    Google was not my friend.

    Regards
    Miguel
    Miguel, Feb 23, 2007

  2. Miguel

    Malcolm Guest

    On 23 Feb 2007 13:01:55 -0800
    "Miguel" <> wrote:

    > Hi all....Anyone know the meaning of the abbreviation VOSTFR in
    > relation to avi files.
    >
    > I think it's "something something S-ub T-itles FR-ench"
    >
    > Google was not my friend.
    >
    > Regards
    > Miguel

    French Fansubs
    http://psgels.blogsome.com/category/finished-series/noein/
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fansubs/

    --
    Cheers Malcolm °¿° (Linux Counter #276890)
    SLED 10.0 x86_64 Kernel 2.6.16.27-0.6-smp
    Malcolm, Feb 23, 2007

  3. Miguel

    Miguel Guest

    Hello Malcolm.....Thanks for an interesting read. I'd never heard of
    fan-subbing.

    Still not sure what the 'V' and 'O' stand for though....Vegetarians
    Only :)

    Regards
    Miguel
    Miguel, Feb 23, 2007
  4. Miguel

    plustk

    Joined:
    Mar 24, 2009
    Messages:
    1
    Films screened in France will be advertised as VO and VF, meaning "version originale" and "version française". VF means the soundtrack has been dubbed into French.

    so:
    VO = original (language/audio) version
    ST = subtitled
    FR = French

    VOSTFR has just become standard as a way of describing .avi files. It also makes it very easy to search for fansubs.
    A similar (but more obvious) thing seems to have happened for the Swedes who have adopted "SWESUB", while the Italians and Spanish are the most internationally understandable with "sub.ITA" and "sub.Esp"...
    plustk, Mar 24, 2009