    formatting the hard drive and reinstalling the OS. I dont want to lose
    all my software that is installed.

    thanks.

    Roky, Sep 8, 2009

  2. Roky

    Paul Guest

    Roky wrote:
    > My media center is causing my pc to crash after it has been running
    > for say an hour.
    > I have a 3 year old HP athlon 4600 dual core ,2 gb ram, with media
    > center.
    >
    > is there anyway to refresh the media center software without
    > formatting the hard drive and reinstalling the OS. I dont want to lose
    > all my software that is installed.
    >
    > thanks.

    There would have been a method, if you built the PC yourself.

    There is a difference, between the approach used by Dell/HP/Acer/Gateway
    and the home builder. The HP box probably uses a "recovery partition", which
    returns the computer to factory state. Which means all your installed
    software, has to be reinstalled.

    If you had a real Windows CD in your hand, you can do a "repair install".
    If you start up, from a real Windows CD, there are two options. One is
    the "Recovery Console", a miniature OS for making repairs to the OS.
    The other option is for a "repair install". The repair install, returns
    the OS to its original state, but the installed programs are preserved.
    You have to go to Windows Update, and do all your security updates
    again, reinstall newer versions of Internet Explorer, perhaps
    reinstall Windows Media Player, but the other software you installed,
    your preferences, your email database, should remain untouched.

    For best results, the installer CD should be slipstreamed to the
    same Service Pack you're currently running. So if there was such a
    thing as a Media Center installer CD, you'd start with that,
    and use NLite from nliteos.com, to build a slipstreamed CD.
    Then, follow the repair install recipe.

    For the owner of a Dell/HP/Acer/Gateway, what is the best way to
    manage the software ? Keep a folder, where all your program
    installers are located. The folder should be backed up regularly
    (in case the hard drive dies, taking all the installers with it).
    If you keep a folder full of program installers like that, it makes it
    easier to reinstall them later.

    A good question would be, "why doesn't HP support repair install",
    and I don't have an answer for that. If they wanted to check that
    the existing installed image was one of theirs, I would think that
    would be easy enough to arrange. I don't really understand the
    "recovery partition" philosophy, of having to reinstall all
    the user's software over again.

    Another tool you won't get to use, is SFC (System File Checker).
    In principle, SFC allows Windows to check all the system files.
    In my case, I keep the i386 folder on my D: drive, and I needed
    to make two registry changes, to get SFC to use the D:\i386 folder,
    to do the system file checking. Using the Performance Monitor, it
    almost seemed to me, that Windows was actually just copying all
    the files over again. In any case, I don't expect you have an
    actual i386 folder with 5000 files inside it, so SFC probably
    won't work for you either. SFC is not a solution for viruses,
    but it is another example of a tool that may not be supported
    by Dell/HP/Acer/Gateway.

    I did manage to buy a computer for a relative, where the computer
    came with a real Windows CD. It was a build option, for the product
    I purchased (as the company has limited build-to-order capability).
    So if you look around, at a smaller computer company, some of them
    offer the option to get a real Windows CD. Or, you can always
    buy a Dell, then buy a retail OS separately, which gives you
    more options, and less cruft (pre-installed software you don't want).

    Paul

    Paul, Sep 8, 2009

  3. Roky

    GTS Guest

    --

    If this is a blue screen crash what is the error message and code? What
    does event viewer show? What is running on media center?

    GTS, Sep 8, 2009
  4. Roky

    JD Guest

    Roky wrote:
    > My media center is causing my pc to crash after it has been running
    > for say an hour.
    > I have a 3 year old HP athlon 4600 dual core ,2 gb ram, with media
    > center.
    >
    > is there anyway to refresh the media center software without
    > formatting the hard drive and reinstalling the OS. I dont want to lose
    > all my software that is installed.
    >
    > thanks.

    Hi there

    by the sounds of it you want to do a "repair install" which is basically
    following the install procedure without formatting the drive, this
    leaves your program folders and data on the drive but it will put in a
    new clean Registry so most of them wont work, you would have to
    reinstall/repair your software.

    you might also want to test your power supply and check your hard drive
    for error's.

    Repair Install http://support.microsoft.com/kb/315341 (this description
    is for XP but should be the same for media centre)

    JD

    JD, Sep 8, 2009
  5. Roky

    - Bobb - Guest

    "Roky" <> wrote in message
    > My media center is causing my pc to crash after it has been running
    > for say an hour.
    > I have a 3 year old HP athlon 4600 dual core ,2 gb ram, with media
    > center.
    >
    > is there anyway to refresh the media center software without
    > formatting the hard drive and reinstalling the OS. I dont want to lose
    > all my software that is installed.
    >
    > thanks.

    did you ever do a backup ?
    Control panel - system - system restore tab - look at /choose restore
    point(s).
    If problem just started pick most recent restore.
    If still a problem - pick next one back ,,,
    etc

    - Bobb -, Sep 9, 2009
  6. Roky

    Roky Guest

    On Sep 8, 5:32 pm, "- Bobb -" <b...@noemail.123> wrote:
    > "Roky" <> wrote in message

    > > My media center is causing my pc to crash after it has been running
    > > for say an hour.
    > > I have a 3 year old HP athlon 4600 dual core ,2 gb ram, with media
    > > center.

    > > is there anyway to refresh the media center software without
    > > formatting the hard drive and reinstalling the OS. I dont want to lose
    > > all my software that is installed.

    > > thanks.

    > did you ever do a backup ?
    > Control panel - system - system restore tab - look at /choose restore
    > point(s).
    > If problem just started pick most recent restore.
    > If still a problem - pick next one back ,,,
    > etc

    What is happening is when I make media center window FULL Screen the
    control icons on the window disappear and i cant control the media
    center. If i try to shut it down with windows task manager ,It DOESNT
    shut down.

    Now I installed a new video card two weeks ago but i believe this
    problem has been around for months.

    QUESTION: If i do system restroe back 2 months will it delete the
    software for the video card. If so how would I get my PC to run?

    I didnt install the card.
    Roky

    Roky, Sep 9, 2009
  7. Roky

    Roky Guest

    On Sep 8, 7:59 am, "GTS" <> wrote:
    > "Roky" <> wrote in message
    >
    > news:...> My media center is causing my pc to crash after it has been running
    > > for say an hour.
    > > I have a 3 year old HP athlon 4600 dual core ,2 gb ram, with media
    > > center.

    > > is there anyway to refresh the media center software without
    > > formatting the hard drive and reinstalling the OS. I dont want to lose
    > > all my software that is installed.

    > > thanks.

    > --
    >
    > If this is a blue screen crash what is the error message and code?  What
    > does event viewer show?  What is running on media center?

    when i make media center full screen the control icons vanish and i
    cant control media center or get rid of it, even with windows task
    manager, i was running my satellite feed through the s video
    connection for live tv
    roky

    Roky, Sep 9, 2009
  8. Roky

    Roky Guest

    On Sep 8, 10:57 am, JD <> wrote:
    > Roky wrote:
    > > My media center is causing my pc to crash after it has been running
    > > for say an hour.
    > > I have a 3 year old HP athlon 4600 dual core ,2 gb ram, with media
    > > center.

    > > is there anyway to refresh the media center software without
    > > formatting the hard drive and reinstalling the OS. I dont want to lose
    > > all my software that is installed.

    > > thanks.

    > Hi there
    >
    > by the sounds of it you want to do a "repair install" which is basically
    > following the install procedure without formatting the drive, this
    > leaves your program folders and data on the drive but it will put in a
    > new clean Registry so most of them wont work, you would have to
    > reinstall/repair your software.
    >
    > you might also want to test your power supply and check your hard drive
    > for error's.
    >
    > Repair Installhttp://support.microsoft.com/kb/315341(this description
    > is for XP but should be the same for media centre)
    >
    > JD

    that sounds very complicated and dangerous, it will be a last resort,
    it might be easier me and safer to format the drive and reinstall the
    OS.
    Roky

    Roky, Sep 9, 2009
  9. Roky

    Roky Guest

    On Sep 8, 12:05 am, Paul <> wrote:
> [...]

    > to do the system file checking. Using the Performance Monitor, it
    > almost seemed to me, that Windows was actually just copying all
    > the files over again. In any case, I don't expect you have an
    > actual i386 folder with 5000 files inside it, so SFC probably
    > won't work for you either. SFC is not a solution for viruses,
    > but it is another example of a tool that may not be supported
    > by Dell/HP/Acer/Gateway.
    >
    > I did manage to buy a computer for a relative, where the computer
    > came with a real Windows CD. It was a build option, for the product
    > I purchased (as the company has limited build-to-order capability).
    > So if you look around, at a smaller computer company, some of them
    > offer the option to get a real Windows CD. Or, you can always
    > buy a Dell, then buy a retail OS separately, which gives you
    > more options, and less cruft (pre-installed software you don't want).

    I beleive i have a dvd of the OS partition D of 8 or so GB that i made
    from the partition D. Is this a real windows CD? that i can use for a
    repair or only for a format?
    Roky

    Roky, Sep 9, 2009
  10. Roky

    Paul Guest

    Roky wrote:
> [...]

    >> actual i386 folder with 5000 files inside it, so SFC probably
    >> won't work for you either. SFC is not a solution for viruses,
    >> but it is another example of a tool that may not be supported
    >> by Dell/HP/Acer/Gateway.
    >>
    >> I did manage to buy a computer for a relative, where the computer
    >> came with a real Windows CD. It was a build option, for the product
    >> I purchased (as the company has limited build-to-order capability).
    >> So if you look around, at a smaller computer company, some of them
    >> offer the option to get a real Windows CD. Or, you can always
    >> buy a Dell, then buy a retail OS separately, which gives you
    >> more options, and less cruft (pre-installed software you don't want).
    >>
    >> Paul

    > I beleive i have a dvd of the OS partition D of 8 or so GB that i made
    > from the partition D. Is this a real windows CD? that i can use for a

    I don't think that is a real windows CD/DVD. Can you examine the
    contents with the file explorer ? A Windows CD would have an i386
    folder with 5000 files in it, most of them compressed and the
    file names ending in an underscore character. There are two installer
    programs in the i386 folder, WINNT.EXE and WINNT32.EXE . One is
    used to start an install while a Windows OS is running, while the
    other is used while you're booted with a DOS floppy.

    Your DVD could simply be a copy of the C: drive, as shipped from
    the factory, and that is not an installer disk as such. There wouldn't
    be a good reason to have a WINNT.EXE or WINNT32.EXE file in it.

    *******

    Based on the problem description you've given "Bobb", it sounds
    like perhaps the video card thinks it is driving two video outputs.

    If you go to Control Panels, and bring up the Display control panel,
    what do you see in the Settings tab ? Do you see two screens enabled,
    or is one screen grayed out ? If you click the Identify button, is
    the current screen #1 or not ? Perhaps when you go full screen, the
    other video display is getting the icons ?

    (An example, if they haven't blocked the image...)

    http://www.tweakguides.com/images/ATICAT_5.jpg

    (Same thing, only for an Intel graphics device...)

    http://www.intel.com/support/graphics/intel852gm/img/Display.jpg

    In that case, there is a second video output, which is not
    being used.

    Paul

    Paul, Sep 9, 2009
  11. Roky

    - Bobb - Guest

    "Roky" <> wrote in message
    On Sep 8, 5:32 pm, "- Bobb -" <b...@noemail.123> wrote:
    > "Roky" <> wrote in message

    > > My media center is causing my pc to crash after it has been running
    > > for say an hour.
    > > I have a 3 year old HP athlon 4600 dual core ,2 gb ram, with media
    > > center.

    > > is there anyway to refresh the media center software without
    > > formatting the hard drive and reinstalling the OS. I dont want to lose
    > > all my software that is installed.

    > > thanks.

    > did you ever do a backup ?
    > Control panel - system - system restore tab - look at /choose restore
    > point(s).
    > If problem just started pick most recent restore.
    > If still a problem - pick next one back ,,,
    > etc

    What is happening is when I make media center window FULL Screen the
    control icons on the window disappear and i cant control the media
    center. If i try to shut it down with windows task manager ,It DOESNT
    shut down.

    Now I installed a new video card two weeks ago but i believe this
    problem has been around for months.

    QUESTION: If i do system restroe back 2 months will it delete the
    software for the video card. If so how would I get my PC to run?

    I didnt install the card.
    Roky
    ===============
    So who DID install the video card ?
    Do you have the CD / drivers for the card ?
    Read before doing anything :

    1. Check system restore - tab ( above).
    Is C drive enabled ?
    2. Yes ? - Check date of last restore.
    IF it was enabled - at last config change it "should have" done a backup.
    ( this isn;t a BACKUP as in back up all of my data - just essential system
    registry stuff.

    Let's assume restore worked as I described. It would chnage registry back to
    "that point prior to install of card/drivers". SO, when you boot it will
    announce " Found new hardware" and prompt for driver source. You'd insert
    the video card driver CD.

    IF this "problem started occuring when card was installed, I'd assume one or
    more settings are not right in MediaCenter. Think about how it looks. IF MC
    thought you had a 20x30 monitor ( for example) and you only have a 10x 18 in
    monitor, then the icons might be there - but "off the visible screen".
    Control Panel - display - settings - advanced --- make everything Automatic,
    or if it already is, then look at each option and think about your current
    'problem'.

    Did you try to /can you - boot MediaCenter directly ? - not booting XP, then
    MC - but boot Mediacenter directly at start time. On my HP there's a button
    to do that - I assume yours is the same.
    Same 'bad screen' ? or OK in standalone mode ?
    Does it crash after 1-2 hours ?
    If Ok standalone, then I'd assume conflict ( driver/IRQ ?) with XP / video
    card software.

    - Bobb -, Sep 9, 2009
  12. Roky

    Roky Guest

    On Sep 9, 9:30 am, "- Bobb -" <b...@noemail.123> wrote:
> [...]

    > IF this "problem started occuring when card was installed, I'd assume one or
    > more settings are not right in MediaCenter. Think about how it looks. IF MC
    > thought you had a 20x30 monitor ( for example) and you only have a 10x 18 in
    > monitor, then the icons might be there - but "off the visible screen".
    > Control Panel - display - settings - advanced --- make everything Automatic,
    > or if it already is, then look at each option and think about your current
    > 'problem'.
    >
    > Did you try to /can you - boot MediaCenter directly ? - not booting XP, then
    > MC -  but boot Mediacenter directly at start time. On my HP there's a button
    > to do that - I assume yours is the same.
    > Same 'bad screen' ? or OK in standalone mode ?
    > Does it crash after 1-2 hours ?
    > If Ok standalone, then I'd assume conflict ( driver/IRQ ?) with XP / video

    When i open MC the first window has all the buttons,icons,and is full
    screen, and I can clik on the box button and rreduce it to a small
    size and it seems to work ok, but if i open the live tv in the full
    screen mode the buttons dissappear like when you are watching , this
    CRASH occurs immediately,

    they just dont come back when you move the mouse over the screen no
    matter what you do.
    so you have a full screen image that you cant control
    sometimes you can close it out with task manager, sometimes not.
    the only problem i can see is if i want to watch something in full
    screen mode instead of just expanding the window to almost full screen
    mode.
    I dont think it has to do with the video card.
    The only buttons are the icons to start MC after I boot up XP. MC does
    not run without XP running

    Roky.

    Roky, Sep 17, 2009