  1. Jay

    Jay Guest

    Any idea when a 64 bit media center edition will be available?

    Jay, Jul 12, 2005

  2. "Jay" <msnews.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Any idea when a 64 bit media center edition will be available?

    You are unlikely to see a 64-bit Media Center Edition for x64 until possibly
    the Longhorn timeframe at the earliest

    --

    Regards,

    Mike
    --
    Mike Brannigan [Microsoft]

    rights

    newsgroups

    Mike Brannigan [MSFT], Jul 12, 2005

  3. Jay

    Jay Guest

    Thanks, Mike. Any idea n we'l see Longhorn betas (MSDN)?

    Jay, Jul 12, 2005
  4. "Jay" <msnews.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Thanks, Mike. Any idea n we'l see Longhorn betas (MSDN)?

    If you mean the general client that has already been answered in the
    MSDN.general newsgroup.

    If you mean MCE - then I do not have a timeframe for that - as I said it may
    be in the LH timeframe.

    --

    Regards,

    Mike
    --
    Mike Brannigan [Microsoft]

    rights

    newsgroups

    Mike Brannigan [MSFT], Jul 12, 2005
  5. Jay

    DKI Guest

    Mike different question Will VPC SP2 when ever it will be out. will it allow
    us to use VPC on X64

    DKI, Jul 12, 2005
  6. Jay

    DKI Guest

    Also to add i read that it might be out this year is might that be true?

    DKI, Jul 12, 2005
  7. It was announced at WinHEC that all SKU's for Longhorn will be 64 bit
    enabled allowing the user to choose at installation whether they want 32 bit
    or 64 bit of the operating system edition. Longhorn is still early in
    development and things can change. I would be surprised if Microsoft decided
    to integrate MCE functionality as a primary feature of Home Edition reducing
    the number of SKU's making easier for consumers to choose.
    --
    Andre
    Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com

    Andre Da Costa [Extended64], Jul 12, 2005
  8. No announcement has been made about a new service pack for VPC that will
    support x64. Virtual Server 2005 SP1 beta does run on x64. That Service
    Pack will probably go to rtm by the end of the year.

    Andre Da Costa [Extended64], Jul 12, 2005
  9. Jay

    DKI Guest

    Obviously i know that but this a qusetion mike or other MS staff might or
    might not be able to answer. and nobody else which is why i left it under
    his posting.

    DKI, Jul 12, 2005
  10. Jay

    DKI Guest

    Also to add it was one of the topic that was more or less under argument
    cause you did say you did read somewhere it was going to be out this year
    and others like charlie saying that they heard nothing on it. thats why i
    asked the question under the post of a MS staff hoping it might get an
    answer

    DKI, Jul 12, 2005
  11. Andre, news items in CNet a couple of months ago indicated that there may be
    as many as seven editions of LH, including a new omnibus one for us
    super-geeks. There has been nothing since, but I think there are too many
    editions now.

    Colin Barnhorst, Jul 12, 2005
  12. I definitely agree and it just makes it confusing for the not so computer
    savvy user to choose. Yes, I read about super-geek Premium Edition said to
    be in the works, it was noted on Paul Thurrotts WinSupersite that will be
    the edition distributed to Longhorn Beta Testers (don't know if thats true).
    But the Premium Editon should add a lot of value to Microsofts Software
    Assurance programs making deployments much easier because of the wide range
    of functionality expected to be in this particular edition. My question is,
    what will be the cost?

    Professional retails for 199 (upgrade) 300 (full), could this mean it will
    range in price from around 350 (upgrade) 500 to 600 (upgrade)? It would be
    worth it though since you are getting all the functionality from all the
    editions of Windows in one box, Home, Tablet, MCE, Professional, Small
    Business Client (don't know about embedded). As always, Microsoft can cut it
    out of the picture at any time.

    Andre Da Costa [Extended64], Jul 12, 2005
  13. "DKI" <> wrote in message
    > Mike different question Will VPC SP2 when ever it will be out. will it
    > allow us to use VPC on X64

    I'll get back to you on that - I have to do a few other things first a bit
    of research.

    --

    Regards,

    Mike
    --
    Mike Brannigan [Microsoft]

    rights

    newsgroups

    Mike Brannigan [MSFT], Jul 13, 2005
  14. Jay

    DKI Guest

    Ok thanks mike that would be Appreciated.

    DKI, Jul 13, 2005
  15. Jay

    WM Guest

    Note that Embedded is generally a component explosion of Pro in the case of
    XP today - would likely continue in LH as well.

    WM, Jul 13, 2005
  16. The reference was to an internal "roadmap" that showed several products,
    among which was a VPC update. The roadmap was than revised with no further
    reference to VPC. The projected date was after Longhorm rtm.

    Colin Barnhorst, Jul 13, 2005
  17. The real issue I would think is the support load for that many editions.
    Would you want to work in a call center doing support for more flavors of
    Windows than Baskins and Robbins ice creams? And how many menu items would
    there be on the phone line?

    Colin Barnhorst, Jul 13, 2005
  18. Jay

    WM Guest

    Oh, believe me, I agree completely. I think it's ridiculous - in a former
    life, I was on the receiving end of the Baskin-Robbinsiation of Windows
    (funny, I typed that metaphor without completely reading your message and
    realizing you said the same :) )...

    There are already too many flavors of Windows Server 2003 (even just
    counting the X86 versions, and omitting X64 or Itanic). The introduction of
    Tablet and MCE made XP very complicated... Introduce X64 into the mix, add a
    copy of each SKU of that, and it's just crazy (and obscenely confusing for
    customers).

    WM, Jul 13, 2005
  19. DKI,

    I'm sorry but I do not have an public information that I can disclose at
    this time with regard to our support for our virtualization technologies on
    the x64 platform.

    --

    Regards,

    Mike
    --
    Mike Brannigan [Microsoft]

    rights

    newsgroups

    Mike Brannigan [MSFT], Jul 13, 2005
  20. Actually, when its distributed through OEM's its the OEM's responsibility
    for support, not Microsoft's. Anyway, Microsoft has the resources to support
    these editions of XP and remember, there is always the newsgroups. ;-)

    Andre Da Costa [Extended64], Jul 13, 2005