ME 3400 and Wavelength

Discussion in 'Cisco' started by essenz, Aug 31, 2009.

  1. essenz

    essenz Guest

    Ok, so this is a weird question... Cogent is trying to sell me some
    bandwidth, but I think their sales people are lying to me.

    My datacenter actually provides them with the colo they use to light
    my the building I am in. All they have a single ME 3400, with two
    pairs of fiber, ring entrance, and ring exit.

    My assumption was the entire ring is running at 2Gbps (full-duplex),
    which causes concern, because thats alot of people sharing 2Gbps,
    especially if a few of them are large users/bursters.

    The sales rep said that they peel of a separate wavelength for each
    building, (6 buildings on the ring), so my building gets a dedicated
    2Gbps. My initial thought though was the ME 3400 was not CWDM, so what
    he is saying is not possible given the hardware they use. Is this
    accurate? Or can the ME 3400 do multiple wavelength like he is saying?

    Thanks
    John

    essenz, Aug 31, 2009

  2. essenz <> writes:
    >Ok, so this is a weird question... Cogent is trying to sell me some
    >bandwidth, but I think their sales people are lying to me.

    >My datacenter actually provides them with the colo they use to light
    >my the building I am in. All they have a single ME 3400, with two
    >pairs of fiber, ring entrance, and ring exit.

    >My assumption was the entire ring is running at 2Gbps (full-duplex),
    >which causes concern, because thats alot of people sharing 2Gbps,
    >especially if a few of them are large users/bursters.

    >The sales rep said that they peel of a separate wavelength for each
    >building, (6 buildings on the ring), so my building gets a dedicated
    >2Gbps. My initial thought though was the ME 3400 was not CWDM, so what
    >he is saying is not possible given the hardware they use. Is this
    >accurate? Or can the ME 3400 do multiple wavelength like he is saying?

    No, not any different than any other ethernet gear, but since CWDM is
    passive, the add-drop gear can really be anywhere. They could have
    even burried it in the manhole.

    drop out on the ring into the building. Put the right optics on the SFP
    in the switch. Away they go, no more thought to it.

    Doug McIntyre, Aug 31, 2009