    luminos Guest

    In your direct experience, what DVD-R or DVD+R media have worked well with
    the A07 at 8x?
    luminos, Jan 22, 2004

  2. luminos

    will Guest

    On Thu, 22 Jan 2004 08:46:51 GMT, "luminos" <> wrote:

    >In your direct experience, what DVD-R or DVD+R media have worked well with
    >the A07 at 8x?

    dvd-r 8x and dvd+r 8x rated media.
    dvd+r 8x is already out and about. dvd-r 8x media is out next month
    here in Australia.

    Does anyone know if the a08 will burn to dvd-ram media when it comes
    out later this year?
    will, Jan 22, 2004

  3. > >In your direct experience, what DVD-R or DVD+R media have worked well
    with
    > >the A07 at 8x?

    > dvd-r 8x and dvd+r 8x rated media.
    > dvd+r 8x is already out and about. dvd-r 8x media is out next month
    > here in Australia.
    >
    > Does anyone know if the a08 will burn to dvd-ram media when it comes
    > out later this year?

    I thought the A08 was pencilled for Dual Layer DVD-R support with similar
    spec's to the A107 drive otherwise.
    Alan Shepherd, Jan 22, 2004
  4. luminos

    will Guest

    On Thu, 22 Jan 2004 20:44:25 -0000, "Alan Shepherd"
    <> wrote:

    >> >In your direct experience, what DVD-R or DVD+R media have worked well

    >with
    >> >the A07 at 8x?

    >> dvd-r 8x and dvd+r 8x rated media.
    >> dvd+r 8x is already out and about. dvd-r 8x media is out next month
    >> here in Australia.
    >>
    >> Does anyone know if the a08 will burn to dvd-ram media when it comes
    >> out later this year?

    >I thought the A08 was pencilled for Dual Layer DVD-R support with similar
    >spec's to the A107 drive otherwise.

    A08 is for 16x burning and the rumor is maybe dvd-ram burning to be
    added. Read the a07 was just to read dvd-ram and they wanted to get
    that right before adding burning to dvd-ram.

    The A09 will most likely be blue laser 36gb media but that's for next
    year. I'm buying the A07 next week and will sell my current A06 which
    will pay for my A07.

    I seriously doubt we'll see a dual layer media been made so can't see
    dual layer drives coming out any time soon. That's more a rumour like
    the A08 and what it may or may not do.
    will, Jan 23, 2004
  5. will wrote:
    > Does anyone know if the a08 will burn to dvd-ram media when it comes
    > out later this year?

    Dual layer burning to 9.4 GB discs is way more interesting .
    Apparently, Pioneer showed the existing A06 burning dual
    layers with only a firmware upgrade.
    Gints Klimanis, Jan 24, 2004
  6. luminos

    luminos Guest

    "Gints Klimanis" <> wrote in message
    > will wrote:
    > > Does anyone know if the a08 will burn to dvd-ram media when it comes
    > > out later this year?

    > Dual layer burning to 9.4 GB discs is way more interesting .
    > Apparently, Pioneer showed the existing A06 burning dual
    > layers with only a firmware upgrade.

    Document at once.
    luminos, Jan 24, 2004
  7. Wait - you are saying my A06 could burn Dual Layer with a simple
    firmware upgrade?

    Do you have any details on this? Is there any dual layer media
    out there yet?

    Paul D. Sullivan, Jan 24, 2004
  8. luminos

    will Guest

    On Sat, 24 Jan 2004 10:22:06 GMT, "Paul D. Sullivan"
    <> wrote:

    >Wait - you are saying my A06 could burn Dual Layer with a simple
    >firmware upgrade?

    Las Vegas CES Jan 8 to 11 documented this.
    The problem is no one has plans for dual layer media so really quite
    pointless.

    And if dual layer media was to ever be made expect to pay about 10
    fold on what your currently buying.

    will, Jan 24, 2004
  9. On Sat, 24 Jan 2004 12:48:20 GMT, (will) wrote:

    >On Sat, 24 Jan 2004 10:22:06 GMT, "Paul D. Sullivan"
    ><> wrote:
    >
    >>Wait - you are saying my A06 could burn Dual Layer with a simple
    >>firmware upgrade?

    I don't want to say "I told you so" but in November I wrote in this
    newsgroup that late burners, particularly the A06 and A07, could
    probably be programmed to write dual-layer, and described in technical
    terms why, ... and absolutely everybody disagreed with me. - .though
    I predicted that +RW would come first, not -RW. Here's the Google
    thread

    http://www.google.ca/groups?hl=en&l...dm=

    -excerpts..

    ------------------------------

    >> >you'll find that it is the wavelength that is different to burn each layer
    >> >otherwise you'd end up corrupting the layer that you're not recording to

    >> Why not read the Philips press release? A laser can not change
    >> wavelength, or colour. It's focus, and the different reflectivity of
    >> the two layers that allows dual layer DVD+R recording. DVD-R dual
    >> layer may requiree "polarized lasers" but I have no idea what that
    >> means.
    >>
    >> . Steve .
    >> >

    >I bet you'll need a new burners. No way in hell that any manufacturers would
    >waste time twisting the firmware, (only if it's feasible), but not selling
    >you a new one. I myself would skip this thingy and wait for Blu-ray and HD
    >DVD to be standardized. The incremental benefit of SD dual layer DVD burner
    >isn't worth the trouble and cost of the burner and media.

    "The point is that as an intellectual exercise it may be possible for
    a reprogrammed Bios to allow certain recorders,such as the Pioneer A06
    and A07, to burn dual-layer. If it's software or a hack then it'll
    probably happen. and any reading of the tech information and an
    understanding of the method or recording dual-layer DVD+R and
    appreciation of the need for backwards compatability with dual layer
    and the DVD+R standards will show that there isn't any significant
    difference in the laser requirements. As I say, read the releases
    about the new standard."

    . Steve .

    . Steve ...

    Steve(JazzHunter), Jan 24, 2004
  10. luminos

    will Guest

    On Sat, 24 Jan 2004 08:50:16 -0500, "Steve(JazzHunter)"
    <> wrote:

    >On Sat, 24 Jan 2004 12:48:20 GMT, (will) wrote:
    >
    >>On Sat, 24 Jan 2004 10:22:06 GMT, "Paul D. Sullivan"
    >><> wrote:
    >>
    >>>Wait - you are saying my A06 could burn Dual Layer with a simple
    >>>firmware upgrade?

    >I don't want to say "I told you so" but in November I wrote in this
    >newsgroup that late burners, particularly the A06 and A07, could
    >probably be programmed to write dual-layer, and described in technical
    >terms why, ... and absolutely everybody disagreed with me. - .though
    >I predicted that +RW would come first, not -RW. Here's the Google
    >thread

    All irerelevent if dual media isn't going to be made.
    Ritek are not even going to bother with dual layer media. The show in
    Las Vegas had Ritek show casing blue laser media as the next big
    thing.

    Pioneer goes on what the DVD Forum goes by and the DVD forum has
    passed Blue Laser which is going to be in the Pioneer A09's for late
    2004 or 2005.

    will, Jan 24, 2004
  11. luminos

    AnthonyR Guest

    "will" <> wrote in message

    > Pioneer goes on what the DVD Forum goes by and the DVD forum has
    > passed Blue Laser which is going to be in the Pioneer A09's for late
    > 2004 or 2005.

    Will, can you explain to me what you meant in this sentence cause i read it
    a few times
    and don't understand what you are trying to say.
    Thanks,

    AnthonyR.
    AnthonyR, Jan 24, 2004
  12. luminos

    luminos Guest

    "Steve(JazzHunter)" <> wrote in message
    > On Sat, 24 Jan 2004 12:48:20 GMT, (will) wrote:
    >
    > >On Sat, 24 Jan 2004 10:22:06 GMT, "Paul D. Sullivan"
    > ><> wrote:
    > >
    > >>Wait - you are saying my A06 could burn Dual Layer with a simple
    > >>firmware upgrade?

    ...and absolutely everybody disagreed with me. - .

    Not quite true...I wrote: "Excellent explanation of a possibility. I
    suspect there will be few drives
    that meet all the variable constraints you indicate."
    luminos, Jan 24, 2004
  13. luminos

    luminos Guest

    "AnthonyR" <> wrote in message

    > "will" <> wrote in message
    > >
    > > Pioneer goes on what the DVD Forum goes by and the DVD forum has
    > > passed Blue Laser which is going to be in the Pioneer A09's for late
    > > 2004 or 2005.
    > >

    > Will, can you explain to me what you meant in this sentence cause i read

    it
    > a few times
    > and don't understand what you are trying to say.
    > Thanks,
    >
    > AnthonyR.

    It is perfectly clear.
    luminos, Jan 24, 2004
  14. luminos

    luminos Guest

    PS re dual layer --

    Not only will the media likely be magnitudes more expensive than current
    4-8x DVDR, the spec I read
    indicated maximum 2x writing speed, recommended 1x.

    luminos, Jan 24, 2004
  15. On Sat, 24 Jan 2004 22:17:29 GMT, "luminos" <> wrote:

    >PS re dual layer --
    >
    >Not only will the media likely be magnitudes more expensive than current
    >4-8x DVDR, the spec I read
    >indicated maximum 2x writing speed, recommended 1x.

    True, with all the different layer compositions and complexity of
    construction, still I DO think dual-layer media will be made, this is
    nothng to do with the blu-ray consortium, as another fellow was trying
    to say.

    >"luminos" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> "Steve(JazzHunter)" <> wrote in message

    >> ..and absolutely everybody disagreed with me. - .
    >>
    >> Not quite true...I wrote: "Excellent explanation of a possibility. I
    >> suspect there will be few drives
    >> that meet all the variable constraints you indicate."

    True enough also, still the ball was started rolling... <g> The A06
    and A07 would be capable of dual-layer burning simply because the
    laser is strong enough and the focus servo is adequately sensitive, I
    was trying to debunk the claim that the lasers had to be "different
    frequencies" though it does look like polarization would be needed for
    +rw, I don't know, we'll see..

    Of course it is obvious why the firmware for dual-layer on legacy
    recorders would be offered free by Pioneer and Plextor.

    . Steve .

    Steve(JazzHunter), Jan 25, 2004
  16. It actually would have to do with the blu-ray, though.

    If in late 2004 or early 2005 blu-ray comes out with 20gb discs and there
    are enough players and stuff for this format, why bother developing a 9.4gb
    disc if it is going to be released any later than early 2005?

    releasing a 9.4gb disc right after a 20gb disc?

    last check, the 20gb blu-ray is out and costs about $1500 to have the
    recorder. if this can drop down to something like a powerful video card,
    maybe $350-$400, then it will gain momentum, even if the discs are like
    $5-$10/each.

    i kind of hope that 9.4gb dual layer recordables come out soon, though.
    sure as heck would drop the price on the 4x 4.7gb media! and if only my 4x
    dual format could be upgraded....the possibilities!

    oh, yes, and i also read something that said that in order to properly write
    onto dual layer media, if you record say just 6gb, you would actually have
    to burn 3gb on the 1st layer, then burn 3gb on the 2nd layer. i forgot why,
    exactly, but im sure it has to do with something about how they are read
    back, so like if you could record 4.38gb on 1st layer, then 2.62gb on the
    2nd layer, where it stops reading the 2nd layer isnt where the 1st layer
    will begin, so it crashes or something crazy like that.

    that seems like something that would be rather difficult to write into the
    firmware, and burning software, which naturally leads me to ask how much
    modifying of software would be necessary to support a dual-layer recordable
    format?

    and just why wouldn't a 4x drive be able to write to dual layer? it sure as
    **** can read dual layer.... if it is too weak of a laser, would burning at
    1x help in any way? to write 9.4gb at 1x would take a long time, i've
    calculated it to about 2 hours. im not going to sit around waiting 2 hours
    to burn one 9.4gb dvd, when in that time i could burn eight 4.7gb dvds at
    4x, or even better about a dozen 4.7gb dvds at 8x (what with the clv
    recording and all).

    Anonymous Joe, Jan 25, 2004
  17. luminos

    will Guest

    On Sat, 24 Jan 2004 18:59:30 GMT, "AnthonyR"
    <> wrote:

    >"will" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> Pioneer goes on what the DVD Forum goes by and the DVD forum has
    >> passed Blue Laser which is going to be in the Pioneer A09's for late
    >> 2004 or 2005.
    >>

    >Will, can you explain to me what you meant in this sentence cause i read it
    >a few times
    >and don't understand what you are trying to say.
    >Thanks,
    >
    >AnthonyR.

    Pioneer goes on what the DVD Forum passes.
    The DVD Forum has passed Blue Laser Media.

    http://www.dvdforum.com
    will, Jan 25, 2004
  18. "AnthonyR" <> wrote in message news:<mgzQb.257466$>...
    > "will" <> wrote in message
    > >
    > > Pioneer goes on what the DVD Forum goes by and the DVD forum has
    > > passed Blue Laser which is going to be in the Pioneer A09's for late
    > > 2004 or 2005.
    > >

    > Will, can you explain to me what you meant in this sentence cause i read it
    > a few times
    > and don't understand what you are trying to say.
    > Thanks,

    Please excuse my ill-manners, but allow me to retype his statement:

    Pioneer builds their DVD products based on the standards passed by the
    DVD Forum. [I can see that--all the Pioneer literature that I've found
    on the A07 states that they will release the A07 after the 8x8
    standard is approved by the DVD forum. They obviously don't want to
    sell something non-standard, even though they could have begun selling
    these units several months ago.]

    The DVD forum has standardized the blue laser format. [Currently, DVD
    drives use a red laser diode. CD drives use an IR laser diode. The
    shorter the wavelength, the smaller the size of spot to which the
    laser light can be focused, thus allowing more dots and dashes on the
    same-sized media.]

    The Pioneer A09 will have blue laser technology. The A09 is expected
    to be sold in late 2004 to 2005.

    This is all very interesting to me. I am looking for my first DVD
    burner. I've never shot or edited DVD movies, either, but I'm hoping I
    can make some commercial-quality informational DVDs, generally for the
    travel industry. I have several projects that I would like to try, and
    I think I have the money to stick my toe in the waters. I don't plan
    to get rich on this, by any means, but I am obsessed with documenting
    the world and with information access. I would like to produce videos
    that would tell people what my city (for example) is like, and would
    also serve as a video directory for residents.

    I don't expect to burn a thousand DVDs on my home computer--at least
    not at one time--but it would be useful for me to burn off a pre-press
    disk that I could send to a professional distribution house. I also
    need to store a lot of files. My friends at work (my day job) strongly
    advise me not to buy an 8x burner, because media is so expensive. They
    all think that 4x is fine. But, if I can burn a DVD in 10 minutes,
    instead of 20 minutes, I think I would like to go that route. Or,
    maybe I should buy a slower unit now, then buy a blue laser later?
    Richard Alexander, Jan 25, 2004
  19. On Sun, 25 Jan 2004 02:59:10 GMT, "Anonymous Joe" <>
    wrote:

    >It actually would have to do with the blu-ray, though.
    >
    >If in late 2004 or early 2005 blu-ray comes out with 20gb discs and there
    >are enough players and stuff for this format, why bother developing a 9.4gb
    >disc if it is going to be released any later than early 2005?

    Because DVD dual-layer is a current widely-supported format. Users
    woud want to make wedding videos, corporate presentations etc. that
    would play on the standard machines every one has.

    >releasing a 9.4gb disc right after a 20gb disc?
    >
    >last check, the 20gb blu-ray is out and costs about $1500 to have the
    >recorder. if this can drop down to something like a powerful video card,
    >maybe $350-$400, then it will gain momentum, even if the discs are like
    >$5-$10/each.
    >
    >i kind of hope that 9.4gb dual layer recordables come out soon, though.
    >sure as heck would drop the price on the 4x 4.7gb media! and if only my 4x
    >dual format could be upgraded....the possibilities!
    >
    >oh, yes, and i also read something that said that in order to properly write
    >onto dual layer media, if you record say just 6gb, you would actually have
    >to burn 3gb on the 1st layer, then burn 3gb on the 2nd layer. i forgot why,
    >exactly, but im sure it has to do with something about how they are read
    >back, so like if you could record 4.38gb on 1st layer, then 2.62gb on the
    >2nd layer, where it stops reading the 2nd layer isnt where the 1st layer
    >will begin, so it crashes or something crazy like that.

    Updated softwre from DVDlab, Scenarist, TmpgDVDauthr etc. would
    include the layer change flags during authoring of the image.

    >that seems like something that would be rather difficult to write into the
    >firmware, and burning software, which naturally leads me to ask how much
    >modifying of software would be necessary to support a dual-layer recordable
    >format?

    The firmware just has to tell the laser that there are two layers, and
    to focus on the one requested by the burnng software, and to calibrate
    the laser output to the "weaker" reflection if it's the second layer.,
    and to read layer change info from the authoring image.

    >and just why wouldn't a 4x drive be able to write to dual layer? it sure as
    >**** can read dual layer.... if it is too weak of a laser, would burning at
    >1x help in any way? to write 9.4gb at 1x would take a long time, i've
    >calculated it to about 2 hours. im not going to sit around waiting 2 hours
    >to burn one 9.4gb dvd, when in that time i could burn eight 4.7gb dvds at
    >4x, or even better about a dozen 4.7gb dvds at 8x (what with the clv
    >recording and all).

    I think matters of servo stability and whether or not it's WORTH
    writing the firmware for old players would be justified would come
    into play. I think Pioneer would offer the dual-layer firmware free
    because a hacker could easily rip the bios from a dual-layer machine
    and post it. Also Pioneer and Plestor would be stuck with unsold
    devalued writers if they couldn't do dual-layer, so providing the
    firmware would maintain value for legacy machines. The same thing
    happened with dialup modems, those that could be flashed to new
    standards maintained marketplace value.

    . Steve .

    Steve(JazzHunter), Jan 25, 2004
  20. luminos