    that I need to create tables, triggers, indexes, etc. using a database
    product or does it mean I need to create some kind of database from scratch?

    Thanks!
    TomTom, Aug 8, 2004

  2. >If an exam asks me if I need to "develop" a data store, does it usually mean
    >that I need to create tables, triggers, indexes, etc. using a database
    >product or does it mean I need to create some kind of database from scratch?

    depends on the context of the term 'data store', i.e. the type of
    system which uses the 'data store'.

    Kline Sphere (Chalk) MCNGP #3
    The Poster Formerly Known as Kline Sphere, Aug 9, 2004

  3. TomTom

    Eric Guest

    > depends on the context of the term 'data store', i.e. the type of
    > system which uses the 'data store'.
    >
    > Kline Sphere (Chalk) MCNGP #3

    Isn't that where you buy data?

    Eric
    Eric, Aug 10, 2004
  4. TomTom

    TomTom Guest

    Your question totally makes sense. If you are developing a web application
    and needs to "develop" a data store, would it just mean to use a database
    product like SQL Server and create tables?

    TomTom, Aug 10, 2004
  5. >Isn't that where you buy data?

    lol!

    Kline Sphere (Chalk) MCNGP #3
    The Poster Formerly Known as Kline Sphere, Aug 10, 2004
  6. >Your question totally makes sense. If you are developing a web application
    >and needs to "develop" a data store, would it just mean to use a database
    >product like SQL Server and create tables?

    Again that is no way an answer can be [correctly] derived given the
    limited amount of information - there are too many assumptions to be
    resolved.

    Questions would need to be asked such as: -

    What is the business purpose of the 'web application'?

    How much of the information captured by the 'web application' is
    persistent?

    How much of the information captured by the 'web application' is
    transient?

    Does (or should) the 'web application' interact with other
    systems/services?

    Who and where are the users?

    What is the expected throughput (x10) of the 'web application'?

    blah,blah,blah

    But as this is a question for an ms exam I 'assume' (assumption being
    the mother of all four ups!!!) the answer would be to use ms's fine
    sql server product as a 'data store', defining relations,
    relationships, views, procedures, etc on the way to implementing a
    solution.

    Kline Sphere (Chalk) MCNGP #3
    The Poster Formerly Known as Kline Sphere, Aug 10, 2004
  7. TomTom

    Guest Guest

    For 70-300, they probably want you to know how to model a entity
    relationship based on a given business requirement. It may even ask a couple
    of questions about the SQL create database .. statement or perhaps expect
    you to know what is a primary and foreign key.

    Guest, Aug 10, 2004
  8. TomTom

    TomTom Guest

    Thanks for your help. Sounds like there is no clear answer. Even with
    context, I wonder if the meaning will be clear enough.

    TomTom, Aug 11, 2004
  9. >Thanks for your help. Sounds like there is no clear answer. Even with
    >context, I wonder if the meaning will be clear enough.

    hence why requirements elicitation is so important - 'are we building
    the right solution?'.

    Kline Sphere (Chalk) MCNGP #3
    The Poster Formerly Known as Kline Sphere, Aug 11, 2004
  10. TomTom

    Ted Guest

    "hence why requirements elicitation is so important - 'are
    we building the right solution?'."

    Whats the point in a question when the answer is always
    no? :)

    Ted

    Ted, Aug 13, 2004
  11. >Whats the point in a question when the answer is always
    >no? :)

    lol!

    Kline Sphere (Chalk) MCNGP #3
    The Poster Formerly Known as Kline Sphere, Aug 13, 2004