    Can anyone tell me what this means and what I need to do to correct.
    Thanks in advance for any help
    allan g
    allan g, May 6, 2004

  2. Allan,

    you forgot to mention what version of OS and what version of MDAC are you
    trying to install.
    This error could be due tio multiple reasons.

    One of them

    MDAC 2.x Requires DCOM95 to Install Under Windows 95, see:
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q191094&

    Victor Pushkin
    www.katygeeks.com
    Computer Support Services for Houston/Katy area.

    Victor Pushkin, May 6, 2004

  3. allan g

    allan g Guest

    Victor

    OS is Win xp and the version of MDAC is2.8 Set up

    Allan

    allan g, May 6, 2004
  4. It could be a system file protection problem. Please take a look at your
    system event log. Do you see an event like this?
    "File replacement was attempted on the protected system file
    c:\winnt\system32\odbcconf.dll. This file was restored to the original
    version to maintain system stability."

    Here is a solution for this case (see
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;286442)
    Method 1: Look for older Odbcconf.dll files on the system, rename them, and
    then reinstall MDAC.
    Method 2: If the Odbcconf.dll file is not the problem, download and unzip
    the Unmgrt.exe file that is provided in the "More Information" section and
    then do the following:
    Put the Unmigrt.cmd and Unmigrt.rsp files in a folder on the computer that
    has the problem.
    Copy the Mdac_typ.exe file for the version of MDAC that you tried to install
    to the same folder. If you are seeing the failure when you run the
    installations for SQL Server 2000 or Visual Studio .NET, download the latest
    Mdac_typ.exe files from the following Microsoft Developer Network (MSDN) Web
    site:
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/dataaccess
    The following list shows which version of Mdac_typ.exe you will use based on
    where you see the failure: Visual Studio .NETMDAC 2.7
    SQL Server 2000MDAC 2.6
    SQL Server 2000 SP1MDAC 2.6 SP1
    SQL Server 2000 SP2MDAC 2.6 SP2

    Run Unmigrt.cmd.
    Run the MDAC installation again. You should see that the MDAC setup is
    successful the next time that you try to install.

    Computer Support at KatyGeeks.com, May 6, 2004
  5. allan g

    allan g Guest

    Thanks for all help but it is all a bit too involved for me.I will try and
    get some assistance from a friend who is more Pc literate

    allan g, May 8, 2004