that I have created
    myself)with Brother Charlie's x64 Baby, they would understand that, as Bro
    charlie R has stated here-to-for, well, somewhere here before and as others
    have mentioned "it comes installed with the program". But you are correct as
    far as I have read myself that you cannot download the player for and into
    x64. Yes I have tried to reinstall the player seperate to solve my problem
    and it tells me it (the 32 bit or x86 is, if I am correct (calling it x86) is
    not compatable with x64) [END of download and "go play with your x64 friends
    and leave the out of date OS to ourselves, we are happy to live and die as we
    are".]
    So, we are both right.....mostly........................(where is Charlie
    when you need him?)

    =?Utf-8?B?am9yb21v?=, Sep 4, 2005
  7. =?Utf-8?B?am9yb21v?=

    Al Edlund Guest

    why not start from the beginning?

    "If it is installed in X64 what may keep it from playing anything? " Does
    your system make any sounds? Can it play a .WAV file (Settings => Control
    Panel => Sounds)? Before getting into WMP the basics have to work.
    al

    Al Edlund, Sep 4, 2005
  8. I think Joromo is having some unknown codec issues.
    --
    Andre
    Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com

    Andre Da Costa, Sep 4, 2005
  9. =?Utf-8?B?am9yb21v?=

    Rick Guest

    Since MP 10 is a 32-bit program and Microsoft does not list x64 as an
    applicable program, Joromo's problem is that MP 10 is not x64 compatible.

    Rick, Sep 4, 2005
  10. No, MP10 is compatible, it's just that it's part of the OS, and thus can't
    be installed. It's already there!

    His problem is almost certainly audio drivers, but since he claims that
    can't be it, we can't help him. He needs to test at the most basic level --
    does he get windows startup sound, for example? And then work through the
    issues.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Sep 5, 2005
  11. Sorry Charlie, Not sure I "claimed" anything really. I am not the sharpest
    guy to ever own a computer. I have been tearing down old computers and trying
    to rebuild them for several years, learning from scratch (and doing a lot of
    scratching). I think it may be drivers also but I do not know how to fix the
    problem. .....Look bro. If I am not up to anyones level or worthy of
    assistence from anyone here I will stop asking. I have spent many days and
    many more hours trying to figuire this out myself by reading every thing I
    can find. I did not Post a question here untill I had spent many long days
    searching. I did not want to ask anyone here to help me before I tried
    myself.
    Of the hundreds of Q&A I have read, I found many that seemed simple to
    solve in my little experience but to those who asked, spending many hours of
    searching for the answers themselves or not they were stumped. Most of them
    were politely answered by those who cared to help. Sometimes they were told
    it had been answered many times already so "just go back and look it up".
    I MAY BE IGNORANT AND STUPID BUT I AM TRYING TO LEARN SOMETHING HERE. To
    those who were kind enough to suggest ideas, I thank you. Good, bad or wrong
    it is helpful to us all. IT MAKES ALL WHO READ IT THINK. THINKING SOLVES ALL
    PROBLEMS AND CHALLANGES. if we apply the ideas, right or wrong we eventually
    make it work........thankyou.
    This time I guess I should reinstall and hope i do not have the same
    problem....Ignorance is not bliss in this area, it is just
    frustraiting....But, "NEVER SAY DIE".,

    =?Utf-8?B?am9yb21v?=, Sep 5, 2005
  12. PS, NO SOUND, VIDEO, or STREAMING anytime from anywhere. Did I accidently
    deleate or fail to install the drivers when I installed the OS?

    =?Utf-8?B?am9yb21v?=, Sep 5, 2005
  13. Good, now we know what the problem is. It has nothing to do with Media
    Player, as I and others suspected.

    So, no sound. Let's start with what brand of computer or motherboard are we
    dealing with, and are you using its built in sound card, or are you using an
    add in sound card. If add in, which one? If not add in, but built in, do you
    know which chipset your sound uses?

    Good, now that we know that, we can point you at the necessary drivers, if
    they exist. They probably aren't included with the base OS, and therefore
    you didn't get them installed.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Sep 5, 2005
  14. no, it doesn't require shouting here. But it does require that we all keep
    the messages to the point and listen. Now, I see from your second message
    that we're actually narrowing down the problem. Good.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Sep 5, 2005
  15. =?Utf-8?B?am9yb21v?=

    John Barnes Guest

    The sound drivers should be on your MOBO CD and there is probably a newer
    version on the motherboard site if they are for the built in sound and on
    the soundcard site if they are Creative.

    John Barnes, Sep 6, 2005
  16. I guess the onboard sound card did not work or I did not set it up correctly.
    I tried to install my old Creative SBLive5.1 but there was a problem with the
    install or the correct drivers for x64, if they exist.
    I am greatful for all consiteration and help, the time given by all of
    you for your help, john (joromo)

    =?Utf-8?B?am9yb21v?=, Sep 7, 2005
  17. which mobo are we dealing with here?

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Sep 7, 2005
  18. Sorry, I gave whole system in an earlier post trying to deal with this, I
    should have said here:
    A8N-SLI DELUXE

    john

    =?Utf-8?B?am9yb21v?=, Sep 7, 2005
  19. =?Utf-8?B?am9yb21v?=

    John Barnes Guest

    Hi Charlie - have you noticed how many problems happen on the ASUS A8N-SLI
    series?

    John Barnes, Sep 7, 2005
  20. yes, I have. :( Makes me really glad I'm on the A8V.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Sep 7, 2005