Meandering mouse problem

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by NZed, Jul 7, 2004.

  1. NZed

    NZed Guest

    My mother asked me to check out her computer with a suspect mouse. Without
    checking I bought her a replacement mouse.
    Plug in the new mouse...still have the same problem.
    The arrow just wanders around...and when you come to move the mouse it just
    hardly moves...except for exagerated movements.

    The new mouse didnt come with any PS drivers. Expecting it would use the
    standard XP home drivers.
    I have come to a blank....could it be a virus.
    I have checked with Adaware and AVG virus checker.
    Nothing has showed up.

    Ideas or suggestions to fix this problem.

    NZed

    ---

    NZed, Jul 7, 2004

  2. NZed

    Slyder Guest

    "NZed" <> wrote in

    What type of mouse? If it's an optical try it on a different surface (no
    mousepad)

    Slyder, Jul 7, 2004

  3. NZed

    NZed Guest

    It was a roller ...had the problem.
    I replaced it with an optical....no luck
    still has the same problem.
    Interestingly...when it boots up to the administration login.
    Its okay.
    But after the machine boots up....all hell brakes out.
    NZed

    "Slyder" <Newsgroup*@*waicomp.co.nz> wrote in message
    > "NZed" <> wrote in
    >
    > What type of mouse? If it's an optical try it on a different surface (no
    > mousepad)
    >
    > > My mother asked me to check out her computer with a suspect mouse.
    > > Without checking I bought her a replacement mouse.
    > > Plug in the new mouse...still have the same problem.
    > > The arrow just wanders around...and when you come to move the mouse it
    > > just hardly moves...except for exagerated movements.
    > >
    > > The new mouse didnt come with any PS drivers. Expecting it would use
    > > the standard XP home drivers.
    > > I have come to a blank....could it be a virus.
    > > I have checked with Adaware and AVG virus checker.
    > > Nothing has showed up.
    > >
    > > Ideas or suggestions to fix this problem.
    > >
    > > NZed
    > >

    > > ---

    ---

    NZed, Jul 7, 2004
  4. NZed

    Dave Taylor Guest

    "NZed" <> wrote in

    > It was a roller ...had the problem.
    > I replaced it with an optical....no luck
    > still has the same problem.
    > Interestingly...when it boots up to the administration login.
    > Its okay.
    > But after the machine boots up....all hell brakes out.
    > NZed

    Sounds like one of those joke apps.

    Check the startup places, and try running spybot search and destroy,
    Trendmicro House Call , and Pest Patrols online scans.

    Dave Taylor, Jul 7, 2004
  5. NZed

    ~misfit~ Guest

    NZed wrote:
    > It was a roller ...had the problem.
    > I replaced it with an optical....no luck
    > still has the same problem.
    > Interestingly...when it boots up to the administration login.
    > Its okay.
    > But after the machine boots up....all hell brakes out.

    Methinks you need to install a driver. I use MS Intellimouse 4.1 drivers
    regardless of the mouse. They seem to work with everything.
    --
    ~misfit~

    ~misfit~, Jul 7, 2004
  6. NZed

    frederick Guest

    "NZed" <> wrote in message
    <snip>
    > The new mouse didnt come with any PS drivers. Expecting it would use

    the
    > standard XP home drivers.

    <snip>
    But did the old mouse come with drivers / software that you need to
    uninstall first?
    Try booting in Safe mode - if the mouse works at the login screen, then
    maybe it is some incorrect software or malware loading at login.

    frederick, Jul 7, 2004
  7. NZed

    Richard Guest

    NZed wrote:

    > My mother asked me to check out her computer with a suspect mouse. Without
    > checking I bought her a replacement mouse.
    > Plug in the new mouse...still have the same problem.
    > The arrow just wanders around...and when you come to move the mouse it just
    > hardly moves...except for exagerated movements.
    >
    > The new mouse didnt come with any PS drivers. Expecting it would use the
    > standard XP home drivers.
    > I have come to a blank....could it be a virus.
    > I have checked with Adaware and AVG virus checker.
    > Nothing has showed up.
    >
    > Ideas or suggestions to fix this problem.

    Check the acceleration settings in the mouse control panel - I think its set to
    slow with full acceleration which is why you can get it to move if you really
    move it fast

    Richard, Jul 7, 2004
  8. NZed wrote:
    > Interestingly...when it boots up to the administration login.
    > Its okay.
    > But after the machine boots up....all hell brakes out.

    I had this a while ago, I installed Logitech Mouseware, and all was
    resolved.

    --
    Dave Hall
    http://www.dave.net.nz

    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Jul 7, 2004
  9. NZed

    Collector_NZ Guest

    NZed said the following on 7/07/2004 18:48:
    > My mother asked me to check out her computer with a suspect mouse. Without
    > checking I bought her a replacement mouse.
    > Plug in the new mouse...still have the same problem.
    > The arrow just wanders around...and when you come to move the mouse it just
    > hardly moves...except for exagerated movements.
    >
    > The new mouse didnt come with any PS drivers. Expecting it would use the
    > standard XP home drivers.
    > I have come to a blank....could it be a virus.
    > I have checked with Adaware and AVG virus checker.
    > Nothing has showed up.
    >
    > Ideas or suggestions to fix this problem.
    >
    > NZed
    >

    > ---

    You have an app conflicting with the address space used by the mouse control
    software. The most common candidate for this is extended video mode drivers.

    Check back to see what has been recently installed.

    Collector_NZ, Jul 7, 2004