MDS9222i ISLs & VSANs question?

Discussion in 'Cisco' started by Andrew Instone-Cowie, Sep 7, 2008.

  1. Hi,

    Question on configuring ISLs between a pair of Cisco MDS 9222i switches
    with VSANs:

    I want to have an ISL (actually an FCIP link) between 2 VSANs, 1 each on
    a pair of Cisco MDS 9222i switches. I do not want the ISL to link any
    other VSANs on the switches

    Switch1 Switch2
    VSAN 10 VSAN 11
    VSAN 20 VSAN 21
    VSAN 30 ---ISL/FCIP--- VSAN 30

    If I put the ISL ports (which in this case will be a fcip port) into
    VSAN 30 on each switch, is that sufficient to ensure that only those
    VSANs are linked? Or do I leave the ISL in the default VSAN and use a
    permitted VSAN list?

    I have looked at the MDS documentation, but I couldn't find exactly what
    I was looking for.

    Thanks
    Andrew

    Andrew Instone-Cowie, Sep 7, 2008

  2. Andrew Instone-Cowie <> writes:
    >Question on configuring ISLs between a pair of Cisco MDS 9222i switches
    >with VSANs:

    >I want to have an ISL (actually an FCIP link) between 2 VSANs, 1 each on
    >a pair of Cisco MDS 9222i switches. I do not want the ISL to link any
    >other VSANs on the switches

    >Switch1 Switch2
    >VSAN 10 VSAN 11
    >VSAN 20 VSAN 21
    >VSAN 30 ---ISL/FCIP--- VSAN 30

    >If I put the ISL ports (which in this case will be a fcip port) into
    >VSAN 30 on each switch, is that sufficient to ensure that only those
    >VSANs are linked? Or do I leave the ISL in the default VSAN and use a
    >permitted VSAN list?

    You'll want to use the trunk allowed list for what VSANs are permitted.

    int fcip ...
    switchport trunk allowed vsan 30

    They copied how the catalyst ethernet switches work for alot of the
    MDS line..

    Doug McIntyre, Sep 7, 2008

    Doug McIntyre, Sep 7, 2008
  4. Doug McIntyre wrote:
    > Andrew Instone-Cowie <> writes:
    >> Question on configuring ISLs between a pair of Cisco MDS 9222i switches
    >> with VSANs:

    >> I want to have an ISL (actually an FCIP link) between 2 VSANs, 1 each on
    >> a pair of Cisco MDS 9222i switches. I do not want the ISL to link any
    >> other VSANs on the switches

    >> Switch1 Switch2
    >> VSAN 10 VSAN 11
    >> VSAN 20 VSAN 21
    >> VSAN 30 ---ISL/FCIP--- VSAN 30

    >> If I put the ISL ports (which in this case will be a fcip port) into
    >> VSAN 30 on each switch, is that sufficient to ensure that only those
    >> VSANs are linked? Or do I leave the ISL in the default VSAN and use a
    >> permitted VSAN list?

    > You'll want to use the trunk allowed list for what VSANs are permitted.
    >
    > int fcip ...
    > switchport trunk allowed vsan 30
    >
    > They copied how the catalyst ethernet switches work for alot of the
    > MDS line..

    Thanks. Do I need to put the interface in the VSAN as well? Or just
    leave it default?

    vsan database
    vsan 30 interface fcip...

    Andrew