Media Center has no picture & no sound... please help

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by mlmonte, Jan 14, 2006.

  1. mlmonte

    mlmonte Guest

    The Media Center program has a black screen and no sound but it can
    download the local cable tv guide no problem and it shows the correct
    info for whatever channel I change it to but all channels are the
    same, black screen and no sound. The radio part of the program
    displays the correct FM frequency but with no sound also. I currently
    have one show that was recorded about a year ago and it plays fine.
    I haven't tried to use the program for about maybe 6 months, so I
    don't know how long this issue has been going on for.
    The Media Center program displays no error messages.
    Doing a system restore is pointless because it's been shut off.
    I've tried a Google search with various keywords or phrases and no
    luck with my problem. Mostly what comes up with a Google search is for
    reinstalling the entire XP Media Center OS but that is not what I want
    to do here. If I could reinstall the Media Center program by itself
    with the recovery CD that would be great but I'm afraid to put the
    recovery CD in thinking that it will automatically reinstall the OS,
    henceforth wiping out my hard drive and starting from scratch.

    HP Pavilion m300y
    OS: XP Media Center Edition Version 2002 with SP2
    Video Card: NVIDIA GeForce FX5200

    Thanks to all...
    mlmonte, Jan 14, 2006