    to do it?

    Thanks,
    hhs
    hhs, May 27, 2008

  2. hhs

    Trendkill Guest

    On May 27, 3:33 am, hhs <> wrote:
    > Hi
    >
    > Is there any of Cisco feature that let me measure the amount of
    > network usage per user or per ip address.
    > For example: I have 10 computer on my LAN, what can i do if i want to
    > know, let say pc01 use how many Mb per period of time? Is it possible
    > to do it?
    >
    > Thanks,
    > hhs

    Install software on each box and monitor it, or use snmp to poll the
    switch interfaces and graph the results (mrtg will work as well).
    Solarwinds engineer toolset can do this, as can many other free and
    not-free software packages.
    Trendkill, May 27, 2008

  3. hhs

    hhs Guest

    I have configure IP Accouting on Cisco Router.
    !
    interface FastEthernet0/0
    ip address 172.16.0.1 255.255.255.0
    ip accounting output-packets
    !

    And can view the output from the router, by using "sh ip accounting
    output-packets" it show me SourceIP DestIP Packets Bytes. That's the
    information i need, but i want to send all of this information to
    syslog server. Is that possible? If snmp can poll thoes information,
    how can i do it? Can you give any example?

    Thanks,
    hhs
    hhs, May 27, 2008
  4. hhs wrote:
    > Hi
    >
    > Is there any of Cisco feature that let me measure the amount of
    > network usage per user or per ip address.
    > For example: I have 10 computer on my LAN, what can i do if i want to
    > know, let say pc01 use how many Mb per period of time? Is it possible
    > to do it?
    >
    > Thanks,
    > hhs

    Hi

    netflow is adequate to this task. Let's have a look at
    http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/col...s6601/product_data_sheet0900aecd80173f71.html

    With ip accounting it's much to difficult to investigate. You had to sum up all lines
    for an specific ip and you can't see which traffic flows because no ports are shown
    in accounting. Another problem is that you can't find out when traffic was generated
    unless you do a clear ip accounting, let's say, every minute.

    Andre
    Andre Wisniewski, May 27, 2008
  5. hhs

    Trendkill Guest

    On May 27, 7:07 am, Andre Wisniewski <> wrote:
    > hhs wrote:
    > > Hi

    > > Is there any of Cisco feature that let me measure the amount of
    > > network usage per user or per ip address.
    > > For example: I have 10 computer on my LAN, what can i do if i want to
    > > know, let say pc01 use how many Mb per period of time? Is it possible
    > > to do it?

    > > Thanks,
    > > hhs

    > Hi
    >
    > netflow is adequate to this task. Let's have a look athttp://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/iosswrel/ps6537/ps6555/ps6...
    >
    > With ip accounting it's much to difficult to investigate. You had to sum up all lines
    > for an specific ip and you can't see which traffic flows because no ports are shown
    > in accounting. Another problem is that you can't find out when traffic was generated
    > unless you do a clear ip accounting, let's say, every minute.
    >
    > Andre

    Netflow is not bad, but it is usually hard to have a chart/graph of
    traffic over time for a single IP. If you just want to manage the
    heavy hitters and see how a particular link or path is being utilized
    throughout the day (like most of us do), the netflow is second to
    none, but if you just want an idea of who is doing what, netflow
    probably isn't the best tool for that. I also definitely agree with
    your comments about scalability of accounting and the lack of ability
    to easily refine the reports. If you had a tool like Solarwinds (not
    cheap, but should be other free options out there), it will use SNMP
    strings to poll a device. Basically you would need to setup snmp on
    the switch and/or router, but you must remember that measurement of
    bandwidth would be done at layer 2 in this solution, not layer 3, By
    setting up a SNMP string, you can then use a tool like solarwinds to
    'poll' the router by using an interface IP and the correct read or
    write string. When you connect to the router/switch, Solarwinds asks
    you which interfaces you would like to poll or watch, and then what
    kind of graph to create (1 min avg, 5 min avg, etc). This would allow
    you to graph each switchport on the switch (you would need to resolve
    what IPs/systems are on what ports the manual way with show arp |
    include and show cam or show mac-address-table.

    MRTG is free and runs on linux and works in very much the same way.
    You just need to remember that no matter what, these are averages and
    not actual down to the second traffic levels (unless you use the
    bandwidth meter portion). Polling a router every second can cause
    performance degradation, so using a 1 or 5 minute average usually gets
    a ballpark of what you are looking for.

    You can google any of these solutions for configuration examples and/
    or software options.
    Trendkill, May 27, 2008
  6. Trendkill wrote:
    > On May 27, 7:07 am, Andre Wisniewski <> wrote:
    >> hhs wrote:
    >>> Hi
    >>> Is there any of Cisco feature that let me measure the amount of
    >>> network usage per user or per ip address.
    >>> For example: I have 10 computer on my LAN, what can i do if i want to
    >>> know, let say pc01 use how many Mb per period of time? Is it possible
    >>> to do it?
    >>> Thanks,
    >>> hhs

    >> Hi
    >>
    >> netflow is adequate to this task. Let's have a look athttp://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/iosswrel/ps6537/ps6555/ps6...
    >>
    >> With ip accounting it's much to difficult to investigate. You had to sum up all lines
    >> for an specific ip and you can't see which traffic flows because no ports are shown
    >> in accounting. Another problem is that you can't find out when traffic was generated
    >> unless you do a clear ip accounting, let's say, every minute.
    >>
    >> Andre

    > Netflow is not bad, but it is usually hard to have a chart/graph of
    > traffic over time for a single IP. If you just want to manage the
    > heavy hitters and see how a particular link or path is being utilized
    > throughout the day (like most of us do),

    everytime i wanted to know which users is utilizating my links i also wanted to know
    with what services.

    > the netflow is second to
    > none, but if you just want an idea of who is doing what, netflow
    > probably isn't the best tool for that. I also definitely agree with
    > your comments about scalability of accounting and the lack of ability
    > to easily refine the reports.

    .... and you'll come to the point where you need to.

    > If you had a tool like Solarwinds (not
    > cheap, but should be other free options out there), it will use SNMP
    > strings to poll a device. Basically you would need to setup snmp on
    > the switch and/or router, but you must remember that measurement of
    > bandwidth would be done at layer 2 in this solution, not layer 3, By
    > setting up a SNMP string, you can then use a tool like solarwinds to
    > 'poll' the router by using an interface IP and the correct read or
    > write string. When you connect to the router/switch, Solarwinds asks
    > you which interfaces you would like to poll or watch, and then what
    > kind of graph to create (1 min avg, 5 min avg, etc). This would allow
    > you to graph each switchport on the switch (you would need to resolve

    i do not like the idea to poll switchports especially on switches with many clients
    connected to - as i use (up to 200 ports per switch). In most cases traffic is
    increased to bad levels on wan links so i need to know what's going on in there.
    The router's port is the common point.

    > what IPs/systems are on what ports the manual way with show arp |
    > include and show cam or show mac-address-table.
    >
    > MRTG is free and runs on linux and works in very much the same way.
    > You just need to remember that no matter what, these are averages and
    > not actual down to the second traffic levels (unless you use the
    > bandwidth meter portion). Polling a router every second can cause
    > performance degradation, so using a 1 or 5 minute average usually gets

    for our company 1 minute averages aren't dispersed enough, btw. we are serving
    exchange application. For most users these are good values, though.

    > a ballpark of what you are looking for.
    >
    > You can google any of these solutions for configuration examples and/
    > or software options.

    netflow can provide you with more detailed information as you can get with mrtg and i
    think sooner or later you'll need them.

    To find out how much traffic one PC is generating, netflow is oversized, of course.

    Andre
    Andre Wisniewski, May 27, 2008
  7. hhs

    Trendkill Guest

    On May 27, 10:55 am, Andre Wisniewski <> wrote:
> [...]

    > > MRTG is free and runs on linux and works in very much the same way.
    > > You just need to remember that no matter what, these are averages and
    > > not actual down to the second traffic levels (unless you use the
    > > bandwidth meter portion). Polling a router every second can cause
    > > performance degradation, so using a 1 or 5 minute average usually gets

    > for our company 1 minute averages aren't dispersed enough, btw. we are serving
    > exchange application. For most users these are good values, though.
    >
    > > a ballpark of what you are looking for.

    > > You can google any of these solutions for configuration examples and/
    > > or software options.

    > netflow can provide you with more detailed information as you can get with mrtg and i
    > think sooner or later you'll need them.
    >
    > To find out how much traffic one PC is generating, netflow is oversized, of course.

    I agree with all of the above, however the OP said 10 machines, not
    6500s with 200+ ports. For long-term monitoring, a solution of mrtg/
    snmp for wan/internet link usage is great, with netflow to tell you
    what is going on within that bandwidth usage. For short-term
    troubleshooting of bandwidth bottlenecks, including LAN and WAN, a
    rapid snmp poller is the best bet to avoid the problems associated
    with timeframe averaging', but agree that you only use it when you
    need it. Polling hundreds of 6500s with hundreds or ports each would
    not be a good idea by any means. For a small time LAN with no WAN
    links and perhaps an internet connection or two, simple snmp polling
    could give you most of what you need and perhaps netflow on the WAN or
    internet link. If you are really in a bind, simple ip route-cache
    flow with show ip cache-flow can show you the heavy hitters and their
    source/destination information.
    Trendkill, May 27, 2008
  8. Trendkill wrote:
> [...]

    > 6500s with 200+ ports. For long-term monitoring, a solution of mrtg/
    > snmp for wan/internet link usage is great, with netflow to tell you
    > what is going on within that bandwidth usage. For short-term
    > troubleshooting of bandwidth bottlenecks, including LAN and WAN, a
    > rapid snmp poller is the best bet to avoid the problems associated
    > with timeframe averaging', but agree that you only use it when you
    > need it. Polling hundreds of 6500s with hundreds or ports each would
    > not be a good idea by any means. For a small time LAN with no WAN
    > links and perhaps an internet connection or two, simple snmp polling
    > could give you most of what you need and perhaps netflow on the WAN or
    > internet link. If you are really in a bind, simple ip route-cache
    > flow with show ip cache-flow can show you the heavy hitters and their

    I agree with you. We are meaning widely the same. I only want hhs to think about it.
    Andre Wisniewski, May 27, 2008
  9. hhs

    Trendkill Guest

    On May 27, 12:51 pm, Andre Wisniewski <> wrote:
    > Trendkill wrote:
    > >> everytime i wanted to know which users is utilizating my links i also wanted to know
    > >> with what services.

    > >> ... and you'll come to the point where you need to.

    > >> i do not like the idea to poll switchports especially on switches with many clients
    > >> connected to - as i use (up to 200 ports per switch). In most cases traffic is
    > >> increased to bad levels on wan links so i need to know what's going on in there.
    > >> The router's port is the common point.

    > >> for our company 1 minute averages aren't dispersed enough, btw. we are serving
    > >> exchange application. For most users these are good values, though.

    > >> netflow can provide you with more detailed information as you can get with mrtg and i
    > >> think sooner or later you'll need them.

    > >> To find out how much traffic one PC is generating, netflow is oversized, of course.

    > >> Andre

    > > I agree with all of the above, however the OP said 10 machines, not
    > > 6500s with 200+ ports. For long-term monitoring, a solution of mrtg/
    > > snmp for wan/internet link usage is great, with netflow to tell you
    > > what is going on within that bandwidth usage. For short-term
    > > troubleshooting of bandwidth bottlenecks, including LAN and WAN, a
    > > rapid snmp poller is the best bet to avoid the problems associated
    > > with timeframe averaging', but agree that you only use it when you
    > > need it. Polling hundreds of 6500s with hundreds or ports each would
    > > not be a good idea by any means. For a small time LAN with no WAN
    > > links and perhaps an internet connection or two, simple snmp polling
    > > could give you most of what you need and perhaps netflow on the WAN or
    > > internet link. If you are really in a bind, simple ip route-cache
    > > flow with show ip cache-flow can show you the heavy hitters and their
    > > source/destination information.

    > I agree with you. We are meaning widely the same. I only want hhs to think about it.

    Yeah I could tell we agreed, just didn't want to confuse the OP. Lots
    of valid information in here when he/she is ready for the next step
    either way, so thanks for the added comments.
    Trendkill, May 27, 2008
  10. hhs

    hhs Guest

    Thanks for your idea guys,

    I guess Netflow is a good tools but it's not free and Cisco doesn't
    provide a trial version also. And MRTG is free but i think it's only
    show us a graph, can not tell us which user use the most, also can not
    calculate the Mb use also.

    The situation that i face is, our ISP provide the internet and measure
    the usage with amount of Mb use (like 100Mb = $...). And we think we
    did not use up to a ...MB amount, that's why we want to track that.

    Thanks,
    hhs
    hhs, May 28, 2008
  11. hhs

    Trendkill Guest

    On May 28, 3:05 am, hhs <> wrote:
    > Thanks for your idea guys,
    >
    > I guess Netflow is a good tools but it's not free and Cisco doesn't
    > provide a trial version also. And MRTG is free but i think it's only
    > show us a graph, can not tell us which user use the most, also can not
    > calculate the Mb use also.
    >
    > The situation that i face is, our ISP provide the internet and measure
    > the usage with amount of Mb use (like 100Mb = $...). And we think we
    > did not use up to a ...MB amount, that's why we want to track that.
    >
    > Thanks,
    > hhs

    There are free netflow tools like ntop. Check this out:
    http://www.networkuptime.com/tools/netflow/
    Trendkill, May 28, 2008
  12. hhs

    Guest

    On 28 May, 11:53, Trendkill <> wrote:
    > On May 28, 3:05 am, hhs <> wrote:
    >
    > > Thanks for your idea guys,

    > > I guess Netflow is a good tools but it's not free and Cisco doesn't
    > > provide a trial version also. And MRTG is free but i think it's only
    > > show us a graph, can not tell us which user use the most, also can not
    > > calculate the Mb use also.

    > > The situation that i face is, our ISP provide the internet and measure
    > > the usage with amount of Mb use (like 100Mb = $...). And we think we
    > > did not use up to a ...MB amount, that's why we want to track that.

    > > Thanks,
    > > hhs

    > There are free netflow tools like ntop.  Check this out:http://www.networkuptime.com/tools/netflow/

    Thanks for that. I looked a while back and could not find
    anything.
    , May 28, 2008
  13. hhs

    Stephen Guest

    On Wed, 28 May 2008 03:57:47 -0700 (PDT), wrote:

    >On 28 May, 11:53, Trendkill <> wrote:
    >> On May 28, 3:05 am, hhs <> wrote:
    >>
    >> > Thanks for your idea guys,

    >> > I guess Netflow is a good tools but it's not free and Cisco doesn't
    >> > provide a trial version also. And MRTG is free but i think it's only
    >> > show us a graph, can not tell us which user use the most, also can not
    >> > calculate the Mb use also.

    >> > The situation that i face is, our ISP provide the internet and measure
    >> > the usage with amount of Mb use (like 100Mb = $...). And we think we
    >> > did not use up to a ...MB amount, that's why we want to track that.

    >> > Thanks,
    >> > hhs

    >> There are free netflow tools like ntop.  Check this out:http://www.networkuptime.com/tools/netflow/

    >Thanks for that. I looked a while back and could not find
    >anything.

    Cisco provides a lot of links on their site - eg freeware netflow
    tools:
    http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/ios..._products_genericcontent0900aecd805ff72b.html

    generic page is at
    www.cisco.com/go/netflow
    --
    Regards

    - replace xyz with ntl
    Stephen, May 28, 2008
  14. hhs

    alexd Guest

    On Wed, 28 May 2008 16:48:32 +0000, Stephen wrote:

    > On Wed, 28 May 2008 03:57:47 -0700 (PDT), wrote:

    >> Thanks for that. I looked a while back and could not find anything.

    > Cisco provides a lot of links on their site - eg freeware netflow tools:

    I have successfully used NTOP as a flow collector with an 1841.

    --
    <http://ale.cx/> (AIM:troffasky) ()
    alexd, May 28, 2008