Media Files, VHS > DVD for TV, PC > DVD

Discussion in 'Computer Information' started by - Bobb -, Jul 30, 2010.

  1. - Bobb -

    - Bobb - Guest

    It's been months so, re- asking:

    Trying to co-ordinate my media. I have hundreds of VHS tapes (TV shows, old
    ball games, home movies etc), PC videos in AVI, WMV, MOV format I'd like to
    get onto DVD / be 'indexable'. Also have lots of PC files I'd like in DVD
    format for viewing on TV as well as in wmv or mpg format

    Any users out there familiar with apps/ appliance that would make this easy.
    You have it / use it and like it ?
    I have bought a few combo VHS > DVR's and not happy with any.

    The LG - was OK but remote works with only 5 models of TV. Not my model.

    The Panasonic has the VCR > DVD and DVD> VHS button but too 'fussy' being
    searchable ( if I record a 5 hr tape that HAD no index mark on the tape,
    then I cannot make an index mark on the DVD) - have to FF thru 4 hrs of DVD
    to get to spot - oops too far - resets back to start. World Series tape had
    lots of index marks ( commercials skipped) and DVD can only hold 99 of
    them - and cannot combine them . ( 1 index every 15 minutes would be nice is
    automatic)
    And lousy remote - lots of useless buttons but none to do common tasks.

    I tried a WDTV - worked fine but no MOV.

    I have made a dozen or so with the latest ( Panasonic VHS/DVR) but it's
    tedious. AND since it cannot cut/splice , can't pop in a VHS - press COPY
    to DVD. and then return later, cutting out what I don't want - as many model
    allowed. With this one I have to start COPY, then press STOP, then record
    next video ...

    How much fits on a DVD isn't an issue for me - priority is ease of use.
    Ideally device can CUT , CUT , delete that piece of video. Then record some
    more until max time is reached . then burn DVD.

    Also would like analog/digital tuner.

    Thanks folks.

    - Bobb -, Jul 30, 2010

  2. I can speak to how easy it is -- it isn't difficult, but it's tedious. There
    are lots of programs and hardware that do what you want.

    You can use, among others, Pinnacle Systems products to allow you to connect
    your VHS camera or player to a device that turns the audio & video intputs
    (red, wht, yel) to USB to facilitate putting the content onto your HDD. You
    then select the parts you want to put onto a DVD, and you can intersperse
    still photos and other kinds of video files with your VHS movies. You can
    add new tracks for narration and background music. You also can create a
    menu on the front end that lets you jump around on the DVD that you are
    building. Basically, the applications that do this come in a variety of
    price points, the higher you go on the cost ladder the more features you
    get.

    At the end of the day, you can take your VHS tapes of family vacations and
    your honeymoon night with your new bride (hehehe) and make them into DVDs.
    You can add your still photos that you have on CD, or that you scan to
    files, and put in your choice of music and add new narations that might be
    missing because it didn't occur to the person operating the camera to
    announce, "... here she is coming out of the bathroom on that first night.
    Get a load of her huge eyes ... " You can explain the Great Ceiling Fan
    Fiasco in a whole new way for your audience that will get copies of the DVD.
    It will be a very long day, make no mistake, because you have to view your
    footage mostly in real time. You can fast forward through some parts, but it
    is a long and tedious project that comes from the sheer time frame and has
    nothing to do with the program.

    Jeff Strickland, Jul 30, 2010

  3. - Bobb -

    - Bobb - Guest

    Thanks Jeff
    " It will be a very long day, make no mistake, because you have to view your
    footage mostly in real time."

    THAT's the part I can avoid on SOME devices ( Copy the whole tape - go out
    for the day. Next day open DVD device recording: cut here , cut later, then
    delete the created middle, then SAVE) but those devices had other issues.

    If I have to watch it using Pinnacle , then I can do the same by watching
    the VHS copy to DVD and press STOP when I want to CUT. That DOES work for me
    but tedious ( I have a LOT of tapes - boxes -maybe 100 - 2 hr , 4 hr , some
    6 hr tapes)

    I'd really LIKE to do the VHS editing on a device that I can edit, rather
    than needing so much disk space, memory to get it as a file.

    - Bobb -, Jul 31, 2010
  4. "- Bobb -" <bobb@noemail.123> wrote in message
    > Thanks Jeff
    > " It will be a very long day, make no mistake, because you have to view
    > your footage mostly in real time."
    >
    > THAT's the part I can avoid on SOME devices ( Copy the whole tape - go out
    > for the day. Next day open DVD device recording: cut here , cut later,
    > then delete the created middle, then SAVE) but those devices had other
    > issues.

    It's the "cut here, cut there" part of the process that's tedious and for
    the most part unavoidable. If you just wanted to copy a couple of VHS tapes
    and paste them onto a DVD, that's easy. The copy process is slow because
    with the stuff I have, it can't be done on fast forward it has to be done in
    real time. But you can pot the player on Play and leave it for a while then
    come back and Play the next tape. When you get the tapes into the computer,
    you just drop them onto the TimeLine and this will create the Menu, and you
    name the menu items and click Record.

    The real work comes when you want to have clips of different things, and you
    have to physically watch the video to decide where to start and stop the
    clip, then drop the clip onto the time line, add in a few still photos that
    you have to search through your collection to find, drop in background music
    and add some narration. This all takes time that can't be short circuited.
    It can be eliminated by not taking these steps, but that just means you drop
    the tape into the player and copy it, then paste it onto a DVD. If your
    tapes are already good enough to do that, then you have it easy.

    > If I have to watch it using Pinnacle , then I can do the same by watching
    > the VHS copy to DVD and press STOP when I want to CUT. That DOES work for
    > me but tedious ( I have a LOT of tapes - boxes -maybe 100 - 2 hr , 4 hr ,
    > some 6 hr tapes)
    >
    > I'd really LIKE to do the VHS editing on a device that I can edit, rather
    > than needing so much disk space, memory to get it as a file.

    I don't know how you can edit, add narations and background music without
    using a computer. If you have anything near a current technology HDD and PC
    (or Mac), then you won't have any issues using Pinnacle, or the others. I'm
    not here to sell Pinnacle, and clearly there are other programs and hardware
    packages that do the same job and maybe do it better. I just have a Pinnacle
    package so my knowledge-base is there. Once you put your final project on
    DVD, you can get rid of the file(s) and recover the space.

    Jeff Strickland, Jul 31, 2010
  5. - Bobb -

    - Bobb - Guest

    Packed it up and returning the Panasonic Dvr in AM
    I previously had used an LG but the remote only worked with a few brands.
    THIS one turns my TV on/off but the rest of the product is the clumsy to
    use
    Usually Panasonic has pretty good interfacing. This one is awful. Also Tuner
    is poor . I'll be watching ch 205 and change to 204 and although the front
    panel changes the TV show doesn't. Tonight 204, 205 and 207 all had same NBC
    show ! Then it hung .
    And to do other than record the entire show from VCR to DVD, ( MOST
    options, create chapters/edit video,etc) you need DVD-RAM ! anyone even know
    where to BUY one now ? Not at Wal-Mart,Staples,bestbuy,radio shack, Target,
    or any of the other 10 stores I tried. and this box WAS made in April so not
    on shelf for 3 years. Just as well they didn't have any .
    Going in the AM to get my money back before 14 day window expires
    Although their remote didn't work with my TV, the LG was MUCH easier to
    use/edit etc.
    New store - Ultimate Electronics - just opened near me I'll check what they
    have.
    thanks

    - Bobb -, Aug 3, 2010
  6. I think yo are barking up the wrong tree, Bobb.

    You hsould be looking to a computer-based solution that gives you greater
    flexibility and control. Some of the stuff (one might argue most of it) that
    runs for several minutes tell a story that can be told in 45 seconds. The
    computer-based solution allows you to add interesting affects such as sound,
    page transitions, and you can build menu items to display on the main
    screen.

    The VHS to DVD players simply drag the VHS presentation to DVD and don't let
    you add sound or narration. I suppose you can clip the portions you want,
    but this is not very interesting for your viewers.

    Jeff Strickland, Aug 3, 2010
  7. - Bobb -

    - Bobb - Guest

    Hi Jeff,

    My intent was not to make it fancy, but merely migrate 20 -25 yr old VHS
    tapes to DVD and IF I could edit it even better.
    Nieces, nephews have no VCR - need on DVD.
    I found that using PC for video took MANY hours to get it off tape, then
    into a file format, then into DVD format, lots of disk space .... going
    from 4 hr tape to 4 hr DVR I can do while I got out for the morning or even
    while sleeping - literally - just press VCR->DVD, and go to bed.
    Or if old VHS-c tapes , load them during the day and then cut/edit unwanted
    material, click Make DVD button before dinner. Dinner over - so is DVD. PC
    took HOURS to do that.

    BTW, just back from store- got a refund. I wanted to look at others but no
    other DVR/VCR combos. Without Circuit City, Tweeter, etc , electronics
    buying in Boston area is either Best Buy ( they have 2 - I tried both) and
    Ultimate Electronics ( new store - only had the Panasonic as DVR/VCR).
    I guess I'll have to read more reviews/ buy online - but would prefer
    retail ( so easy to return if a problem, as has happened twice in this
    case).

    - Bobb -, Aug 3, 2010
  8. - Bobb -

    - Bobb - Guest

    Actually to clarify the things I'm trying to achieve:

    # 1. get VHS tape to DVD via a VCR/DVR combo device in the living room (VHS
    tapes are getting pretty old so want to save it.)
    # 2. Get media off my PC to play on DVD in the living room.

    ** NOT trying to go from VHS to PC ** I think it would use WAY too much
    disk space. I have a LOT of VHS.

    Target for playing is DVD media - in living room.

    Objective - get all my stuff / family stuff onto DVD so can burn DVD's and
    just hand them to all family / watch on any DVD player. Making chapter
    slides of stuff currently on PC would make sense but right now no need for
    background music, fancy transitions etc . I can just write an inventory /
    time stamp on the DVD label. So if ' Mike's soccer match ' is 45 minutes in
    , I COULD just note that as it's recording and write that on the label.

    A lot of this is old VHS stuff ... 20-30 years ago , the kids on the local
    news, sporting events , Pro sports - Super Bowls, NBA Finals, Playoffs,
    All-Star games, World Series etc . I have a LOT of VHS and often while
    recording I'd have some concert on ... tape #5 , other concerts on tape
    #47, sometimes a lot of related video on same tape BUT unrelated stuff in
    the middle. So, for some DVD's I could press VHS-DVD and it would be fine
    as-is : 4 hrs of related programs ( maybe World Series Games 1 and 2). For
    others I'd need to pop in a VHS tape - record to DVR, eject VHS , pop in
    another etc until I got all concerts I could onto that one DVD. Others I'd
    record the whole tape , then delete the unrelated files.
    If I can get it all onto DVD, then no need to duplicate all VHS - no need
    at all family to have VCR for viewing VHS sourced stuff. ( younger ones have
    never owned a VCR)

    As for PC stuff,

    #3. I have a LOT of travel related media - camera output ... cruises, road
    trips, trips with friends, family, fishing, etc and trying to get app to
    take all of that and get to DVD easiest way. I would have to do a lot of
    homework to organize .... do I want by year, by category - Europe, USA ,
    Cruises, Fishing etc ? Then pictures AND video of each or just a slideshow ,
    then the video ...

    #4. I might also want to hook up PC to TV and if I could , then just watch
    directly, jpg slideshows, travel movies, home movies ... AVI, MOV, MPG, WMV
    .. I found WDTV worked ok except for Apple QuickTime files. I have a lot
    of them ( a few cameras I've owned recorded in MOV and of course not a
    problem in the past - but to watch on TV/DVD is something else.
    IF WDTV DID play MOV files then that would work for me. I checked into
    Apply box, spoke to Apple rep ... he said "Our Apple TV box will do it ..
    but you need to convert all MOV files to H264 format". I looked at him and
    said, If I wanted to do THAT, I could convert to another format and use the
    WDTV box - I don;t need your box at all. Why doesn't APPLE TV box support
    APPLE QuickTime ? I got a quizzical look. I thought it would be OBVIOUS to
    anyone at Apple that the DIFFERENCE between them and others is APPLE
    formatted media and why they would make a box that DOESN'T support it was
    beyond me.

    I tried a few "movie maker" apps/programs and found that they took f o r e
    v e r to compile the material, (AVI, MPG, WMV) then burn onto a DVD ( like
    the good part of a day on a 2 ghz PC). Task mgr shows CPU pegged and nothing
    else going on.

    So - to put it in " Nero Burning Rom " app equivalent, I'd like to grab
    Pictures folder and drag to new DVD - burn - done.

    Then grab files in My Videos folder and drag to new DVD until shows full -
    burn - done.

    But for me, the conversion from "whatever format" to DVD VIDEO_TS formatting
    takes way too long.

    Bobb

    - Bobb -, Aug 4, 2010
  9. You can stuff the VHS tapes into the VHS/DVD recorder and walk away. At the
    end of the day, you get your VHS tape on a DVD. Period. No edits, no
    narration, No new audio tracks. What you have is what you get. End of story.
    Not very exzciting or interesting.

    For the same time invested, you can put the tapes onto the PC, then (this is
    where the extra time demands build) do your edits, add narration and
    background music, and create an interesting DVD to play on your TV. Once the
    DVD has been created, you can delete the source files because they don't
    hold much interest anymore anyhow. And, you've still got the source files on
    VHS, if you care.

    You are stuck on the VHS/DVD player machine. What you really want is a
    computer based solution that lets you put your soundtracks and narrations
    into old, boring family movies. The machine will copy the tapes to DVD, but
    it will not facilitate making the tapes interesting.

    Jeff Strickland, Aug 4, 2010