Meaning of "new and factory sealed condition" for A520

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by allenjo5@mail.northgrum.com, Dec 22, 2005.

  1. Guest

    I just received a Canon Powershot A520 from pcnation.com. It arrived
    quickly and seems to be in "new" condition. However, the box it came
    in is not in fact sealed in any way, either shrink wrapped or
    security-taped, which I thought was a bit suspicious. The contents all
    seem intact and not previously opened (cables, panasonic batteries, zip
    locked bag of manuals, 16 MB MMCard, wrist strap). The camera itself
    however was only in a bubble wrap type pouch. After examining it, it
    seems in excellent condition in that there are no scratches or
    blemishes of any kind on the case. However, the telescoping lens
    sleeves have some fine but fairly noticable horizontal striations
    across the front of them. Now, either this was incurred in the
    original manufacturing, or it happened after that, either because this
    camera was used and returned before or because it is refurbished. The
    fine scratches may only be cosmetic, but they are a bit annoying for a
    "new" item. The camera seems to function ok, but I've only taken a few
    pictures and not examined them in detail yet.

    I have yet to call pcnation, but this product was billed as being in
    "new and factory sealed condition".

    My question is: does anyone have first hand knowledge about what a
    truly new and factory sealed A520 looks like? Is the box supposed to
    be shrink wrapped?

    Thanks for any thoughts...

    John.

    , Dec 22, 2005

  2. Mark² Guest

    wrote:
    > I just received a Canon Powershot A520 from pcnation.com. It arrived
    > quickly and seems to be in "new" condition. However, the box it came
    > in is not in fact sealed in any way, either shrink wrapped or
    > security-taped, which I thought was a bit suspicious. The contents
    > all seem intact and not previously opened (cables, panasonic
    > batteries, zip locked bag of manuals, 16 MB MMCard, wrist strap).
    > The camera itself however was only in a bubble wrap type pouch.
    > After examining it, it seems in excellent condition in that there are
    > no scratches or blemishes of any kind on the case. However, the
    > telescoping lens sleeves have some fine but fairly noticable
    > horizontal striations across the front of them. Now, either this was
    > incurred in the original manufacturing, or it happened after that,
    > either because this camera was used and returned before or because it
    > is refurbished. The fine scratches may only be cosmetic, but they
    > are a bit annoying for a "new" item. The camera seems to function
    > ok, but I've only taken a few pictures and not examined them in
    > detail yet.
    >
    > I have yet to call pcnation, but this product was billed as being in
    > "new and factory sealed condition".
    >
    > My question is: does anyone have first hand knowledge about what a
    > truly new and factory sealed A520 looks like? Is the box supposed to
    > be shrink wrapped?

    Canon does not shrink-wrap their boxes. While some add a special logo tape
    over the opening of the box, Canon does not. The camera's booklet, cables
    and batteries should have been in plastic bags, and the batteries should be
    shrink-wrapped.

    -Mark

    Mark², Dec 22, 2005

  3. spo Guest

    wrote:

    > My question is: does anyone have first hand knowledge about what a
    > truly new and factory sealed A520 looks like? Is the box supposed to
    > be shrink wrapped?

    I recently took delivery of a new Canon A620 and, like you, I was
    surprised that the box had no shrink-wrap or other covering, and was
    concerned that it might have been opened for some reason.
    However, nothing appeared to have been tampered with, and nothing was
    missing. All was well :)

    spo, Dec 22, 2005
  4. Guest

    Thanks guys. It's good to know that Canon doesn't shrink-wrap their
    boxes. Now I don't feel so all alone :)

    , Dec 22, 2005
  5. Nomen Nescio Guest

    <> wrote in message
    >I just received a Canon Powershot A520 from pcnation.com. It arrived
    > quickly and seems to be in "new" condition. However, the box it came
    > in is not in fact sealed in any way, either shrink wrapped or
    > security-taped, which I thought was a bit suspicious. The contents all
    > seem intact and not previously opened (cables, panasonic batteries, zip
    > locked bag of manuals, 16 MB MMCard, wrist strap). The camera itself
    > however was only in a bubble wrap type pouch. After examining it, it
    > seems in excellent condition in that there are no scratches or
    > blemishes of any kind on the case. However, the telescoping lens
    > sleeves have some fine but fairly noticable horizontal striations
    > across the front of them. Now, either this was incurred in the
    > original manufacturing, or it happened after that, either because this
    > camera was used and returned before or because it is refurbished. The
    > fine scratches may only be cosmetic, but they are a bit annoying for a
    > "new" item. The camera seems to function ok, but I've only taken a few
    > pictures and not examined them in detail yet.
    >
    > I have yet to call pcnation, but this product was billed as being in
    > "new and factory sealed condition".
    >
    > My question is: does anyone have first hand knowledge about what a
    > truly new and factory sealed A520 looks like? Is the box supposed to
    > be shrink wrapped?

    Non of the Canon, Nikon, Pentax, Minolta, Sony, Olympus and Panasonic
    cameras are shrink wrapped. Normally it's only Fuji that does.

    ..

    Nomen Nescio, Dec 23, 2005
  6. RobG Guest

    "Nomen Nescio" <> wrote
    >Normally it's only Fuji that does.

    Not in Aus, they don't. I'm a scale modeller, and kit packaging varies
    between countries, even from the same manufacturer.

    RobG
    "Just take the damn photo"

    RobG, Dec 23, 2005
  7. Bob Williams Guest

    wrote:
    > I just received a Canon Powershot A520 from pcnation.com. It arrived
    > quickly and seems to be in "new" condition. However, the box it came
    > in is not in fact sealed in any way, either shrink wrapped or
    > security-taped, which I thought was a bit suspicious. The contents all
    > seem intact and not previously opened (cables, panasonic batteries, zip
    > locked bag of manuals, 16 MB MMCard, wrist strap). The camera itself
    > however was only in a bubble wrap type pouch. After examining it, it
    > seems in excellent condition in that there are no scratches or
    > blemishes of any kind on the case. However, the telescoping lens
    > sleeves have some fine but fairly noticable horizontal striations
    > across the front of them. Now, either this was incurred in the
    > original manufacturing, or it happened after that, either because this
    > camera was used and returned before or because it is refurbished. The
    > fine scratches may only be cosmetic, but they are a bit annoying for a
    > "new" item. The camera seems to function ok, but I've only taken a few
    > pictures and not examined them in detail yet.
    >
    > I have yet to call pcnation, but this product was billed as being in
    > "new and factory sealed condition".
    >
    > My question is: does anyone have first hand knowledge about what a
    > truly new and factory sealed A520 looks like? Is the box supposed to
    > be shrink wrapped?
    >
    > Thanks for any thoughts...
    >
    > John.

    Take a picture and see if the the image number is XXX.0001 or something
    like that. If the number is XXX.0018 or similar, it has been used.
    There is usually a way to reset the numbering system but if the store
    clerk is clueless or lazy, he may not have done so.
    If the number is XXX.0001, that does not guarantee it is NOT used. But
    if the number is XXX.0018, that does guarantee that the camera WAS used.
    Bob Williams

    Bob Williams, Dec 23, 2005
  8. Guest

    Yup, my first picture was 100-0001. So that's another good sign.

    , Dec 23, 2005
  9. Dave Cohen Guest

    "Bob Williams" <> wrote in message

    > wrote:
    >> I just received a Canon Powershot A520 from pcnation.com. It arrived
    >> quickly and seems to be in "new" condition. However, the box it came
    >> in is not in fact sealed in any way, either shrink wrapped or
    >> security-taped, which I thought was a bit suspicious. The contents all
    >> seem intact and not previously opened (cables, panasonic batteries, zip
    >> locked bag of manuals, 16 MB MMCard, wrist strap). The camera itself
    >> however was only in a bubble wrap type pouch. After examining it, it
    >> seems in excellent condition in that there are no scratches or
    >> blemishes of any kind on the case. However, the telescoping lens
    >> sleeves have some fine but fairly noticable horizontal striations
    >> across the front of them. Now, either this was incurred in the
    >> original manufacturing, or it happened after that, either because this
    >> camera was used and returned before or because it is refurbished. The
    >> fine scratches may only be cosmetic, but they are a bit annoying for a
    >> "new" item. The camera seems to function ok, but I've only taken a few
    >> pictures and not examined them in detail yet.
    >>
    >> I have yet to call pcnation, but this product was billed as being in
    >> "new and factory sealed condition".
    >>
    >> My question is: does anyone have first hand knowledge about what a
    >> truly new and factory sealed A520 looks like? Is the box supposed to
    >> be shrink wrapped? Thanks for any thoughts...
    >>
    >> John.
    >>

    > Take a picture and see if the the image number is XXX.0001 or something
    > like that. If the number is XXX.0018 or similar, it has been used.
    > There is usually a way to reset the numbering system but if the store
    > clerk is clueless or lazy, he may not have done so.
    > If the number is XXX.0001, that does not guarantee it is NOT used. But if
    > the number is XXX.0018, that does guarantee that the camera WAS used.
    > Bob Williams

    Taking Bob's post a step further, both my canon A cameras required the date
    to be set. Supposedly the later A cameras use an internal rechargable to
    maintain settings. I can't figure out where this internal battery is on my
    A95, but manual says to leave the 4 AA's in for a while to give it a first
    charge. My A40 used an accessable watch type cell.
    Dave Cohen

    Dave Cohen, Dec 23, 2005
  10. "Nomen Nescio" <> wrote in message

    > Non of the Canon, Nikon, Pentax, Minolta, Sony, Olympus and Panasonic
    > cameras are shrink wrapped. Normally it's only Fuji that does.

    I've purchased two new, never-used, and never opened Fuji digicams (here in
    the USA) and neither were shrinkwrapped.

    Peter A. Stavrakoglou, Dec 27, 2005