MCSE Win2k vs. win2k3

Discussion in 'MCSE' started by Jimm, Apr 18, 2004.

  1. Jimm

    Jimm Guest

    hy.

    I had maybe little old question but anyway. From few
    people I herad that now is better to start learning for
    MCSE Win2k3 then Win2k.

    So I have still time to decide for wich MCSE I will learn.
    At the moment I'm learning Wink2Pro (MS Press book for 70-
    210) and Win2kSer (MS Press book 70-215). And BTW I'm
    actuali newbie, I using Win2kAdvSer for about two month.
    But I know every day something new. :)

    I had instaled both Win2kAdvSer and Win Server 2k3 and I
    think it isn't so big diference then bettwen WinNT and
    Win2kAdvSer.

    So can you please tell me to with of both MCSE (Win2k or
    Win2k3) I should decide?
    Should I first made all exams for MCSE Win2k and than I'm
    just a two exams (I think 70-292 and 70-295) away of MCSE
    Win2k3?
    Or should I go direct to MCSE Win2k3 and forgot all about
    MCSE Win2k?

    Jimm

    Jimm, Apr 18, 2004

  2. Jimm

    Mark Scott Guest

    I would do the 203 track from now on, any knowledge can be used for Windows
    2000 also albeit with slight differences and lack of features.

    Mark Scott, Apr 18, 2004

  3. There is definately a huge difference between Windows NT and 2003. Don't
    study for NT and go for your 2003 exams, that would be a big flop.
    The difference between 2000 and 2003 is very slight, however. If you have
    the opportunity to start off fresh from 2003, I say take it.
    I'm only taking 2000 because I got windows 2000 books with my course, I
    would have been taking 2003 if I had the chance.
    Take your chance. :)

    Sartan Dragonbane, Apr 18, 2004
  4. Jimm

    Jimm Guest

    Then we got same "problem"; i got books for Win2k too. :))

    I talk about that with my family and I think my first step
    will be MCSA Win2k. From there is just 70-292 to be MCSA
    Win2k3...

    But I heard that support for MCSA/MCSE Win2k will be only
    to end of june. Is that true?

    Jimm

    Jimm, Apr 18, 2004
  5. Jimm

    Neil Guest

    "Jimm" <> wrote in news:0ae101c42589
    $056c08d0$:

    > Then we got same "problem"; i got books for Win2k too. :))
    >
    > I talk about that with my family and I think my first step
    > will be MCSA Win2k. From there is just 70-292 to be MCSA
    > Win2k3...
    >
    > But I heard that support for MCSA/MCSE Win2k will be only
    > to end of june. Is that true?
    >

    > Jimm

    negatory, according to

    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=fh;[ln];LifeWin
    or
    http://tinyurl.com/witl

    windows 2000 Advnaced Server will be supported till March 31st,2005 for
    stanard support and March 31st, 2007 for extended support.

    you're good for a couple of years and the differences in 2000 and 2003
    are something that you could learn fairly quickly (say 2 years<grin>)

    --
    Neil MCNGP #30

    Neil, Apr 18, 2004
  6. Jimm

    Jimm Guest

    OK, that is great. So, that mean you can get cert. for
    Win2k till March31 2005 or 2007?

    And what is the diference bettwen General Availability
    Date and Extended Support Retired?

    Jimm

    Jimm, Apr 18, 2004
  7. Jimm

    Rowdy Yates Guest

    "Jimm" <> wrote in news:09ea01c42561
    $f3e3bb20$:

    > hy.
    >
    > I had maybe little old question but anyway. From few
    > people I herad that now is better to start learning for
    > MCSE Win2k3 then Win2k.
    >
    > So I have still time to decide for wich MCSE I will learn.
    > At the moment I'm learning Wink2Pro (MS Press book for 70-
    > 210) and Win2kSer (MS Press book 70-215). And BTW I'm
    > actuali newbie, I using Win2kAdvSer for about two month.
    > But I know every day something new. :)
    >
    > I had instaled both Win2kAdvSer and Win Server 2k3 and I
    > think it isn't so big diference then bettwen WinNT and
    > Win2kAdvSer.
    >
    > So can you please tell me to with of both MCSE (Win2k or
    > Win2k3) I should decide?
    > Should I first made all exams for MCSE Win2k and than I'm
    > just a two exams (I think 70-292 and 70-295) away of MCSE
    > Win2k3?
    > Or should I go direct to MCSE Win2k3 and forgot all about
    > MCSE Win2k?
    >

    > Jimm

    do MCSE 2000 track and then upgrade to MCSE 2003.

    regards,

    Rowdy Yates, MCSE
    --
    Rowdy's Home Page
    http://rowdy_yates2.tripod.com/

    Rowdy Yates, Apr 19, 2004
  8. Jimm

    Rowdy Yates Guest

    Rowdy Yates <> wrote in

    > do MCSE 2000 track and then upgrade to MCSE 2003.

    p.s. my reasoning is that, i don't thnik the 2003 track/curiculum is as
    well developed as the 2000 courses/exams. also, the upgrade exams seem
    extremely easy.

    Rowdy Yates, MCSE

    Rowdy Yates, Apr 19, 2004
  9. Jimm

    MCSE 2003 Guest

    If you're planning on taking your time, go the MCSE 2003.

    If this is something you are likely to zip through, go MCSE 2000 first, then
    do the upgrade. The reason I say this, is there is more jobs around for MCSE
    2000's than 2003's.

    Most of us IT people would instantly recognise the MCSE 2003 cert as the
    superior one to 2000, but as far as most HR people I know, they take one
    look at your CV and say 'oh, they don't have an MCSE 2000, like we're
    searching for'...next.

    Best of luck with whatever you decide.

    --
    Regards,
    MCSE 2003

    MCSE 2003, Apr 19, 2004
  10. Jimm

    Neil Guest

    "Jimm" <> wrote in news:0a9201c42597
    $48b0c410$:

    > OK, that is great. So, that mean you can get cert. for
    > Win2k till March31 2005 or 2007?
    >
    > And what is the diference bettwen General Availability
    > Date and Extended Support Retired?
    >

    > Jimm

    whoops, my bad. I gave you information on when the product (Windows 2000)
    would be discontinued, not the exams. sorry. as for the discontinuation you
    have at least 12 months before they do anything about the 2k exams. If you
    look here:

    http://www.microsoft.com/learning/mcpexams/status/retired.asp
    or
    http://tinyurl.com/2rfpk

    you will see that the policy is to annouce discontinuation of exams 12
    months before the exam is actually retired. The link on the page for the
    list of exams scheduled for retirement does not list any of the 2k exams.

    as for the question of General availabilty vs extended, the FAQ link on the
    same page says:

    "* Mainstream support includes all the support options and programs that
    customers receive today, such as no-charge incident support, paid incident
    support, support charged on an hourly basis, support for warranty claims,
    and hotfix support.

    ** Extended support includes assisted support that may be charged on an
    hourly basis and can include hotfix support. To receive non-security hotfix
    support, an extended hotfix support contract must be purchased within the
    first 90 days following the end of a product’s mainstream support phase.
    Microsoft will not accept requests for warranty support, design changes, or
    new features during the extended phase."

    HTH

    --
    Neil MCNGP #30

    Neil, Apr 19, 2004