MCSE Windows 2000 - Will it be phased out?

Discussion in 'MCSE' started by Matt U.K., Sep 14, 2005.

  1. Matt U.K.

    Matt U.K. Guest

    Hi all,

    I would like to go for MCSE Certification but now that MCSE is available for
    Windows Server 2003 will the 2000 track be phased out if so when?

    Many thanks in advance

    Matt U.K.

    --
    Machine Spec:-

    Motherboard: AOpen 'AX4R Plus' Intel E7205 Chipset (Granite Bay).
    Processor: Intel 'Pentium 4 3.06B' (Northwood,533 FSB) Socket 478.
    Memory: 1GB 'Crucial' PC2100 DDR.
    DVD Writer: 'LG' 4163B.
    DVD-ROM: 'Pioneer' DVD-106S.
    Hardrive(s):
    X2 Western Digital Caviar 80GB 'Special Edition' 8MB Cache 7200 rpm Ultra
    ATA/100,
    Sound Card: Creative 'Audigy 2'.
    Graphics card:
    'XFX GeForce 6600GT' 128MB DDR3 TV-OUT/Dual DVI (AGP).
    Monitor: 17" Samsung 'SyncMaster 700 IFT'.
    Keyboard: Windows 125 'AnyKey' Keyboard.
    Mouse: MS 'Intellimouse Explorer' 3.0 USB.
    Operating System : Windows XP (SP2).
    DSL Connectivity: SpeedTouch 510 v4 - 4 - Port ADSL Router (10/100Base-T
    Ethernet switch).
    3COM 10/100 (PCI) Network Interface Card (3C905CX-TX-NM).
    ISP: PIPEX 'Solo 2000' (2Mbps).

    Matt U.K., Sep 14, 2005

  2. Matt U.K.

    Rob Lindman Guest

    Hi.

    First, thanks for all the hardware info. I needed to know that you were
    using a 3C905CX-TX-NM.

    Next, of course the 2000 track will be phased out, it only stands to reason:
    They don't offer TRS-80 training in a lot of places these days, and
    Commodore 64 6502 assembly language is no longer a marketable commodity (or
    should I put that on my resume?). So, yes, eventually there will no longer
    be Windows 2000 certification.

    Now, someone else can answer the 'when' part, or maybe what follows will...

    It's probably best to become certified on the most recent version of any
    particular computer product. Given that Microsoft is producing a new version
    of their OS to be available next year, and that OS is supposed to be the
    'long term solution we've been waiting for', unless you or your employer
    have an immediate need, you might want to wait for that particular track.

    MCSB MCNGP #46 MCNGP.COM WHERE THE OBVIOUS IS JUST THE BEGINNING

    Rob Lindman, Sep 14, 2005

  3. Matt U.K.

    Matt U.K. Guest

    Your comments are about as much use as a chocolate teapot!

    Matt U.K.

    Matt U.K., Sep 14, 2005
  4. Matt U.K.

    Frisbee® Guest

    > Your comments are about as much use as a chocolate teapot!

    Mmmmm.... chocolate.

    Frisbee®, Sep 14, 2005
  5. Matt U.K.

    Neil Simpson Guest

    Matt U.K. wrote:
    > Your comments are about as much use as a chocolate teapot!
    >
    > Matt U.K.
    >
    > "Rob Lindman" <@> wrote in message
    >> Hi.
    >>
    >> First, thanks for all the hardware info. I needed to know that you
    >> were using a 3C905CX-TX-NM.
    >>
    >> Next, of course the 2000 track will be phased out, it only stands to
    >> reason: They don't offer TRS-80 training in a lot of places these
    >> days, and Commodore 64 6502 assembly language is no longer a
    >> marketable commodity (or should I put that on my resume?). So, yes,
    >> eventually there will no longer be Windows 2000 certification.
    >>
    >> Now, someone else can answer the 'when' part, or maybe what follows
    >> will...
    >>
    >> It's probably best to become certified on the most recent version of
    >> any particular computer product. Given that Microsoft is producing a
    >> new version of their OS to be available next year, and that OS is
    >> supposed to be the 'long term solution we've been waiting for',
    >> unless you or your employer have an immediate need, you might want
    >> to wait for that particular track.
    >>
    >> MCSB MCNGP #46 MCNGP.COM WHERE THE OBVIOUS IS JUST THE BEGINNING
    >>

    >> "Matt U.K." <mm_lewis@_No_SpAm_hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >>> Hi all,
    >>>
    >>> I would like to go for MCSE Certification but now that MCSE is
    >>> available for Windows Server 2003 will the 2000 track be phased out
    >>> if so when? Many thanks in advance

    What an ungrateful twat. Don't you like having the obvious pointed out to
    you then? Or was it cos he took the piss out of your hardware info <smirk>?

    --
    Regards
    Neil

    Neil Simpson, Sep 14, 2005
  6. Matt U.K.

    Jim Guest

    I agree with all that, except I would suggest going for the 2000 first. I
    only have about a year's sysadmin experience and am fairly fresh out of
    school. I am theorizing that ignorant HR Trolls will be dumb enough to
    think that someone with the new certification and the older certification
    has more industry experience than the young person only with a 2003
    (eventhough the resume only has about a year of experience listed). Not
    sure if that made any sense. Anyway, I have two exams left to finsih my
    2000 before I look at the upgrade exams. I have been lazy trying to finish
    it off since I have a job.

    Jim, Sep 14, 2005
  7. Matt U.K.

    Briscobar Guest

    Rob Lindman <@> rambled:

    > It's probably best to become certified on the most recent version of
    > any particular computer product. Given that Microsoft is producing a
    > new version of their OS to be available next year, and that OS is
    > supposed to be the 'long term solution we've been waiting for',
    > unless you or your employer have an immediate need, you might want to
    > wait for that particular track.

    I don't know about this part. It may not be "best", but it could be more
    productive in the long run. However, that totally depends on your employer,
    and if they're upgrading to the newest version of Windows. One may make
    him/herself marketable sooner if he/she passes exams with an older
    technology (say, Windows 2000), if he/she knows that product better. All the
    exams I've passed are Windows 2000 exams, but we use XP here, and we'll be
    upgrading to Server 2003 by the end of the year. And despite this, my job is
    secure, and I know that they're not going to hire anyone to replace me just
    because he/she is MCSE 2003.

    There's something to be said for knowing "legacy" products, as Windows 2000
    is coming to be known. Commodore 64 assembly language might be pushing it,
    but recent technology that is just now beginning to slide out of favor can
    still be quite lucrative. I know of more companies still running Windows
    2000 Server than those running Windows Server 2003. This may change within
    the next couple years, but by then, Vista will be out, with its desktop and
    server versions, and we'll be discussing this all over again. So, does it
    really matter? As long as companies keep pumping out imperfect software and
    operating systems, and customers' needs keep changing, we're stuck in this
    loop.

    So, to the OP, my answer is "Get your MCSE." 2000, 2003, it doesn't much
    matter, but I'd stick with the one you know best.

    --
    KB

    MCNGP #26
    If you don't hightail it over to www.mcngp.com, your job will be
    outsourced.

    Briscobar, Sep 14, 2005
  8. Matt U.K.

    Rob Lindman Guest

    We're here to help.

    Rob Lindman, Sep 14, 2005
  9. Matt U.K.

    Rob Lindman Guest

    Point well made.

    Rob Lindman, Sep 14, 2005
  10. Matt U.K.

    Rob Lindman Guest

    "Briscobar" <> wrote in message
    > Rob Lindman <@> rambled:
    >>
    >> It's probably best to become certified on the most recent version of
    >> any particular computer product. Given that Microsoft is producing a
    >> new version of their OS to be available next year, and that OS is
    >> supposed to be the 'long term solution we've been waiting for',
    >> unless you or your employer have an immediate need, you might want to
    >> wait for that particular track.

    > I don't know about this part. It may not be "best", but it could be more
    > productive in the long run.

    I love the word "probably", and the word "might". It's probably best to use
    words like "may not be" and "could be", but it might not be.

    > However, that totally depends on your employer,
    > and if they're upgrading to the newest version of Windows. One may make
    > him/herself marketable sooner if he/she passes exams with an older
    > technology (say, Windows 2000), if he/she knows that product better. All
    > the
    > exams I've passed are Windows 2000 exams, but we use XP here, and we'll be
    > upgrading to Server 2003 by the end of the year. And despite this, my job
    > is
    > secure, and I know that they're not going to hire anyone to replace me
    > just
    > because he/she is MCSE 2003.

    You're probably right, if one passes the exam they may know that product
    better.

    http://legacy.newdoom.com/

    > So, to the OP, my answer is "Get your MCSE." 2000, 2003, it doesn't much
    > matter, but I'd stick with the one you know best.

    Ok. That's good advice.

    Rob Lindman, Sep 14, 2005
  11. Matt U.K.

    Rob Lindman Guest

    "Frisbee®" <> wrote in message
    > "Matt U.K." <mm_lewis@_No_SpAm_hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >> Your comments are about as much use as a chocolate teapot!

    > Mmmmm.... chocolate.

    GMTA

    Rob Lindman, Sep 14, 2005
  12. Matt U.K.

    Briscobar Guest

    Rob Lindman <@> rambled:.

    > I love the word "probably", and the word "might". It's probably best
    > to use words like "may not be" and "could be", but it might not be.

    Is this what goes on in your head all the time?

    --
    KB

    MCNGP #26
    nerd32768 needs your business. Visit www.mcngp.com today.

    Briscobar, Sep 14, 2005
  13. Matt U.K.

    Matt U.K. Guest

    Hi,

    I've asked a simple question, I expected a "helpful" answer without the
    "smart" comments. Perhaps I should have said "when" instead of "will" my
    error. I'm going to assume that the Windows 2000 track "could" end this
    year or the next. when Windows Vista will be released.

    But, what's with comment about my hardware? The detailed sig file is there
    for a reason this is not the only newsgroup that I read (thank God!).

    And the insult (Neil), what up with that! This pc is an older machine used
    mainly for gaming. I have a Win XP Pro 64 bit (water-cooled) pc waiting in
    the wings (just waiting for the Intel P4 670 processor to drop in price).

    Jim,

    Thanks for your comment, good luck with your remaining exams.

    I thought this newsgroup was to "help people" not insult them. I do hope
    this is not the "norm" on here.

    Cheers anyway

    Matt U.K.

    p.s.

    I'm going to tell Bill that Neil was mean to me. LOL

    Matt U.K., Sep 14, 2005
  14. Matt U.K.

    Rob Lindman Guest

    "Briscobar" <> wrote in message news:...
    > Rob Lindman <@> rambled:.
    >>
    >> I love the word "probably", and the word "might". It's probably best
    >> to use words like "may not be" and "could be", but it might not be.

    > Is this what goes on in your head all the time?

    It could be, but it might not. Well, on second thought, it probably is. But... it may not be.

    Actually, I have a pie chart of all of it somewhere, I wrote a server component to allow me to create them on the fly, maybe I'll make a new one, or maybe not.

    MCSB MCNGP #46 MCNGP.COM WE MIGHT BE THE BEST DAMN THING ON THE NET SINCE CHOCOLATE TEAPOTS

    Rob Lindman, Sep 14, 2005
  15. Matt U.K.

    Jim Guest

    > I thought this newsgroup was to "help people" not insult them. I do hope
    > this is not the "norm" on here.

    Why can't you do both?

    Jim, Sep 14, 2005
  16. Matt U.K.

    Rob Lindman Guest

    > I've asked a simple question, I expected a "helpful" answer without the
    > "smart" comments. Perhaps I should have said "when" instead of "will" my
    > error. I'm going to assume that the Windows 2000 track "could" end this
    > year or the next. when Windows Vista will be released.

    > But, what's with comment about my hardware? The detailed sig file is
    > there for a reason this is not the only newsgroup that I read (thank
    > God!).

    Life is not what you expect, it's what you get. And you get what you pay
    for. And time is money. And now, you've wasted my time. Ergo, you owe me
    money, and I'm sending you a bill. Where do I send it? Who is to blame for
    this mess?

    Now, "Mr. Expectations and Demands", the people in this group "expected"
    questions about the MCSE exam from YOU without a lot of "smart" information
    about your hardware. That stuff goes in the OTHER group and we are OFFENDED
    that you had the NERVE to post it here just because you were too LAZY to
    remove it before you came here.

    The people in this group "expected" you to think your question through
    before you asked it.

    And furthermore, what about MY wants and MY needs?

    I am not here to live up to your expectations, I'm here to disappoint you,
    just like every other imperfect human being, and to serve the ruler of the
    world, Jtyc. I can choose to be helpful or not. I have free "will". I am the
    Prince of Zumunda! I renounce my throne!

    > And the insult (Neil), what up with that! This pc is an older machine
    > used mainly for gaming. I have a Win XP Pro 64 bit (water-cooled) pc
    > waiting in the wings (just waiting for the Intel P4 670 processor to drop
    > in price).

    To misquote the "Neurologically Enhanced Intelligent Lambada", "every action
    causes an equal and opposite criticism".

    > I thought this newsgroup was to "help people" not insult them. I do hope
    > this is not the "norm" on here.

    And since this group is designed to "help people" and not insult them, you'd
    better apologize to all of us, because not only did you cause us trouble by
    not thinking before you asked your question, you insulted us by saying our
    answers were "as helpful as a chocolate teapot"!

    Welcome to THE REAL WORLD, dominated by Jtyc, HE who triumphantly stands on
    his desk and raises his arms in the air, where we aren't as perfect as you,
    Mr. "Will It Still Be 2000 In 2025?".

    > I'm going to tell Bill that Neil was mean to me. LOL

    I'm going to tell Bill that you were mean to Neil, and to me, and that you
    didn't live up to OUR expectations.

    Plus, to add insult after injury, you had Righteous Indignation in defense
    of a position totally in the wrong!

    Geez, I hope the next person who comes in here to ask questions is someone
    who knows how to be APPRECIATIVE, and ask intelligent questions that are
    direct and to the point, and offers PRAISE to those who TRY to help. Why do
    we always wind up with these people who are never satisfied with an answer?
    People should learn to be grateful for the inadequate help we provide around
    here!

    MCSB MCNGP #46 MCNGP.COM WHERE THERE'S NO SUCH THING AS A STUPID QUESTION
    (unless someone else asks it)

    Rob Lindman, Sep 14, 2005
  17. Matt U.K.

    T-Bone Guest

    "Matt U.K." <mm_lewis@_No_SpAm_hotmail.com> wrote
    > I would like to go for MCSE Certification but now that MCSE is available

    for
    > Windows Server 2003 will the 2000 track be phased out if so when?

    The short answer would be "ask MS". IOW, we don't know.

    As for other's comments. You have to realize that MCSE is a professional
    designation intended for experienced IT professionals. You come here asking
    a question without even checking the MS website first, because if you did
    you would have noticed that MCSE2003 has been around for a while. Part of
    being an IT professional is being able to do your own research.

    Second, the sig line smacks of newbieism. Its the kind of thing that
    teenagers post in the web boards to impress everyone else with their
    hardware. One of the cardnial rules of usenet is "lurk before you post". If
    you had done that, you would have seen the style others use to post.

    HTH HAND
    --
    T-Bone
    MCNGP XL

    T-Bone, Sep 14, 2005
  18. Matt U.K.

    Jtyc Guest

    > I would like to go for MCSE Certification but now that MCSE is available
    for
    > Windows Server 2003 will the 2000 track be phased out if so when?

    Only Microsoft knows when they will retire the exam. If you think you can
    pass the tests now with the knowledge you have, take them. If you are going
    to have to study, I would just go straight to 2003 myself.

    Jtyc
    ------

    Predator 500
    White Brothers pipe
    K&N filter
    13T front sprocket

    Jtyc, Sep 14, 2005
  19. Matt U.K.

    Matt U.K. Guest

    Dear Bone-Head,

    I found the answer

    "The MCSE is currently available for two different products, Windows 2000
    (to be phased out by 2005) and Windows Server 2003."

    Link:- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MCSE

    Yes, I did check the web site before coming here for help. Yes I did know
    that MCSE 2003 had been around for a while. Research, what's that! LOL

    The detailed sig file is to pre-empt people asking what rig am I running, no
    other reason. If I wanted to impress people I'd build a rig running TWO
    'XFX GeForce 7800 GTX Extreme Editions (490/1300) 256MB GDDR3' in SLI mode
    and a 'Intel Pentium 4 3.73 Extreme Edition' with a couple of Raptors (RAID
    0) and gigs of ram.

    Usenet, now there's a word I have not heard in a while. I do "scan" a
    newsgroup before posting.

    Anyway, enough of this I have some studying to do.

    bye for now

    Matt U.K.

    Matt U.K., Sep 14, 2005
  20. Matt U.K.

    Matt U.K. Guest

    Rob,

    Geez you do go on and on and on ........... yawn zzzzzzzzzzzz

    Matt U.K., Sep 14, 2005