media centre..

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Bruce Sinclair, Jul 19, 2005.

  1. In article <42dd9225$>, David Preece <> wrote:
    >Nova wrote:
    >> has anyone used microsofts media centre OS? is it very good?

    >I had a quick play with one the other day, and it was complete cack.
    >Pretty, in a WinXP sort of way, but farking slow and the UI was a real
    >bitch. Seemed like a classic example of the engineers being allowed to
    >run the usability show, actually.

    Surely that's better than letting the marketers do it ? :)

    Bruce

    (if there were any)
    Bruce Sinclair, Jul 19, 2005

  2. Bruce Sinclair

    Nova Guest

    How cool is this case for a media centre... oh if only i was rich...

    http://www.computerlounge.co.nz/components/componentview.asp?partid=1867

    has anyone used microsofts media centre OS? is it very good?
    I am looking at putting together a media centre and am guessing that is
    the best way to go... especially over a standalone system as they cant
    support new codecs etc so will be outdated so fast..
    Nova, Jul 20, 2005

  3. Bruce Sinclair

    David Preece Guest

    Nova wrote:
    > has anyone used microsofts media centre OS? is it very good?

    I had a quick play with one the other day, and it was complete cack.
    Pretty, in a WinXP sort of way, but farking slow and the UI was a real
    bitch. Seemed like a classic example of the engineers being allowed to
    run the usability show, actually.

    Dave
    David Preece, Jul 20, 2005
  4. Bruce Sinclair

    thing2 Guest

    Nova wrote:
    > How cool is this case for a media centre... oh if only i was rich...
    >
    > http://www.computerlounge.co.nz/components/componentview.asp?partid=1867
    >
    > has anyone used microsofts media centre OS? is it very good?
    > I am looking at putting together a media centre and am guessing that is
    > the best way to go... especially over a standalone system as they cant
    > support new codecs etc so will be outdated so fast..

    That is an expensive case........

    That amount of Dosh alone would buy a decent system.......

    regards

    thing
    thing2, Jul 20, 2005
  5. "thing2" <> wrote in message
    > Nova wrote:
    >> How cool is this case for a media centre... oh if only i was rich...
    >>
    >> http://www.computerlounge.co.nz/components/componentview.asp?partid=1867
    >>
    >> has anyone used microsofts media centre OS? is it very good?
    >> I am looking at putting together a media centre and am guessing that is
    >> the best way to go... especially over a standalone system as they cant
    >> support new codecs etc so will be outdated so fast..
    >>

    > That is an expensive case........
    >
    > That amount of Dosh alone would buy a decent system.......

    It is expensive, but the touchscreen on the front side is a nice, hmmm,
    touch...

    http://www.geekzone.co.nz
    Mauricio Freitas, Jul 20, 2005
  6. Bruce Sinclair

    PAM. Guest

    "David Preece" <> wrote in message
    > I had a quick play with one the other day, and it was complete cack.
    > Pretty, in a WinXP sort of way, but farking slow and the UI was a real
    > bitch. Seemed like a classic example of the engineers being allowed to
    > run the usability show, actually.

    I guess, like with many things, it has to get out there, earn some revenue
    and then tweak to how the audience wants it.
    Reminds me of the Toyota Prius. The Petrol/Electric hybrid car. Crap mpg
    compared to a Lupo diesel or many other small cars but there has to be one
    out there before they can tweak it and make it better.

    PAM.
    PAM., Jul 20, 2005
  7. Bruce Sinclair

    Tony Guest

    On Wed, 20 Jul 2005 11:05:00 +1200, Nova <> wrote:

    >How cool is this case for a media centre... oh if only i was rich...
    >
    >http://www.computerlounge.co.nz/components/componentview.asp?partid=1867
    >
    >has anyone used microsofts media centre OS? is it very good?
    >I am looking at putting together a media centre and am guessing that is
    >the best way to go... especially over a standalone system as they cant
    >support new codecs etc so will be outdated so fast..

    What a Bloody Rip OFF..

    Way Way over priced and does not even come with Fans or PSU.
    Tony, Jul 20, 2005
  8. Tony wrote:
    > On Wed, 20 Jul 2005 11:05:00 +1200, Nova <> wrote:
    >

    >>How cool is this case for a media centre... oh if only i was rich...
    >>
    >>http://www.computerlounge.co.nz/components/componentview.asp?partid=1867

    <snip>

    > What a Bloody Rip OFF..
    >
    > Way Way over priced and does not even come with Fans or PSU.

    Personally I wouldn't buy this particular case for that much money
    either. But be realistic there are always going to be people who will
    pay the high end extra $$ for style and features etc.
    Nathan Mercer, Jul 20, 2005
  9. Bruce Sinclair

    Tim Guest

    Touch screen on the front of the box - get off! Touch screen on a smart
    remote is Fine, but not on The Box. So, to use the box, you have to get out
    of your chair and stuff around with it. Ahhh remote control perhaps? Then
    why a touch screen? Take the touch screen out and it should be no less
    usable.

    Personally, for the price I think it is a POS. For half the price it would
    be reasonable, but still expensive. The case should be half the height, not
    touch screen, not a major piece of lounge room furniture and at around $200.
    They should still make a profit - perhaps a lot more profit as they might
    sell zillions of them rather than one or two.

    The literacy of the author of the advert needs to be questioned. On one hand
    it is not a aluminium slapped on case, the next it is alloy (which aluminium
    alloy? there are very many), then again it is aluminium. The author needs to
    realise that aluminium is fine and leave it at that.

    Tim, Jul 20, 2005
  10. Bruce Sinclair

    Nova Guest

    Nathan Mercer wrote:
    > Tony wrote:
    >
    >> On Wed, 20 Jul 2005 11:05:00 +1200, Nova <> wrote:
    >>

    >>> How cool is this case for a media centre... oh if only i was rich...
    >>>
    >>> http://www.computerlounge.co.nz/components/componentview.asp?partid=1867

    > <snip>
    >

    >> What a Bloody Rip OFF..
    >>
    >> Way Way over priced and does not even come with Fans or PSU.

    > Personally I wouldn't buy this particular case for that much money
    > either. But be realistic there are always going to be people who will
    > pay the high end extra $$ for style and features etc.

    Of course, hence why they make them :). Some people have so much $$
    they wouldn't give it a second thought.
    Nova, Jul 20, 2005
  11. Bruce Sinclair

    Nova Guest

    Mauricio Freitas wrote:
    > "thing2" <> wrote in message
    >
    >>Nova wrote:
    >>
    >>>How cool is this case for a media centre... oh if only i was rich...
    >>>
    >>>http://www.computerlounge.co.nz/components/componentview.asp?partid=1867
    >>>
    >>>has anyone used microsofts media centre OS? is it very good?
    >>>I am looking at putting together a media centre and am guessing that is
    >>>the best way to go... especially over a standalone system as they cant
    >>>support new codecs etc so will be outdated so fast..
    >>>

    >>That is an expensive case........
    >>
    >>That amount of Dosh alone would buy a decent system.......
    >>

    > It is expensive, but the touchscreen on the front side is a nice, hmmm,
    > touch...

    yeah quite cool, good when you would just want to listen to music and
    not have to turn on a monitor or tv each time etc, but way our of my
    budget that is for sure heh.
    Nova, Jul 20, 2005
  12. Bruce Sinclair

    BMR Guest

    Microsoft's control of DRM worries me!

    BMR, Jul 20, 2005
  13. Bruce Sinclair

    XPD Guest

    "Nova" <> wrote in message
    > How cool is this case for a media centre... oh if only i was rich...
    >
    > http://www.computerlounge.co.nz/components/componentview.asp?partid=1867
    >
    > has anyone used microsofts media centre OS? is it very good?
    > I am looking at putting together a media centre and am guessing that is
    > the best way to go... especially over a standalone system as they cant
    > support new codecs etc so will be outdated so fast..

    Friend of mine is using it with his media PC and loves it.... although he
    has added in quite a few plugins to fill the gap where the original software
    is let down.
    XPD, Jul 20, 2005
  14. In article <>, Nova <> wrote:

    >How cool is this case for a media centre... oh if only i was rich...
    >
    >http://www.computerlounge.co.nz/components/componentview.asp?partid=1867

    "...just sellect your music...and your done."
    "...built to the higest of standards..."
    "...cases with a aluminuim panel..."
    "...8mm thick percesion machined..."
    "...reduce noise transmittion...keep your HTPC even quiter. "

    This sort of thing may be par for the course for USENET, but when you're
    trying to get the punters to shell out the hard-earned stuff, the online
    equivalent of soiled clothing is, shall we say, a bad look...
    Lawrence D¹Oliveiro, Jul 20, 2005
  15. In article <42ddeaf8$>, "BMR" <> wrote:

    >Microsoft's control of DRM worries me!
    >
    >"Nova" <> wrote in message
    >> How cool is this case for a media centre... oh if only i was rich...
    >>
    >> http://www.computerlounge.co.nz/components/componentview.asp?partid=1867
    >>
    >> has anyone used microsofts media centre OS? is it very good?

    Worries me, too. Why buy a product that's designed to _prevent_ you from
    doing things you might want to do?
    Lawrence D¹Oliveiro, Jul 20, 2005
  16. Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Jul 20, 2005
  17. Bruce Sinclair

    Nova Guest

    Lawrence D¹Oliveiro wrote:
    > In article <42ddeaf8$>, "BMR" <> wrote:
    >

    >>Microsoft's control of DRM worries me!
    >>
    >>"Nova" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >>>How cool is this case for a media centre... oh if only i was rich...
    >>>
    >>>http://www.computerlounge.co.nz/components/componentview.asp?partid=1867
    >>>
    >>>has anyone used microsofts media centre OS? is it very good?

    > Worries me, too. Why buy a product that's designed to _prevent_ you from
    > doing things you might want to do?

    seriously, do you ever get bored of beating that drum over and over?
    Do you have to bring it into every thread?
    Nova, Jul 20, 2005
  18. Lawrence D¹Oliveiro wrote:
    >>Microsoft's control of DRM worries me!
    >>
    >>"Nova" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >>>How cool is this case for a media centre... oh if only i was rich...
    >>>
    >>>http://www.computerlounge.co.nz/components/componentview.asp?partid=1867
    >>>
    >>>has anyone used microsofts media centre OS? is it very good?

    > Worries me, too. Why buy a product that's designed to _prevent_ you from
    > doing things you might want to do?

    You can do whatever you like with content that you own.

    Personally I'm prepared to put up with DRM because I want to watch
    content that the RIAA/MPAA aren't willing to distribute in clear formats
    ie High Definition Hollywood movies
    Nathan Mercer, Jul 20, 2005
  19. Bruce Sinclair

    Jerry Guest

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:

    > Expensive, but lacking in class.
    >
    > (Hint: "aluminuim")

    I noticed that, we have aluminium, the US has aluminum, but who in the f
    has aluminuim, and how is it pronounced?
    Jerry, Jul 20, 2005
  20. In article <42de2a60$>, Nathan Mercer <>
    wrote:

    >Lawrence D¹Oliveiro wrote:
    >>>Microsoft's control of DRM worries me!
    >>>
    >>>"Nova" <> wrote in message

    >> Worries me, too. Why buy a product that's designed to _prevent_ you from
    >> doing things you might want to do?

    >You can do whatever you like with content that you own.
    >
    >Personally I'm prepared to put up with DRM because I want to watch
    >content that the RIAA/MPAA aren't willing to distribute in clear formats
    >ie High Definition Hollywood movies

    When you buy such content, will you own it?
    Lawrence D¹Oliveiro, Jul 20, 2005