Mecotek MK-X4000 Divx/DVD Player ?

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by canon paora, May 14, 2006.

  1. canon paora

    canon paora Guest

    Cheap AND nasty or just cheap? $115

    BRAND NEW Mecotek MK-X4000 Divx Player,
    MPEG4/AVI/XViD/WMA/DVD/SVCD/VCD/CD/MP3/DVD-R/DVD-RW/CD-R/CD-RW/Kodak CD
    compatible with Superb Picture and Sound Quality

    Do You Know DivX?

    DivX is a new format for digital video, much like MP3 is a format for
    digital music. The DivX codec is based on the MPEG-4 compression
    standard. This codec is so advanced that it can reduce an MPEG-2 video
    (the same format used for DVD or Pay-Per-View) to ten percent of its
    original size. Video on regular VHS tapes can be reduced to about one
    hundredth of their original size.

    Features:

    MPEG4/AVI/XViD/WMA/DVD/SVCD/VCD/CD/MP3/DVD-R/DVD-RW/CD-R/CD-RW/Kodak CD
    compatible Dolby Digital, MPEG-1 Layers 1,2, 3, (MP3) and Windows Media
    Udio (WMA) v8 audio decoding
    PAL/NTSC/MULTI TV System compatible
    Fast & slow motion play
    Memory & program play
    Full function remote control
    Support 32Kinds subtitle 8 Kinds languages, Multi angle 8-bit full -
    Screen OSD
    4Kinds zoom in & zoom out function
    Support 4:3 & 16:9 TV MODE
    Output Sockets: Component Video output (YUV/RGB)
    Composite video output
    S-Video output
    Coaxial digital audio output )option=
    Scart output
    Karaoke (Mic input):Option
    2*2 Channel Dolby Downmix Output
    Parameters: Frequency Response: 20Hz~20khZ
    Signal/noise Ratio (Audio): >90 dB (at 1KHz 0dB)
    Distortion (Audio) : >-60 dB (at 1KHz 0dB)
    Channel 1KHz: >70 dB (Mixed Output)
    Separation: 10KHz >70 dB (Mixed Output)
    Dynamic Range: >70 dB
    Output Audio: Analogue 2.0 0.2 Vrms
    Digital 0.5 0.1 Vp-p (Coaxiel)
    Max Resolution 24bit/192KHz
    Composite 1.0
    Output Video: Max Resolution >500 lines DVI int @ 1080 Lines
    RGB 0.70.2Vp-p

    Top Well known Brand in Europe
    ONLY $100 Divx Player on the market in New Zealand

    A review of this player can be found here
    http://www.vr-zone.com.sg/?i=266&s=1

    This product carries a manufacturers warranty of 3 years.

    As usual, it lists everything it does do but what doesn't it do I
    wonder.

    I have a cheap DVD player (Auriga) that has served me as well if not
    better than better known brand name players (especially shitty Sony
    that won't play this, that and other stuff).
    canon paora, May 14, 2006

  2. canon paora

    ~misfit~ Guest

    canon paora wrote:
    > Cheap AND nasty or just cheap? $115

    Cheap *and* nasty methinks. Two-for-one!

    > BRAND NEW Mecotek MK-X4000 Divx Player,
    > MPEG4/AVI/XViD/WMA/DVD/SVCD/VCD/CD/MP3/DVD-R/DVD-RW/CD-R/CD-RW/Kodak
    > CD compatible with Superb Picture and Sound Quality
    >
    > Do You Know DivX?
    >
    > DivX is a new format for digital video, much like MP3 is a format for
    > digital music. The DivX codec is based on the MPEG-4 compression
    > standard. This codec is so advanced that it can reduce an MPEG-2 video
    > (the same format used for DVD or Pay-Per-View) to ten percent of its
    > original size. Video on regular VHS tapes can be reduced to about one
    > hundredth of their original size.

    DivX? New? They're really pitching that to the peanut gallery.

    <snip spec sheet>

    > Top Well known Brand in Europe

    Really? Know anyone in Europe that you can check that with?

    > ONLY $100 Divx Player on the market in New Zealand

    But it says $115 above. And the review you've provided the URL for below
    says discounted to S$299. (Whatever Singapore dollars are worth. Just
    checked, that's $303 NZ at today's rate). The Review is over six months old,
    they've probably been kicked out of Europe by now. Sounds like, yet again,
    NZ is being used as a dumping-ground for shoddy goods.

    > A review of this player can be found here
    > http://www.vr-zone.com.sg/?i=266&s=1

    Ok, I'll read it.

    This guy seems incompetant. "Since I do not have the luxury of a good
    amplifier, I just connect the red and white analogue outputs direct to my
    TV." and " I doubt this is a vital function for the player as playback
    quality is really bad via the television speakers." If this is the only
    review you can find I'd think twice. Also, the pics/screenshots don't show
    up.

    "One point to note about MK-X4000 is that if you put in a really lousy
    quality commercial-pressed CD or a CD-R of a lower grade dye, you are going
    to face this problem. - MK-X4000 will try and try to read the CD, and will
    continue to do so for the next 5-10 minutes."

    IOW it's fussy about media.

    "Though i observed lags at certain times, i believe its more likely to be
    induced by the video source rather than the hardware."

    I doubt it somehow.

    " As for VCD, you have to bear in mind that you are getting what you are
    paying for. Although there are tons of cheap original VCD in the market,
    cheap sometimes also mean inferior quality. The lens of MK-X4000 is somehow
    more fussy in this area than the rest of us."

    Says it all really don't you think? Cheap plastic lens.

    > This product carries a manufacturers warranty of 3 years.

    Good warranty, you could probably get it swapped for another POS when (not
    *if*) it fails. If the supplier is still around.

    > As usual, it lists everything it does do but what doesn't it do I
    > wonder.

    That's always the kicker. You know what annoys me about all of the DVD
    players I have that also play mp3s? They'll only play mp3s off of CD-Rs. not
    DVDRs. That's annoying.

    > I have a cheap DVD player (Auriga) that has served me as well if not
    > better than better known brand name players (especially shitty Sony
    > that won't play this, that and other stuff).

    It could be worth a shot. However, I wouldn't touch it with rubber gloves
    on. I'd check around the stores and see if I could get an end-of-line
    Pioneer 383 discounted to within 25% of that price. (And download, or ask me
    to email, Gufiak's firmware for it) Then I'd say no contest, Pioneer hands
    down. Even at RRP (and few of the big chains sell at RRP anyway) I'd be
    inclined to go with Pioneer, it's not *that* much difference in price.

    Cheers,
    --
    Shaun.
    ~misfit~, May 14, 2006

  3. On 13 May 2006 17:59:19 -0700, "canon paora" <>
    wrote:

    [specs snipped]

    >As usual, it lists everything it does do but what doesn't it do I
    >wonder.
    >
    >I have a cheap DVD player (Auriga) that has served me as well if not
    >better than better known brand name players (especially shitty Sony
    >that won't play this, that and other stuff).

    I would not buy this one now - it is clearly old technology being sold
    off cheap. The new chipsets support playing WMV9 file as well as
    DivX/Xvid. If it does not list WMV or WMV9, then it is using an older
    chipset. It might have been OK 18 months ago, but things have moved
    on since then.
    Stephen Worthington, May 14, 2006