Media-class installer is rejecting 64-bit driver installation on AMD64

Discussion in 'Windows 64bit' started by Charles Hanes, Jul 5, 2005.

  1. I have run into a problem with installing a 64-bit version of a media-class
    driver on an AMD64 system with Windows XP Pro 64-bit edition.

    The class installer is rejecting the install of the driver.

    As you know, for AMD64 in the .inf file you must add the decoration .NTamd64
    to the manufacturer information to get the correct identification. This is
    described in the document "INF Requirements for 64-bit Systems" at
    http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/driver/install/64INF_reqs.mspx

    So, instead of:

    [Manufacturer]

    %XYZMfg%=CompanyName

    or:

    [Manufacturer]

    %XYZMfg%=CompanyName,NT

    both of which work on x86 Windows XP 32-bit, you have:

    [Manufacturer]

    %XYZMfg%=CompanyName,NTamd64

    or you can combine them as follows:

    [Manufacturer]

    %XYZMfg%=CompanyName,NT,NTamd64

    I tried all of these combinations on the 64-bit system. With the first two,
    the system installer does not recognize a correct combination for the
    system. With the last two, the installation is attempted, but the class
    installer rejects the install of the driver.

    And please note that this "decoration" problem is not specific to the 64-bit
    operating system. If I use the decoration .NTx86 on the 32-bit system, with
    a working 32-bit driver, this is also rejected by the class installer, even
    though it should be correct. Only the .NT decoration is accepted.

    There is a registry setting that will allow an undecorated .inf file to work
    on an AMD64 system, but that is not suitable for a end-user installation.

    Does anyone know if there is a way to install a media-class driver on AMD64
    without running into this problem?

    Thanks for any help. If there is another forum on which I should post this
    question, please let me know. I have not yet found a 64-bit-specific driver
    development forum.

    Charles Hanes, Jul 5, 2005

  2. Hello Charles,
    Can you send me the inf file( renamed so it doesn't get deleted from by my
    email server) Also can you include the setupapi.log file?
    Remove the online from the email address.
    Thanks,
    Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

    <From: "Charles Hanes" <>
    <Subject: Media-class installer is rejecting 64-bit driver installation on