    I see Microsoft have released media center here in Nz, Did they get the
    Epg side of it sorted.

    Jeremy
    Jeremy, Oct 14, 2005

  2. No.
    Windows Media Center does not currently have an EPG available in New
    Zealand and do not know when one will be available.

    Cheers
    Nathan
    Nathan Mercer, Oct 14, 2005

  3. In article <>,

    So how does this guy <http://mr.geek.nz/epg/> do it then?
    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Oct 14, 2005
  4. Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:

    >>No.
    >>Windows Media Center does not currently have an EPG available in New
    >>Zealand and do not know when one will be available.

    > So how does this guy <http://mr.geek.nz/epg/> do it then?

    He rips the content from TV company webpages, not that I mind as I'm
    using his ill-gotten content for my MythTV box.
    MS have been so far unsuccesfully negoitating with SKY for an EPG for
    Media Centre. Since sky have their own PVR to sell good luck to MS. :)
    Besides, with the DRM lockdown and MS sleeping with the MPAA and RIAA
    who would want to pay money for it?
    MaximumDamage, Oct 14, 2005
  5. Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
    >>>I see Microsoft have released media center here in Nz, Did they get the
    >>>Epg side of it sorted.

    >>No.
    >>Windows Media Center does not currently have an EPG available in New
    >>Zealand and do not know when one will be available.

    > So how does this guy <http://mr.geek.nz/epg/> do it then?

    It is not a technical problem
    Nathan Mercer, Oct 14, 2005
  6. In message <434f5956$>, MaximumDamage wrote:

    > Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
    >>
    >>>No.
    >>>Windows Media Center does not currently have an EPG available in New
    >>>Zealand and do not know when one will be available.

    >> So how does this guy <http://mr.geek.nz/epg/> do it then?

    > He rips the content from TV company webpages...

    He says he doesn't scrape web pages.
    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Oct 14, 2005
  7. In message <434f6998$>, Nathan Mercer wrote:

    >>>No.
    >>>Windows Media Center does not currently have an EPG available in New
    >>>Zealand and do not know when one will be available.

    >> So how does this guy <http://mr.geek.nz/epg/> do it then?

    > It is not a technical problem

    So how does he do it then?
    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Oct 14, 2005
  8. Jeremy

    shannon Guest

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:

    >>>So how does this guy <http://mr.geek.nz/epg/> do it then?

    >>It is not a technical problem

    > So how does he do it then?

    breach of copyright
    shannon, Oct 14, 2005
  9. Jeremy

    Jeremy Guest

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:

    >>>So how does this guy <http://mr.geek.nz/epg/> do it then?

    >>It is not a technical problem

    > So how does he do it then?

    He Decodes the epg signal from the sat in raw there was a description
    somewhere.
    Jeremy, Oct 14, 2005
  10. Jeremy

    Jeremy Guest

    shannon wrote:
    > Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:

    >>> It is not a technical problem

    >> So how does he do it then?

    > breach of copyright

    There have been many interesting arguments about the copyright legality
    of Tv guides mainly on AArdvark.co.nz, basicly you cannot copyright a
    fact i.e the news is on at 6, All we need in Nz is someone with a good
    legal team and lots of money to take the tv ppl to task on this. With
    media center epg is a large part of it what makes it so usefull Ms
    should give it a go.
    Jeremy, Oct 14, 2005
  11. >>> It is not a technical problem

    >> So how does he do it then?

    > He Decodes the epg signal from the sat in raw there was a description
    > somewhere.

    Doesn't he rip it off their respective webpages, I've also written code
    to do this as well. :)
    MaximumDamage, Oct 14, 2005
  12. Jeremy

    shannon Guest

    Jeremy wrote:
    > shannon wrote:
    >
    >> Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:

    >>> So how does he do it then?

    >> breach of copyright

    > There have been many interesting arguments about the copyright legality
    > of Tv guides mainly on AArdvark.co.nz, basicly you cannot copyright a
    > fact i.e the news is on at 6, All we need in Nz is someone with a good
    > legal team and lots of money to take the tv ppl to task on this. With
    > media center epg is a large part of it what makes it so usefull Ms
    > should give it a go.

    Basically the news is on at six is a planned event in a copyrighted
    document.
    If you have lots of money available, why do you need a legal team when
    you can just buy the rights.
    shannon, Oct 14, 2005
  13. Jeremy

    Craig Sutton Guest

    "Jeremy" <> wrote in message

    > > So how does he do it then?

    > He Decodes the epg signal from the sat in raw there was a description
    > somewhere.

    Use a cheap satellite card and the EPG transmitted over the satellite
    service. EPG is part of the DVB standard and is not encrypted.
    Craig Sutton, Oct 15, 2005
  14. Jeremy

    Craig Shore Guest

    On Sat, 15 Oct 2005 09:21:17 +1300, Jeremy <> wrote:

    >There have been many interesting arguments about the copyright legality
    >of Tv guides mainly on AArdvark.co.nz, basicly you cannot copyright a
    >fact i.e the news is on at 6, All we need in Nz is someone with a good
    >legal team and lots of money to take the tv ppl to task on this. With
    >media center epg is a large part of it what makes it so usefull Ms
    >should give it a go.

    Even if it's not illegal to list what they are playing when, you still have to
    get that information from somewhere without copying their published lists.
    Craig Shore, Oct 15, 2005
  15. Jeremy

    JohnO Guest

    Craig Sutton wrote:
    > "Jeremy" <> wrote in message
    > > >
    > > > So how does he do it then?

    > > He Decodes the epg signal from the sat in raw there was a description
    > > somewhere.
    > >

    > Use a cheap satellite card and the EPG transmitted over the satellite
    > service. EPG is part of the DVB standard and is not encrypted.

    Cool - so there's nothing Sky can do about it then? :)
    JohnO, Oct 15, 2005
  16. Jeremy

    Richard Guest

    JohnO wrote:

    >>Use a cheap satellite card and the EPG transmitted over the satellite
    >>service. EPG is part of the DVB standard and is not encrypted.

    > Cool - so there's nothing Sky can do about it then? :)

    Replace it with a propriatory EPG perhaps?
    Richard, Oct 15, 2005
  17. Jeremy

    JohnO Guest

    But as Craig points out, the EPG is format is standardised, so if they
    messed with it, none of their decoders would be able to display it!
    JohnO, Oct 15, 2005
  18. Jeremy

    Richard Guest

    JohnO wrote:
    > But as Craig points out, the EPG is format is standardised, so if they
    > messed with it, none of their decoders would be able to display it!

    They control the software that the decoders run, so could put whatever they like
    on it
    Richard, Oct 15, 2005
  19. Jeremy

    Craig Sutton Guest

    "JohnO" <> wrote in message

    > Craig Sutton wrote:

    > > > He Decodes the epg signal from the sat in raw there was a description
    > > > somewhere.
    > > >

    > > Use a cheap satellite card and the EPG transmitted over the satellite
    > > service. EPG is part of the DVB standard and is not encrypted.

    > Cool - so there's nothing Sky can do about it then? :)

    Well.....they have a software update due early in the a.m Wednesday so let's
    wait and see..
    Craig Sutton, Oct 15, 2005
  20. Jeremy

    Craig Sutton Guest

    "JohnO" <> wrote in message
    > But as Craig points out, the EPG is format is standardised, so if they
    > messed with it, none of their decoders would be able to display it!

    The epg most likely will change anyway with launch of the PVR units. A more
    advanced version will be used.

    oh and Sky have a 4 hour outage planned for early Wednesday a.m software
    update of some kind
    Craig Sutton, Oct 15, 2005