  1. I have a threaded rod of which I need to know the thread size: M6 or
    whatever. If I measure its widest dimension I get 5.75mm - is this M6? If
    not where do I measure to get the nut size?

    Geoff Pearson, Aug 31, 2007

  2. Geoff Pearson wrote:
    > I have a threaded rod of which I need to know the thread size: M6 or
    > whatever. If I measure its widest dimension I get 5.75mm - is this M6? If
    > not where do I measure to get the nut size?

    Hardware store. Take it with you. Or get a bunch of nuts and see which
    one screws on without binding.
    --
    Enough sex talk, it's coming up on the weekend and there's sports on TV.

    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=, Aug 31, 2007

  3. "Rôgêr" <> wrote in message
    > Geoff Pearson wrote:
    >> I have a threaded rod of which I need to know the thread size: M6 or
    >> whatever. If I measure its widest dimension I get 5.75mm - is this M6?
    >> If not where do I measure to get the nut size?

    > Hardware store. Take it with you. Or get a bunch of nuts and see which one
    > screws on without binding.
    > --
    > Enough sex talk, it's coming up on the weekend and there's sports on TV.

    That's what I would normally do - but the thread and the nuts are in
    different countries - I am trying to buy nuts for people in another country.

    Geoff Pearson, Aug 31, 2007
  4. Geoff Pearson wrote:
    > "Rôgêr" <> wrote in message
    >> Geoff Pearson wrote:
    >>> I have a threaded rod of which I need to know the thread size: M6 or
    >>> whatever. If I measure its widest dimension I get 5.75mm - is this M6?
    >>> If not where do I measure to get the nut size?

    >> Hardware store. Take it with you. Or get a bunch of nuts and see which one
    >> screws on without binding.
    >> --
    >> Enough sex talk, it's coming up on the weekend and there's sports on TV.

    > That's what I would normally do - but the thread and the nuts are in
    > different countries - I am trying to buy nuts for people in another country.

    Is it just me or would it make sense to have THEM check to see exactly
    what size it is? And in your first post you wanted to know what to
    measure. How's that to be accomplished if it's in another country? And
    M6 doesn't mean just one size, take a look here:
    http://www.shender4.com/metric_thread_chart.htm

    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=, Aug 31, 2007
  5. Geoff Pearson wrote:

    > I am trying to buy nuts for people in another country.

    Man, there's a set up big enough to drive a back-hoe through... :)

    --
    Blinky RLU 297263
    Killing all posts from Google Groups

    Blinky the Shark, Sep 1, 2007
  6. Geoff Pearson

    SgtMinor Guest

    Geoff Pearson wrote:
    > I have a threaded rod of which I need to know the thread size: M6 or
    > whatever. If I measure its widest dimension I get 5.75mm - is this M6? If
    > not where do I measure to get the nut size?

    You'll need to worry about pitch or thread count, too. There's coarse,
    fine, and very fine. Helpful details here:
    http://mdmetric.com/tech/tict.htm

    SgtMinor, Sep 1, 2007
  7. "Geoff Pearson" <> wrote in message
    >I have a threaded rod of which I need to know the thread size: M6 or
    >whatever. If I measure its widest dimension I get 5.75mm - is this M6? If
    >not where do I measure to get the nut size?

    I think the dome nut that I have been sent to buy more of is not a metric
    thread but is BA. Any sources of these?

    Geoff Pearson, Sep 2, 2007
  8. Geoff Pearson

    meerkat Guest

    > "Geoff Pearson" <> wrote in message
    >>I have a threaded rod of which I need to know the thread size: M6 or
    >>whatever. If I measure its widest dimension I get 5.75mm - is this M6?
    >>If not where do I measure to get the nut size?
    >>

    > I think the dome nut that I have been sent to buy more of is not a metric
    > thread but is BA. Any sources of these?

    http://www.bbnonline.co.uk/online/BrowseCats.aspx?Cat=Fasteners

    Pick your dome nuts <g>.

    meerkat, Sep 2, 2007