MCSE training

Discussion in 'MCSE' started by charlienospam@hotmail.co.uk, Jan 17, 2007.

  1. Guest

    Hi There,

    I've been working as the operations manager for a small company in the
    UK for the past 6 years. I've also become the 'IT guy' which has mainly

    involved basic desktop problems, setting up new PC's, setting up new
    users in active directory, managing company websites, delaing with
    developers etc. We use SBS2003 but it was set up by another company so
    whilst I know my way around it in a basic sense, I'm by no means
    knowledgable and entirely self taught. I'd like to bolster my CV with a

    decent qualification with a view to a career change to full time IT so
    I immediately thought of MCSE. I guess I'm after 2 bits of advice:

    1) Should I dive straight into an MCSE? I was thinking I would try one
    of the easier modules to get a feel for it.
    2) If I did, is it advisable to use something like winstructor.com in
    conjunction with the relevant reference books OR try and get my company

    to pay for an intensive course. I'm very wary of the many 'online
    training courses' because they seem to get a bad press

    Any advice is welcome!

    thanks
    Charlie

    , Jan 17, 2007

  2. Guest Guest

    <> wrote in message
    > Hi There,
    >
    > I've been working as the operations manager for a small company in the
    > UK for the past 6 years. I've also become the 'IT guy' which has mainly
    >
    > involved basic desktop problems, setting up new PC's, setting up new
    > users in active directory, managing company websites, delaing with
    > developers etc. We use SBS2003 but it was set up by another company so
    > whilst I know my way around it in a basic sense, I'm by no means
    > knowledgable and entirely self taught. I'd like to bolster my CV with a
    >
    > decent qualification with a view to a career change to full time IT so
    > I immediately thought of MCSE. I guess I'm after 2 bits of advice:
    >

    > 1) Should I dive straight into an MCSE? I was thinking I would try one
    > of the easier modules to get a feel for it.

    It's entirely up to the way you work, the Certifications aren't really meant to
    be a learning tool, but more of an "already got the experience" tool. Since you
    have some experience, then I would suggest taking an exam that you think you may
    be familiar with. If you're used to setting up Windows XP on the SBS2003 server,
    then I would suggest buying the MS Press book for exam 70-270.

    You can find that and many other books here:
    http://www.certguard.com/Store.asp

    > 2) If I did, is it advisable to use something like winstructor.com in
    > conjunction with the relevant reference books OR try and get my company
    >
    > to pay for an intensive course. I'm very wary of the many 'online
    > training courses' because they seem to get a bad press

    I'm not too familiar with winstructor.com, but preliminary checks indicate that
    they are providing clean material, so you should be ok with them. However, I
    would still recommend training material that has been approved by, and is
    endorsed by, Microsoft. SelfTestSoftware and MeasureUp are the only two
    companies that have earned the Microsoft Certified Practice Test Provider
    status, but if you'd like to see a list of other Practice Test Providers that
    provide legitimate material, check this page
    [http://www.certguard.com/reviews.asp]

    > Any advice is welcome!

    Give us a chance to help you.
    http://www.CertGuard.com/forums/

    --
    CertGuard
    You think you know IT?!?!

    Guest, Jan 17, 2007

  3. Kline Sphere Guest

    >I'd like to bolster my CV with a
    >
    >decent qualification with a view to a career change to full time IT so
    >I immediately thought of MCSE

    TRMML

    Kline Sphere (Chalk) MCNGP #3

    Kline Sphere, Jan 17, 2007
  4. PajaP Guest

    On 17 Jan 2007 06:55:17 -0800, wrote:

    >Hi There,
    >
    >I've been working as the operations manager for a small company in the
    >UK for the past 6 years. I've also become the 'IT guy' which has mainly
    >
    >involved basic desktop problems, setting up new PC's, setting up new
    >users in active directory, managing company websites, delaing with
    >developers etc. We use SBS2003 but it was set up by another company so
    >whilst I know my way around it in a basic sense, I'm by no means
    >knowledgable and entirely self taught. I'd like to bolster my CV with a
    >
    >decent qualification with a view to a career change to full time IT so
    >I immediately thought of MCSE. I guess I'm after 2 bits of advice:
    >

    >1) Should I dive straight into an MCSE? I was thinking I would try one
    >of the easier modules to get a feel for it.
    >2) If I did, is it advisable to use something like winstructor.com in
    >conjunction with the relevant reference books OR try and get my company
    >
    >to pay for an intensive course. I'm very wary of the many 'online
    >training courses' because they seem to get a bad press

    CompTIA may suit you best.

    Try CompTIA A+ and CompTIA Network+

    This way you will get some qualifications as soon as you pass them.
    Also the two of them combined can be used as the elective for an MCSA.
    I do not think you can use them for an MCSE elective but you can use
    CompTIA Security+ as an MCSE elective (and also as an MCSA elective).

    --
    Thx.
    PajaP

    PajaP, Jan 17, 2007
  5. Jorg Guest

    PajaP is right. Try the A+ and Network+ first. This will get you in the door
    and off on the right track. An MCSE is a rough start when trying for your
    first certification.

    Jorg, Jan 17, 2007