MCSE training kit for 70-215 - Practice Session problem!!

Discussion in 'MCSA' started by D Poulton, Jul 20, 2004.

  1. D Poulton

    D Poulton Guest

    I'm quite new to W2K and am working thru the MS Training
    book for exam 70-215. I have the evaluation version of
    W2K Server installed as per the previous practice
    sessions of the book and my hardware and specs all meet
    the requirements for the sessions. I'm stuck on Chapter
    3 page 114 during the file copy phase of the Setup
    Manager Wizard where you create a distribution folder for
    an unattended setup.

    At the point where you tell it to copy the dist files
    from the CD to your newly created Win2000dist folder, the
    error "Setup Manager cannot determine free space
    available on \\Server01\Win2000dist\. Error#1231. The
    network location cannot be reached."

    When I OK this message a further message appears "There
    is not enough space available on the \\Server01
    \Win2000dist drive to holdthe setup files. 312MB are
    needed and 0MB are available."

    I have double checked my initial setup of the evaluation
    version of W2K Server as per the training book, and also
    appear to have plenty of spare disk space available in C:
    so I'm at a loss as to why this is happening. Can anyone
    help me out please, any thoughts would be much
    appreciated as I'm keen to get thru this book and take
    the exam. 70-210 presented no problems when I worked
    thru it but I am really a 'beginner' still so it may be
    something simple or obvious! Many thanks.
    D Poulton, Jul 20, 2004

  2. D Poulton

    nerd32768 Guest

    > I'm quite new to W2K and am working thru the MS Training
    > book for exam 70-215. I have the evaluation version of
    > W2K Server installed as per the previous practice
    > sessions of the book and my hardware and specs all meet
    > the requirements for the sessions. I'm stuck on Chapter
    > 3 page 114 during the file copy phase of the Setup
    > Manager Wizard where you create a distribution folder for
    > an unattended setup.
    >
    > At the point where you tell it to copy the dist files
    > from the CD to your newly created Win2000dist folder, the
    > error "Setup Manager cannot determine free space
    > available on \\Server01\Win2000dist\. Error#1231. The
    > network location cannot be reached."
    >
    > When I OK this message a further message appears "There
    > is not enough space available on the \\Server01
    > \Win2000dist drive to holdthe setup files. 312MB are
    > needed and 0MB are available."
    >
    > I have double checked my initial setup of the evaluation
    > version of W2K Server as per the training book, and also
    > appear to have plenty of spare disk space available in C:
    > so I'm at a loss as to why this is happening. Can anyone
    > help me out please, any thoughts would be much
    > appreciated as I'm keen to get thru this book and take
    > the exam. 70-210 presented no problems when I worked
    > thru it but I am really a 'beginner' still so it may be
    > something simple or obvious! Many thanks.

    Is the partition you are using NTFS? if not, run
    convert c \fs:ntfs

    Nerd32768
    A+, Network+, MCP
    nerd32768, Jul 20, 2004

  3. D Poulton

    Guest Guest

    trying - may just start from the beginning again! It
    will not beat me......

    Guest, Jul 20, 2004
  4. D Poulton

    nerd32768 Guest

    >Thanks Nerd, sadly it is already NTFS but I'll keep
    > trying - may just start from the beginning again! It
    > will not beat me......

    you normally have to install ris on a different partition than the system
    partition
    nerd32768, Jul 20, 2004
  5. D Poulton

    catwalker63 Guest

    You may want to resolve the first error message first. I have this book and
    in reviewing the instructions my book path is c:\win2000dist, not the UNC
    path \\server01\win2000dist -- perhaps this is your problem?

    --
    Kelley
    aka catwalker

    catwalker63, Jul 20, 2004
  6. D Poulton

    Guest Guest

    check to see if your hard drive isn't partitioned, it
    maybe installing onto a small partition, some pc, used
    to come with a diagnostics partion ??? just a thought ???

    Guest, Jul 20, 2004
  7. D Poulton

    TechGeekPro Guest

    On Jul 20, 2004 "catwalker63" blathered:

    > You may want to resolve the first error message first. I have this book
    > and in reviewing the instructions my book path is c:\win2000dist, not
    > the UNC path \\server01\win2000dist -- perhaps this is your problem?

    The local path is where the actual installation files are located but the UNC
    path is where you run setup from on the client machine

    --
    TechGeekPro
    MCNGP #36, MCSA, A+, Net+, i-Net+
    TechGeekPro, Jul 20, 2004