Media Center PC Project

Discussion in 'Computer Information' started by e.w., Mar 15, 2008.

  1. e.w.

    e.w. Guest

    I am planning a Media Center PC project and have a few questions on
    selecting parts. Here's what I have so far...

    Case: Antec Fusion Silver
    Motherboard: ASUS P5GC-MX/1333
    Processor: Intel Pentium E2160 Allendale 1.8GHz LGA 775 65W Dual-Core
    RAM: Kingston ValueRAM 512MB 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 667 (PC2 5300)
    KVR667D2N5/512
    DVD-ROM: LITE-ON Black IDE DVD-ROM Drive Model DH-16D2P-04

    Although I have used one hard drive in my desktops, I have been told
    that it's better to have the OS installed on a smaller C: drive, with
    all of the data stored on a larger D: hard drive because of improved
    seek time when running the OS. If so, how should I split about 400-GB?

    Would a 1.8-Ghz "Allendale" Pentium and 1GB of RAM (667-MHz) be enough
    to run Windows XP MCE 2005 including media player, DVR, winTV, etc?

    What should I be looking for in terms of a video card? The motherboard
    slot is PCI-Express 16. My desktop has a 64MB Radeon and plays video
    fine so would 256-MB be enough for most media center applications?

    Thanks in advance for any help.

    e.w., Mar 15, 2008

  2. e.w.

    - Bobb - Guest

    "e.w." <> wrote in message
    >I am planning a Media Center PC project and have a few questions on
    > selecting parts. Here's what I have so far...
    >
    > Case: Antec Fusion Silver
    > Motherboard: ASUS P5GC-MX/1333
    > Processor: Intel Pentium E2160 Allendale 1.8GHz LGA 775 65W Dual-Core
    > RAM: Kingston ValueRAM 512MB 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 667 (PC2 5300)
    > KVR667D2N5/512
    > DVD-ROM: LITE-ON Black IDE DVD-ROM Drive Model DH-16D2P-04
    >
    > Although I have used one hard drive in my desktops, I have been told
    > that it's better to have the OS installed on a smaller C: drive, with
    > all of the data stored on a larger D: hard drive because of improved
    > seek time when running the OS. If so, how should I split about 400-GB?
    >
    > Would a 1.8-Ghz "Allendale" Pentium and 1GB of RAM (667-MHz) be enough
    > to run Windows XP MCE 2005 including media player, DVR, winTV, etc?
    >
    > What should I be looking for in terms of a video card? The motherboard
    > slot is PCI-Express 16. My desktop has a 64MB Radeon and plays video
    > fine so would 256-MB be enough for most media center applications?
    >
    > Thanks in advance for any help.

    I thought " XP Media Center " only came as OEM.
    I just search goggle but all stuff for sale I see says OEM.
    I thought that meant would only work work " certain hardware".
    I have an HP laptop with it, but is there now a " generic " version of MCE
    ?

    - Bobb -, Mar 16, 2008

  3. e.w.

    Guest

    On Mar 15, 11:25 am, "e.w." <> wrote:
    > I am planning a Media Center PC project and have a few questions on
    > selecting parts. Here's what I have so far...
    >
    > Case: Antec Fusion Silver
    > Motherboard: ASUS P5GC-MX/1333
    > Processor: Intel Pentium E2160 Allendale 1.8GHz LGA 775 65W Dual-Core
    > RAM: Kingston ValueRAM 512MB 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 667 (PC2 5300)
    > KVR667D2N5/512
    > DVD-ROM: LITE-ON Black IDE DVD-ROM Drive Model DH-16D2P-04
    >
    > Although I have used one hard drive in my desktops, I have been told
    > that it's better to have the OS installed on a smaller C: drive, with
    > all of the data stored on a larger D: hard drive because of improved
    > seek time when running the OS. If so, how should I split about 400-GB?
    >
    > Would a 1.8-Ghz "Allendale" Pentium and 1GB of RAM (667-MHz) be enough
    > to run Windows XP MCE 2005 including media player, DVR, winTV, etc?
    >
    > What should I be looking for in terms of a video card? The motherboard
    > slot is PCI-Express 16. My desktop has a 64MB Radeon and plays video
    > fine so would 256-MB be enough for most media center applications?
    >
    > Thanks in advance for any help.

    I suggest you get the biggest HD you can to start with, the bigger,
    the better. I would skip the 400GB HD and get a 750GB or larger.
    Media PCs tend to turn into defacto servers if you have a home network
    and everybody else wants to put their stuff on it too. If you get a
    small HD it will fill up quickly, especially if you use WinTV to
    record TV programs and don't recode with DivX or Xvid. If you have a
    lot of DVDs and CDs and want to rip them to the media box then you
    will also need a lot of space for them. Your case and motherboard are
    your limiting factors, you can only fit in and connect a certain
    amount of HDs.

    Your CPU and RAM will be OK for the media box in general. A faster
    CPU and RAM can make video conversion much quicker but if you get
    something that can do batch conversions, eg Dr DivX, then you can
    schedule the comp to do that during your work or sleep time, etc.

    The amount RAM on the video card is not that important for video play-
    back but the GPU does make a difference. At this time, ATI cards are
    a bit in front of nVidia for hardware video decoding in HD formats.
    Have a look at the HD 3650s. The HD3450s may be cheaper option but I
    have not seen their details yet but you can check that out for
    yourself.

    Think about networking. If your board on the media box has 1Gb
    networking and it is connected to a gigabit switch then you should be
    able to stream to another 3-4 computers at the same time as watching a
    movie on the media box without stutters, depending on the codec used
    (excludes HD DVD and Blu-Ray).

    , Mar 18, 2008