    there any step to improve such scenarios? Your advice is appreciated.

    Thanks,

    Scott

    Scott, May 5, 2009

  2. Scott

    Mike Easter Guest

    Scott wrote:
    > Today I walked around our small office and heard the comments about slow
    > responsive computers & internet connection from most of colleagues.

    This premise is extremely ambiguous. It doesn't define the network's
    connectivity at all.

    > Is
    > there any step to improve such scenarios?

    Here's a similarly ambiguous answer. Yes.

    >Your advice is appreciated.

    The way to ask a question is to first construct a message body of complete
    sentences only which makes no assumptions that the reader is the network
    tech in your office and familiar with your office's network. Then you
    make a very short subject title for the body. In neither subject nor body
    is there a place for long incomplete sentences.

    --
    Mike Easter

    Mike Easter, May 5, 2009

  3. Scott

    why? Guest

    On Tue, 5 May 2009 20:53:50 +0800, Scott wrote:

    >Today I walked around our small office and heard the comments about slow
    >responsive computers & internet connection from most of colleagues. Is
    >there any step to improve such scenarios? Your advice is appreciated.

    That sounds like the twits at my place. This is just the latest from
    last week.

    - User to service manager - Network is slow, everyone complains, will
    raise at management meeting.
    - Service Manager to me - Network any problems?
    - Me to SM - Not being rude, but there are no details.
    - User to me, email (which is across the WAN), database (local).
    - Me check MRTG graphs, switches, routers.
    - WAN a bit higher % utilisation last week or so, no problems.
    - LAN to database server, % util has dropped from yearly avg 4MBps const
    day to 2 Mbps for the last 7 months.
    - Check other graphs 5,7,10Mbps out of 1000Mbps.
    - No problems, bandwidth, latency , port load, port errors.
    ------------

    Okay you need to know what regular performance baseline is like to get a
    feel of what's going on. Map out connections, link speeds, check any
    port counters / errors stats depending on hardware switch / routers.

    Is it local / remote traffic.

    ISP bandwidth swamped.

    Monitor offsite link.

    Use a proxy server and restrict browsing to allowed sites.

    Depending on OS / router setup up QoS allowing specific work traffic
    that's important to get priority offsite.

    Depending on what you have get some basic monitoring setup.

    >Thanks,
    >
    >Scott

    Me

    why?, May 5, 2009