    I will be completeing my MCSE 2003 by the end of this month. Is there a need
    for me to take up MCDST, though i am an MCSE on 2003.

    Thanks in Advance
    MSV, Apr 9, 2008

  2. MSV

    John R Guest

    "MSV" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > Hi All
    >
    > I will be completeing my MCSE 2003 by the end of this month. Is there a
    > need
    > for me to take up MCDST, though i am an MCSE on 2003.
    >
    > Thanks in Advance

    From http://www.microsoft.com/learning/mcp/mcse/windows2003/default.mspx
    The MCSE credential verifies your ability to analyze the business
    requirements for information systems solutions, and to design and implement
    infrastructures based on Windows Server 2003.

    From http://www.microsoft.com/learning/mcp/mcdst/default.mspx
    The Microsoft Certified Desktop Support Technician (MCDST) certification
    helps you start your IT career by ensuring that you have the skills you need
    to successfully troubleshoot desktop environments that run on the Windows
    operating system.

    Do both apply to you? In most shops, these are two different jobs, helpdesk
    and network or technical support engineer. However in some (smaller) shops
    they expect their engineers to work the helpdesk. Do you see value in being
    able to market yourself with both? Do you have the requisite experience
    supporting (XP) desktops and (Office) applications? Will it buy you
    anything with your current employer?

    There are lots of folks (like me) that have both, but there are probably far
    more that have one or the other simply because they do address very
    different audiences.

    Congrats on the pending MCSE, btw.

    John R
    John R, Apr 9, 2008

  3. MSV

    MSV Guest

    I already have around 6 yrs experience in IT field and right now i am a part
    of my company Helpdesk.

    I have been given a deadline to complete MCDST by the end of next month.
    However, before that i need to clear 70-296 by the end of this month and next
    i need to clear MCDST as required by them.

    So, do u still suggest that i need to complete MCDST

    MSV, Apr 10, 2008
  4. MSV

    John R Guest

    "MSV" <> wrote in message

    > I have been given a deadline to complete MCDST by the end of next month.
    > However, before that i need to clear 70-296 by the end of this month and
    > next
    > i need to clear MCDST as required by them.
    >
    > So, do u still suggest that i need to complete MCDST

    You contradict yourself. If your employer requires you to do it, why are
    asking us?

    John R
    John R, Apr 10, 2008
  5. MSV

    Johann Guest

    Like John R, I have both MCSE (2003) and MCDST.
    This may be a moot point, if your employer requires you to do MCDST, but if
    it were up to you, I'd give the following advice:
    If you're planning on moving out of helpdesk shortly, and becoming a server
    engineer, then I don't think the MCDST is necessary. If you'll be on helpdesk
    for a while yet, while you complete your MCSE, then it could be useful for
    you.
    The exams shouldn't be difficult for someone with 6 years' experience
    supporting desktop OSes, particularly XP of course. This is particularly true
    if you're studying for MCSE as well.
    If I was in that position, I'd do the MCDST exams as well as the MCSE, for
    the following reasons:
    1. My employer requires me to. It's important to not anger your employer :)
    2. While MCDST doesn't count towards MCSE, it does count towards MCSA (as an
    elective), so it may help you attain this certification more quickly on your
    way to MCSE.
    3. It don't expect it will increase your study burden significantly. With
    lots of helpdesk experience and skillset that's extending towards MCSE, the
    MCDST exams shouldn't require a lot of time or effort for you to complete,
    relatively speaking.

    Johann, Apr 17, 2008