    Vir Brahmbhatt
    Sydney
    Australia

    VIR, Oct 30, 2009

  2. "VIR" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > Hi,
    >
    > I would like to get the certification in Database Administrator, but dont
    > know which one should i go for!!!

    You should go for the one you have *experience* with.

    > As i have been working in IT for last 3 years as a developer,
    > i just want to change it to database administrator side!

    The DBA certifications are not an easy road to follow and I do not recommend
    trying to pursue a DBA certification unless you have actual hands-on
    administrator experience with SQL Server 2005 or SQL Server 2008 in a
    production environment. The topics are complex and varied, and many of them
    are difficult to model in a training environment.

    In addition, having worked both sides of the road, I cannot stress enough
    the reality that the view from the 'administration' side of the road is
    entirely different than the view from the 'development' side of the road,
    and very little of your development exposure to SQL Server will translate
    into the DBA certification.

    Note: You might consider the Database Developer certification as a starting
    point, rather than the Database Administrator.

    However, all things considered (and excluding the question of experience),
    the choice between SQL Server 2005 and SQL Server 2008 certification is
    almost too easy.

    1. The SQL Server 2008 product is newer.

    2. Mainstream support for SQL Server 2005 expires in 18 months, so it's
    arguable that you could even complete the SQL Server 2005 MCITP:DBA
    requirements before your MCTS: SQL Server 2005 expires.

    3. The MCITP:DBA (SQL Server 2008) requires only two exams; whereas the
    MCITP:DBA (SQL Server 2005) requires three.
    (This is also the case for the MCITP:Database Developer
    certifications -- three exams for SQL2005; two exams for SQL2008.)

    --
    Lawrence Garvin, M.S., MCITP:EA, MCDBA

    Lawrence Garvin [MVP], Oct 30, 2009